Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adding an inverter???

We are in the process of buying an '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W-22 chassis. I've searched, but couldn't find a direct answer to: A 600W inverter was an option for this model. We don't have one, but would like one because we sometimes stay at Federal parks without hookups. Is the Itasca prewired for the inverter (12V input & 120V outlets)? Where would it go if the factory installed it? Has anyone actually installed one in a 35A? The MH currently has two 12V house batteries under the steps, which I will replace with two 6V CG-2 batteries. Has anyone installed two more batteries (4 total 6V) and where did you put the extra batteries?

Thanks, Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Wish I had one too. I will monitor and wait for suggestions. Sory I can't help you.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd think a call to Winnebago would be appropriate. They should be able to tell you about the inverter/wiring.
WINNEBAGO Help desk: 800-537-1885
You'll need the VIN number.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

A 600 Watt inverter has approximately a 6 amp capacity. Not a heck of a lot you can do with that. I know, I have one on my 2008 Winnebago. A higher capacity inverter may require additional batteries. Someone will be along shortly I'm sure and be able to give you some exact figures. At 6 amps you would barely be able to run the TV by itself and not turn on to many lights.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
...I've searched, but couldn't find a direct answer to: A 600W inverter was an option for this model. ...
I am looking at the brochure but I don't see the inverter as an option. That doesn't mean it wasn't. That does seem odd given all the entertainment packages it has.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I am looking at the brochure but I don't see the inverter as an option. That doesn't mean it wasn't. That does seem odd given all the entertainment packages it has.
The 600W inverter is there, on page 9 of the pdf, under 'Systems' and on the same line as the 7,000 watt generator: 2006 Sunrise Brochure

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
The 600W inverter is there, on page 9 of the pdf, under 'Systems' and on the same line as the 7,000 watt generator: 2006 Sunrise Brochure
DOOH!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking most W-22 chassis had the inverter just right of the entrance door. I know my 2004 Dolphin did. What do you want to run off the Inverter? If it's just TV, laptop and the like 600 watts is fine. Besides if you go much bigger you will have to add batteries.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

A little more wiring the DC side

This is the required DC wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter wiring DC.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	27662  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It would be a pretty dern HUGE TV that can't operate on a 600 watt inverter...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

A little wiring the AC side

All of the drawings you need are on the Winnebago Web Site.
Without the inverter RCP-1 wires directly to RCP-B
The Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation drawing shows the location of the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter wiring.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	27698  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter

I have a 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L with the 600 watt inverter.It is only connected to the living/bedroom TV's, DVD, satelite reciever and passenger side electrical outlets. 600 watts is not large enough to power boondocking thats what I use the genset is for
rvrover2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

An add on to my coach is two additional batteries (4 total) and a 3000 watt inverter. The two added batteries and the inverter are installed in the stage bay next to the utilities bay. The inverter is wired to a jack in the wall between the compartments. To use just plug the shore cable into this inverter jack.

Running the generator will switch input to the genny just as it would if on shore power.

Simple install and works.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies!!

Thanks to all who have replied. I don't have the MH in my possession yet. The dealer is still preping it out--6 new tires, etc. We will take delivery later this week. I'm just getting my ducks lined up for our 3-month journey to Florida this winter. We're buying the Itasca from a Winnebago dealer, so maybe they can give us a special deal on buying the 600W inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
All of the drawings you need are on the Winnebago Web Site.
Without the inverter RCP-1 wires directly to RCP-B
The Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation drawing shows the location of the inverter.
grtharris--Thanks for the wiring diagram. I've downloaded the complete diagram (22MB) and still trying to sort it all out. It appears the inverter must have a passthru transfer relay to allow either inverter or shore power to the outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrover2010 View Post
I have a 2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L with the 600 watt inverter.It is only connected to the living/bedroom TV's, DVD, satelite reciever and passenger side electrical outlets. 600 watts is not large enough to power boondocking thats what I use the genset is for
rvrover--This is exactly how we plan on using our "new" MH. On my old MH, I had a 250 watt portable inverter attached to the batteries to power up the laptops and charge the cell phones. I would use the genny for the microwave and battery charging, etc. Just looking to expand a bit and maybe watch the TV's through the Home Theater Sound System. After looking at the Winnebago/Itasca brochures, it appears the 600W inverter is made by "Dimensions". The Dimensions website says their current 600W inverter is a "quasi"-sine wave unit, not a pure sine wave. Is your inverter the same? Do you have a model number for your inverter? Have you changed out your TV's to LCD/LED and have you had any issues with powering them or a laptop through the inverter? BTW, as part of our RV buying quest, we did look at an '07 Voyage 35L. We loved the floorplan, but the inside of the unit we saw was a bit ratty looking so we passed on it. We also looked at an '06 Voyage 35D with 9K miles on it. We loved that floorplan also and the MH looked like new. This unit was on consigment at the Winnebago dealer we ended up buying the Itasca from, but the owner was so upside down on cost, we decided to pass (plus it was built on a 20.5K lb. chassis instead of the 22K).

Thanks again, Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
This is how I added a Xantrex 2k psw inverter to our coach (I know it's not a Winne) and simply plug in the shore power cord to the inverter whenever not connected to external el. Runs every outlet, both friges, etc while going down the road except the AC's and HW heater (on gas when no external el.). Taped into the house batts 4/0 pos feed line with 14" of 2/0 and wired ground to the chassis with 2' of 2/0. When we are in a parking lot overnight we switch inside frige to gas and run the dual controls 130w heating blankets, 2 tvs, laptops, gas furnace etc. and coffee maker in the am and can do it for 2 days on the 4 6v batteries. It auto switches (if we need to run the genny for AC/s or battery charging) and doesn't overheat in the el bay. We do unplug the battery charger(converter) when running on the inverter (wasted el. loop efficiency if not) but the house batteries will charge from the BIRD system (engine alternator) when going down the road. `Works for us and we know everyones needs are different. Food for thought as we couldn't imagine being tied to only a few live outlets from the inverter. Just installed the Progressive EMS-HW50C so no cover. Ditto "vsheetz". Next is to extend the converters power cord on the left so it will plug into the (switched from inside the coach) engine block heater outlet on the right.

Name:	DSCN9195_01.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	27766
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter

Just for your information.....I had my Winnebago Sightseer set up with solar powered by two panels generating 265 watts of power. I have this hooked up to a 1200 watt inverter. I had several more outlets installed (different color than the electrical ones) so that I can plug in equipment to run just from the solar power and inverter. I can run a 26" TV, a hot plate, and a plug in electric heater with no problem. In the morning I can use the toaster oven to make toast. I have a small vacuum that I use to clean the RV and can run this off the 1200 watt inverter also. I use two (2) 105 Trojan 6v batteries and have had no problems with power. If I run the furnace at night I will drop from 100% to about 89-91% on the battery level.
This battery set up and inverter should work just fine for you also. You just have to find a way to keep your batteries charged. If you travel a lot driving the coach should have the batteries charged at the end of the day. If you boondock you will need a generator to keep the batteries charged (this takes awhile depending upon how low your batteries get overnight). I know your rig has a generator but a worthwhile investment would be a 1000-2000 watt Honda/Yahmaha generator as they are QUIET.
Happy traveling.......
Kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
An add on to my coach is two additional batteries (4 total) and a 3000 watt inverter. The two added batteries and the inverter are installed in the stage bay next to the utilities bay. The inverter is wired to a jack in the wall between the compartments. To use just plug the shore cable into this inverter jack.

Running the generator will switch input to the genny just as it would if on shore power.

Simple install and works.
Normally they use a 2000 watt inverter with four deep cycle six volt batteries and go up to at least six and usually eight with a 3000 watt inverter or at least that's what Newmar does.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter