Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

access to converter

Does anyone know how to access the converter on a 2008 Sightseer 35M. It's under the fridge but we can't see anyway to reach it from beneath inside or out.
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Generally, it's behind or beneath the circuit/fuse box. Do you have a fuse box beneath the fridge? If so, that's where the converter usually is. Sometimes built into the back of the fuse box - sometimes on the floor behind it.

I looked up your coach's wiring diagram - by the way there is no 35M there is a 35J and a 34M - I looked at the 34M diagram.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram. Look at the "Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation" diagram:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_164838.pdf

It's behind the fuse box-- which is actually called the Load Center:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 12.06.06 PM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	183071  
Old 06-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just to clarify some terminology:

Converter as used in the RV industry consists of an AC panel with breakers for each service, a fuse panel with fuses for each service (both are the load center) and a CHARGER that is behind the load center towards the bottom.

To get to the charger portion of the converter, you open the flip up panel covering and unscrew the screws holding the face to the converter box. The charger is in the bottom of that box.

David
Old 06-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

IF they have the 34M. I also looked in on the drawings and had some doubts as it seems to be a stand alone item mounted on the wall as shown above. But my first question was if they really needed to get to the converter and what might be driving that idea as it looks like a fair amount of trouble if just wanting to chase an idea like it is not charging.

But not knowing what model they are dealing with, that put a stop to much thinking on other items easier to reach for testing.

If it feels like the converter has failed due to finding no output, I might want to first verify that it is getting the 110 AC to work and that would also involve looking at the wiring going from the load center toward this outlet to see that the converter cord is still plugged. One way to do that would be to check the 110AC wiring going to the outlet to see it have resistance between neutral and hot wires. No resistance at that point might mean the converter plug has fallen out of the wall!

Another point to check might be if they have a load shedder as the relays can be a problem.
But to get good info, one has to be looking at the right RV?

With each of these models having two different wiring plans for power to the converter, depending on what water heater is used, that makes room for lots of guessing and far too many places to look for trouble without knowing they even HAVE that item??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	183072  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My 07 Meridian's "converter" is located under the frig also. The panels under the frig also contain the 12v fuses, speaker, and propane detector.

The best way I was able to get to the convertor was through the holes provided by the speaker.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Generally, it's behind or beneath the circuit/fuse box. Do you have a fuse box beneath the fridge? If so, that's where the converter usually is. Sometimes built into the back of the fuse box - sometimes on the floor behind it.

I looked up your coach's wiring diagram - by the way there is no 35M there is a 35J and a 34M - I looked at the 34M diagram.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram. Look at the "Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation" diagram:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_164838.pdf

It's behind the fuse box-- which is actually called the Load Center:
Sorry yes it's a 34M model. We can see the converter behind the fuse box but it's mounted on the wall up and to the right of the fuse box opening and too small to reach it. There's a return heater vent on that wall just below it but the vent won't allow access because the dinette extends beyond the slideout wall blocking access to the vent. Hopefully we never have to replace the converter because it's going to be a bear.

We were just looking to see if there's a heavy gage wire going between the converter and batteries that we could tap into to connect our portable solar panels. Hooking the solar panels into the batteries under the entry steps limits locating them in the sun.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's much appreciated.
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Site Team

You should place the solar charge controller near the batteries and run the wiring from the solar panels to the solar charge controller and then run wires directly from the charge controller to the battery. Best to not try to just use the wires from your Converter to your battery.

You'll want to put a fuse between your solar panel output and your charge controller. It would be wise to also have a cut off in there too. They make fused cut offs that will give you both functions in one.

The size of the wiring depends on the distance of the run, the voltage from the panels and your total wattage from your panels. For instance, if you're running 12v nominal panels with 400 or less watts of output you would likely be OK with 10ga wiring as long as the distance isn't too far. 400w of solar panels output less than 30amps of current and 10ga wire is perfect for that amount or less.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
Just Trying to Help

dennysbabe-

It may not be as difficult as you think to reach the converter:

1) Shut off all 120V sources
2) Remove the metal panel over the 120V circuit breakers (it's painted grey)
3) Remove the "load center" from the cabinet

If someone was smart enough to leave slack, you should have enough room to move the load center aside and access the converter (for that matter, all the space and devices behind the load center). If someone wasn't smart enough, then some work may be needed to remove wires from the load center sufficient to set the load center aside.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Knowing what it is you are needing gives a different way to go as much of that info is online for your RV age group!

This is the drawing of your converter plan,givng the wire ID's. Using those ID with this chart, you can get the use, size and color of the wires:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Using those two, it looks likely you might want to look at wire K and it shows a number 6 black wire!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	converter wires.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	183081  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
My 07 Meridian's "converter" is located under the frig also. The panels under the frig also contain the 12v fuses, speaker, and propane detector.

The best way I was able to get to the convertor was through the holes provided by the speaker.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!! Well at least that is where mine is located on my 07 Journey. Took some measurements and it looks like it will squeeze out the sub woofer hole. The Propane sniffer is also there if you need to get a second hand on it.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

access

this is for access only, just remove speaker, punch out that panel , just held in with pin nails, all the room you need for testing or repair, to reinstall just drill 4 corners of speaker panel and reinstall thru speaker hole , from back side with correct length screws then reinstall speaker. easy peesy
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Interesting. We have a 2008 sightseer 29r and the drawer under the fridge gives a pretty good size opening to the area behind the fuse box. I’m guessing you don’t have a drawer .

In case, on each side of the door slide there is a little leaver in the track. Push one up, the other down and pull out the drawer.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:19 AM   #13
Just Trying to Help

By the drawings, for this year/model there's no drawer under the fridge, and it seems no speakers, either. That said, there appears to be two pantry doors to the right of the refrigerator, the lower of which is directly over the converter. The OP can investigate this and let us know if there's any access possible through the pantry.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Mine has a hinged access door with a removeable panel with the 110V breakers.
Moved it under the sofa together with lifepo4 and inverter.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter