Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AC to DC Converter Fried?

Hi friends! I think I made a mistake with my self-built 30a shore power extension cable and I *think* I moderately cooked my AC/DC converter. I got my handy-dandy multimeter out and measured power at all points in the breaker box under the stove - power is good at all locations EXCEPT the output of the converter. One time I got ~7v, another I got ~14v. From what I understand it should be outputting 12v ONLY - is that accurate? If so, I'll buy another one and install it...all other troubleshooting points to this being the culprit.
PalidaMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, the obvious first question is did the AC breaker that feeds the converter trip? It may have and it isn't obvious. Check the AC voltage at the breaker's output.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you sure that where you are checking is the output of the converter? I don't think of breakers on the output of the converter as that is often just direct connection to the battery for charging, therefore should always read the battery voltage?

If one is not sure it is the input/output question, I might guess that the problem is a run down battery to explain the 7 volt reading and then when the battery is getting charged it would explain the 14 as being from the charging.

If this is true, some reading on "surface charge" may help.

But there is a lot of guessing there due to not knowing what RV , etc. !!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

So I replaced the AC to DC converter and that was indeed the problem. I didn't realize just how much stuff in the RV is controlled by it - big lesson learned!
PalidaMors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter