Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

GFI AC Outlet Issue 2017 Sunstar 30T

Hey all, looking for a little direction on a problem. I have enough handyman knowledge and experience to take care of most problems but it can’t hurt to ask if what I am doing is correct. I have a GFI that feeds the kitchen, bathroom and hallway. Said GFI tripped and could not be reset. Bought a new one, installed and this one too would not reset.

Figure there is a outlet downstream of the GFI that is cause the ground fault condition. Was going to disconnect each outlet one at a time until the GYI will reset and then replace that outlet or fix the wiring there.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2017 Sunstar 30T
Old 05-24-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Swampy,
That sounds like a good starting point. You could also make sure the wiring looks well installed in each break-out box. Another possibility is that your replacement GFI is faulty too. I have heard of those stories.
Good luck, and let us know what you find, OK?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Being a cynic and always looking for an easy way, I would first want to check there is 110AC getting to the GFCI outlet before chasing further in that direction.Keep in mind the reset will not work if there is no power to it!

But what to do next will oftendepedn on what you have done up to this! So have you checked to see there is AC there? A quick way to find out might be to check the outlet at the sofa?

If not, the real problem might just be the breaker has tripped??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gfci.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	182943  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the lack of updates, took the coach in for some long scheduled bodywork and will be picking it up in the AM. Will update as I check it. Richard, the breaker wasn’t tripped, will check for power tomorrow.

Thanks All
Old 05-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

No problems with slow responses! Wea ll have different lives to live at times. Always nice to get feedback to see if it made sense but I've found there is no point in holding my breathe!

Always good practice to not just look at the breaker but flip it off and back on fully as they can sometimes trip and the handle doesn't move to show it.
Tricky little things to make us chase around and around!

Little point is that the GFCI may not reset if it is not getting power to that point, so tryingto reset when unplugged, etc. can trick you?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Alright, got the coach home and did some detective work. I believe at this point it was the repairman’s (me) fault that the new GFI didn’t work. Checked that I had power coming to it from the breakers. Checked all connections but couldn’t get the reset to work. Took it off and checked the back. I had assumed the load and line were the same on the old and new GFI so matched which wires went where. Turns out the line was on the top terminals on the new one and the bottom on the old. Hooked them up correctly and bingo was able to reset and all downstream outlets work!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Glad you found it, and just in time for a Memorial Weekend campout!
Thanks, Eagle5