Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AC out after loss of power

This past weekend I went on my second outing in my brand new 24 D View. I left the camper with a comfortable 72 degree temp inside and the AC on auto. When I returned ~ 8 hours later, it was 94 degrees inside and the AC was completely off. I knew there was a loss of power because the microwave time was showing 0:00 and it was previously set to current time. I inquired with the campground attendant who confirmed that there was a short loss of power mid-day. Everything else seemed OK- the refrigerant was cooling and one light was on. I would have expected my AC to kick back on...I discussed with a friend who did a test with her camper (not a Winnie) and she turned on her AC, killed the power, and turned the power back on and the AC started back up. Should my AC have restarted when the power came back up at the campground? Thanks!
1win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

“I left the camper with a comfortable 72 degree temp inside and the AC on auto. When I returned ~ 8 hours later,..”

Hopefully not running your generator. You takes your chances leaving with systems on or “auto” and sometimes the dice show snake eyes.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have tested our generator on auto just in case of loss of electricity and it has worked fine. Did you ever test yours???

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

No, Sue, I don't have an "automatic" starter on my little Westinghouse inverter generator nor have I used it in the last 60 days/nights of camping except for weekly exercise. Actually no need with my silent solar system. Runs everything except the A/C and microwave.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

1Win,
There is a very good reason to have a surge protector for the electrical system of an RV. Complete power losses from the pedestal should not be a problem but if the power surges or "brown out" occurs things happen. I have seen where power losses start with a dimming of the lights 2 or 3 times then the power goes out, or comes back on. It is those 2 or 3 times within an extremely short time frame that the damage can occur.

Check the starting capacitor in the AC, also any fuses associated with the AC. A voltage drop could have blown a fuse or circuit breaker.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1win View Post
This past weekend I went on my second outing in my brand new 24 D View. I left the camper with a comfortable 72 degree temp inside and the AC on auto. When I returned ~ 8 hours later, it was 94 degrees inside and the AC was completely off. I knew there was a loss of power because the microwave time was showing 0:00 and it was previously set to current time. I inquired with the campground attendant who confirmed that there was a short loss of power mid-day. Everything else seemed OK- the refrigerant was cooling and one light was on. I would have expected my AC to kick back on...I discussed with a friend who did a test with her camper (not a Winnie) and she turned on her AC, killed the power, and turned the power back on and the AC started back up. Should my AC have restarted when the power came back up at the campground? Thanks!
Your A/C should have restarted but...

Sometimes when the power comes back on you can get a low voltage situation and things will not run or the current draw is so high it trips the breaker. When you returned what was the status of the pedestal breaker, your internal 30 amp breaker, and the A/C unit 20 amp breaker. If any of those were tripped, you found the answer.

If you haven't purchased an EMS system, get one now. A Progressive PT-30X would have protected your systems against low voltage, only restarted the A/C unit after a 2 minute delay to allow voltage to stabilize, and so on. If something else happened, it would also store the error code that caused the failure. Good investment.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thanks everyone. I was not using the generator and thankfully I did have a surge protector in place. I spoke with a rep at Winnebago Ind yesterday and I think we solved the issue. I had the "House/Coach Battery Disconnect Switch" in the off position; therefore, when the electricity kicked back on, the thermostat did not reset. Always run in the "on" position unless parked for long periods of time. I'm going to test it ASAP. Good to know. More importantly- read that owner's manual front to back ASAP.
1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power