Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AC or DC lighting

Okay my vintage Winnebago travel trailer will be delivered tomorrow and I'm very excited about it. I know it's going to need some work and one of the area's is the lighting. How do you decide what lighting gets AC power and what gets DC power? Or does it really matter? I'm planning on rewiring and removing and replacing all the lighting and probably adding more lights. Also, what about the electrical box? Can I just install a 100-amp circuit box? Thanks for any help or suggestions I really appreciate it.
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

All of the lighting in an RV is 12 volt. There is no 120 vac lighting in an rv.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

With the current technology of LED lighting, that decision has been made for you. Use 12V Led lights. Price for rv lights has dropped a lot in the last 5 years and there are a lot of options. Led lights are so efficient that you could run all light power on a 5 amp fuse. No major panel needed. It is not like a house. Have fun on your new project.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought lighting was split b/w AC for some and DC for others. This makes it easier.
Thank you Ranger and Tucsontoy!!
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Present day is typically all DC voltage.
Back in the day some light fixtures in RV's had a two way slide switch. One way was for 12v and the other was for 110. If the slide was pushed to the 110 without it being plugged in it figures it would not turn on. If 110 was present it saved the batter but either way would work. Two bulbs.

Edited: They Do Exist present day. Take your pick
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

It is now days, Ranger, but not in the olden days. My 1978 Beaver TC had two 120 volt light fixtures. But, yes, Joe, do all your lights 12 volt.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

An older trailer might have a 30 amp convertor and circuit box. New rigs could have a 50amp service, which is actually 100amps total.

If it were me I would take a close look at what you have in the trailer now then post more info here. You may want to replace the convertor as it is probably an old unit with an old style transformer in it. I had one of these and my 12v tv did not survive the surge when the generator stalled one time.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our early 70's Terry had a hodgepodge of lighting. Some lights were AC, a few others were DC. There was even a single light with a dual-mantle propane lantern!

As far as the AC supply went, it had a socket where a standard 20 amp extension cord plugged into it.

As I also recall, there was only one collection tank, so no black/grey water separation.

RV's have come a long way since those days.

Our 1967 Shasta Ulltralight (13') was even more primitive.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Yes, Dry, I remember those propane lanterns inside RVs. Scary!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
An older trailer might have a 30 amp convertor and circuit box. New rigs could have a 50amp service, which is actually 100amps total.

If it were me I would take a close look at what you have in the trailer now then post more info here. You may want to replace the convertor as it is probably an old unit with an old style transformer in it. I had one of these and my 12v tv did not survive the surge when the generator stalled one time.

You hit upon a good point. I happen to be a Magnum fan myself. The problem is battery. The old trailers had a 1 battery box on the tongue. 3 or 4 100aH AGM's would be the way to go with a MS2812 inverter to run the new convection oven and residential fridge. Oh yea. And a new service panel and energy management system are in order. Generator? How big is this trailer? I Love Lucy style?

I hope the OP has a sense of humor.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #11

It’s doable with a good solar system and a BANK of batteries.

Tags
light