Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I went to start my basement air rvp 6537 today. I was running the onan 7500 generator. Only drawing about a couple of amps before I turned on the air conditioner. Charger output set at 5 amps and inverter was off, fridge on propane, water heater off and engine heater is off.

The fan came on then the 1st stage compressor came on (about 16 amps showing on the gage) a short period of time later the 2nd stage attempted to come on. It seemed like it was able to start and then spiked the amp gage to 48 amps and then the genset shut down.

Another attempt resulted in a similar shutdown. I took the cover of the airconditioner pc board and didn't see anything burnt at all.

The generator works just fine with all other loads. I have plenty of fuel. I don't have a 50 amp plug in to try at this time.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I went to start my basement air rvp 6537 today. I was running the onan 7500 generator. Only drawing about a couple of amps before I turned on the air conditioner. Charger output set at 5 amps and inverter was off, fridge on propane, water heater off and engine heater is off.

The fan came on then the 1st stage compressor came on (about 16 amps showing on the gage) a short period of time later the 2nd stage attempted to come on. It seemed like it was able to start and then spiked the amp gage to 48 amps and then the genset shut down.

Another attempt resulted in a similar shutdown. I took the cover of the airconditioner pc board and didn't see anything burnt at all.

The generator works just fine with all other loads. I have plenty of fuel. I don't have a 50 amp plug in to try at this time.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same AC unit...From memory, my 2nd stage spikes to 28-30 amps and settles around 18 amps...You need to find what is causing the 2nd stage to spike at 48 amps...I can't help you there...RKl
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check your voltage when the 2nd compressor tries to start.

I had a problem on my # 2, was the start capacitor. My amps would go to 50, and voltage would go off scale low, then compressor internal overload would trip.

New start capacitor fixed the problem.

I believe there is a 2 year warranty on the basement air.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Is the start capaciter the larger grey or smaller black cylindrical gizmo?

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim,

I just went out & looked at my unit, which is a 6536 series, but looking at the schematics for the 6537, they are similar.Looking at the control unit, I have 2 large grey capacitors (30uf) on the right, these are the compressor run caps.

I have a bundle of 3 smaller caps on the left, 2 black & 1 grey. I believe the grey one is the run cap for the indoor blower motor (7.5uf)

The 2 black ones are the start caps for the compressor (mine are 88-108mfd). On the top of each one is a flat device (mine are labeled motor starter). This flat device is really a P.T.C.R. (Positive Temperature Coefficient Resistor). A fancy name for a device which de-energizes the start windings in the compressor when the motor reaches operating speed.

When my #2 compressor quit working last year it was one of the black caps which went bad, it was quite burnt on the top.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I now realize that I have more issues. The charger portion of the 2000 watt dimensions system is not working. I guess I didn't notice because during the day the solar system is always showing a charge.

I have been trying to find a winnebago shop that can get us in soon but no luck. We will continue south and keep researching service centers that can get us in.

We are heading towards New Orleans then towards Houston.

Any reccomendations on a good winnebago shop will be appreciated.

The engine and solar should keep the house batteries charged during the day while we are traveling and have sun. I have a small battery charger I can hook up at nite to continue to charge (if needed)the house batteries.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Update, Dimensions sent me a new charger/inverter which I replaced myself. Works well.

The 2nd stage compressor locked up and is being replaced, It should be reinstalled early next week. The a/c work is being done by Emerald Coast Rv in Gulfbreeze Fl.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Jim - thanks for the update. We sometimes don't hear about the resolution of a problem which means we all miss a chance to learn from it. Thanks again...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I had just the reverse problem. The #1 comp. would draw high amps 40/50 and cut out and 2nd comp would kick in. The #1 comp. is shot new one on order. No warranty, so I expect to pay $$$$$ for repairs.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jim:
Thx for update. I live in Destin, not too far from Gulf Breeze and am looking for a svc ctr to work on my rig. Would appreciate your opinion of your visit with Emerald Coast RV.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Jim:
Thx for update. I live in Destin, not too far from Gulf Breeze and am looking for a svc ctr to work on my rig. Would appreciate your opinion of your visit with Emerald Coast RV.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thudman, we are staying in Henderson SP till at least tuesday.

We brought our rig into Emerald Coast RV last friday without an appointment. They were t-shooting the a/c within an hour.

They had very little support from rvp/coleman due to the fact that most of the technical staff was not in.

They told me they would most likely have to remove the a/c the following week. We took the coach back the following tuesday and the basement air was removed in about 2 hours. We are back at the park waiting for the new parts to come in so the a/c can be reinstalled.

So far the procedure has been fairly painless. They are handling the repair under warranty with rvp.

If you are in the area stop by and say hello.

Jim

Our Webpage