Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A.C.

I have a 2006 winnebango tour with a basement A.C. I don't think both compressors are working we have been in weather that is in the 90's everyday and my A.C. runs all day and the best it can do is about 84 till night I had the freeone checked and its ok how can i make sure both compressors are working with out lowering the unit i did plug it into a 30 amp and turned on the A.C. to check the meter inside it read 17 i'm not sure if that's high enough for 2 compressors over heated jim n cindy
jim n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You might be expecting too much from a 30 amp connection. Try running it while on your generator and see if that makes a difference. Had mine out last year in 100+ temps and it cooled us done pretty well. Yes it ran all day, but kept us comfortable. I am usually connected to 50 amp or running it off the generator while on the road. There are also two breakers for the A/C, check to make sure one of the breakers hasn't tripped.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for getting back I'm plug into a 50 amp. but the meter does not read on 50 amp. I started the gen and it's only drawing 16 amp. my question is how much will it draw with both compressors working jim
Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If my memory is correct (and that's a big IF) I think I am pulling less than 20 amps when the A/C is running full tilt. You might also check to make sure there are no leaks in the duct work in the rear cap. That is the duct that runs from the unit to the duct work through the roof. There have been many cases of the ducts coming apart, or partially apart, causing the A/C to be very inefficient. You can look up from underneath, and possibly feel cold air escaping from under the rear bumper area. On mine I can remove a tail light assembly and see a good deal of the duct work.

Wish I could help you more. Mine seems to be very efficient and keeps us comfortable in all kinds of weather.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

With both units running you should see 18 or more amps draw once they are both started and running. 9 or more with one running. You may want to temporarily flip off your converter-charger breaker and have other AC loads in the RV off so the load current you are measuring is all from the AC loads.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A.C.

thanks for the tips i will check and see what i can find out jim
Old 09-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Turn on the A/C while watching the meter. Make sure temp is set to 5 or more below inside temp. You'll see the amp usage jump up when the fan and compressor 1 start up the come back down. Ours, as I recall is 14-16 amps on one compressor. After a few seconds you should see it jump up again when compressor 2 starts then it will come back down, some. Can't recall what both compressors draw on ours.

Link is to a service manual for the basement air, hopefully the one you have. If you're willing to open the unit you'll see the control board. The lights on the board will tell you what the unit is doing and if there is a problem.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6535heatpump.pdf