Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

A better light bulb?

Just laid hands on a 2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE and would like to do some bulb changes to get more light. So the problem is that the light over the kitchen cabinet is quite dim and not my color choice. But the bulb is not labeled in any way that I can find and I have not found the magic site to tell me which bulb it has, nor how many luminen it should be putting out. It "looks like" the fixture is labeled to use a 321 or possibly a 921 bulb. Anybody got a line to a site where I might look at those bulbs to find the lumens to get started on a brighter bulb? Or, if you already have a brighter bulb to suggest?
To make it clear, the current bulb is LED and I am wanting another LED.
Thanks for any help as I have tried a number of sites like sylvania, etc. that are not any help. More marketing sites with little actual info. A suggestion from another forum got me a bulb that was no help at all, possibly dimmer.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with the light over the stove. Installed a

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White.

For the light over the sink I used a

GRV T10 921 194 LED Bulb 24-5050 SMD lamp Super Bright AC 12V /DC 12V -24V For RV Boat Iandscaping Ceiling Dome Interior Lights Warm White (2nd Generation)

Have been happy with the improvements. Bought both on Amazon.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Getting close?

Thanks for the reply, rarebear!
I feel closer but not quite there yet. I find the first item you list and it looks like what I want but I'm still in the dark on how to find the right one when looking. I like to look at more specs on LED but can't find the things I am used to going by when I look at the smaller bulbs. I use LED on planted fish tanks for the grow lights and I find the lumens for how much light and the temperature/ frequency of the light for how blue or red it is expected to be.
I see in the specs that bulb as 1000 lumens and 6000 Kelvin, which is good!!!
But then when I look for the second on Amazon, I find the same flat bulb shaped like a tiny frying pan and that is what I got and found it a total bummer.
So I may be looking for the right numbers but not getting the right type LED.
Again, thanks for getting me close on one.
But did your chase get you a round (tube) shape or a flat circle for the second bulb? An Amazon search failed on the second bulb.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Thanks for the reply, rarebear!
I feel closer but not quite there yet. I find the first item you list and it looks like what I want but I'm still in the dark on how to find the right one when looking. I like to look at more specs on LED but can't find the things I am used to going by when I look at the smaller bulbs. I use LED on planted fish tanks for the grow lights and I find the lumens for how much light and the temperature/ frequency of the light for how blue or red it is expected to be.
I see in the specs that bulb as 1000 lumens and 6000 Kelvin, which is good!!!
But then when I look for the second on Amazon, I find the same flat bulb shaped like a tiny frying pan and that is what I got and found it a total bummer.
So I may be looking for the right numbers but not getting the right type LED.
Again, thanks for getting me close on one.
But did your chase get you a round (tube) shape or a flat circle for the second bulb? An Amazon search failed on the second bulb.
I did not find any round tube shapes, not quite sure what you're speaking about. I spent quite a bit of time studying the differences in the electronics of LED bulbs. As opposed to regular 120 v bulbs that just contact two wires, LEDs require a some power "massaging" to work. The design and quality of this circuit appears to determine how long the bulb will last and perhaps some safety issues as it ages. Maybe other factors as well. Not all LEDs are created equal.

I liked them well enough in the 5th and just ordered more of the same for Minnie when we bought it. I do understand people have very different tastes in the color and brightness of their lighting systems. So one opinion may have no bearing on someone else.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Defintite that shopping LED is far more complex than old bulbs. Lots of small factors to look at. That is what caught me on the bunch I ordered. I knew it was a risk but twenty for ten dollars and change was a risk I felt like doing. But I lost that ten dollars! what I got for it will not even do much as a christmas tree light! I rarely shop Amazon as their big thing is making it quick and easy rather than better value but then I also admit that I lose on some of my gambles when doing the auction site.
What frustrates me so much is that there is often so little actual info and specs to let me do a better gamble!
What I meant about bulb shape was if your bulbs were all shaped more like a tube with LED all around or a flat circle with the LED all pointed in one direction.
This is the 194 bulb I tried but it is super dim:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-T10-921...72.m2749.l2649
Thanks for the help on one that looks much better.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
This is the 194 bulb I tried but it is super dim:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-T10-921...72.m2749.l2649
Thanks for the help on one that looks much better.

I picked up some of these from Amazon. I bought at 2 different times and received 2 different sets. What I found was the older set emitted a frequency that interfered with the OTA tv reception when certain lights were turned on.

I did some research and people were saying that the cheaper lights were known to do that. Moral of the story is to spend a bit more to get good lights. I replaced with these flat lights due to the amount of loss the round lights were giving me in our fixtures.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I was somewhat slow to go with such a low price as I was aware that it was really much lower but then I also find many times when the price doesn't relate to the quality, so I tried a gamble. I suspect what should have clued me was the total lack of details on the output.
Life's a gamble, so I feel lucky when I only lost on the ten dollar item?
Thanks for the added info.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Bulbs

Quote:
Just laid hands on a 2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE and would like to do some bulb changes to get more light. So the problem is that the light over the kitchen cabinet is quite dim and not my color choice. But the bulb is not labeled in any way that I can find and I have not found the magic site to tell me which bulb it has, nor how many luminen it should be putting out. It "looks like" the fixture is labeled to use a 321 or possibly a 921 bulb. Anybody got a line to a site where I might look at those bulbs to find the lumens to get started on a brighter bulb? Or, if you already have a brighter bulb to suggest?
To make it clear, the current bulb is LED and I am wanting another LED.
Thanks for any help as I have tried a number of sites like sylvania, etc. that are not any help. More marketing sites with little actual info. A suggestion from another forum got me a bulb that was no help at all, possibly dimmer.
If your fixture uses 921 bulbs as does my Itasca Sunova 33C, I found that the Green Value 921 warm white replacement bulbs work quite well and have a similar warm color as do incandescent bulbs. Amazon sells six for $19.95 at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176T2HJY/ . They use dramatically less power and produce far less heat than the original 921 incandescent lamps that came with my coach, are not polarity sensitive and produce 250 lumens. We've replaced all of the 921 incandescent lamps in our coach with these LED's except for our bedside lamps which require a smaller bulb. We use different smaller LEDs for those lamps but they don't produce as much light.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post
If your fixture uses 921 bulbs as does my Itasca Sunova 33C, I found that the Green Value 921 warm white replacement bulbs work quite well and have a similar warm color as do incandescent bulbs. Amazon sells six for $19.95 at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0176T2HJY/ . They use dramatically less power and produce far less heat than the original 921 incandescent lamps that came with my coach, are not polarity sensitive and produce 250 lumens. We've replaced all of the 921 incandescent lamps in our coach with these LED's except for our bedside lamps which require a smaller bulb. We use different smaller LEDs for those lamps but they don't produce as much light.
Thanks for the try but the 921 is what I have and find I want a much brighter and whiter bulb as this is the primary area where the wife will be cooking and the 250 lumens is just not enough to let her use sharp knives!! We have found that the 5500-6500 Kelvin bulbs suit our eyes much better once we got used to them.
This suggestion from Rarebear seems to be what I want but still not hands on with it yet.
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White.

I suggested we could just try an LED floodlight but she didn't think much of that plan.

Tags
light