Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'99 Vectra VCM37B DRL vehicle lighting

I'm going over this vehicle/home system by system and today - my mission has been to correct any defects in vehicle lighting. I had all sorts of issues with the tail end of the RV. I should have thought "this doesn't add up so check for grounding problems" - which ended up being the problem!

Right next to the air conditioner, GM places the builder connector and this is also where Winnebago choose to place the grounding lug. The wire must've vibrated and broke next to the ring terminal! When i regrounded that wire, everything works fine!

HOWEVER... This vehicle has the DRL option and now (I don't know if it behaved this way before) i've noticed that the lighting switch on the dash acts oddly.

When I have engine running and press the "0" button, I get ONLY headlights.
If I press the "P" - i get ONLY the exterior lights but no headlights/license plate lights.

When I press the "On" button - I get parking lights plus license plate but no headlights! Has anyone ever seen this behavior/have a fix?

Much appreciated!!!
(this is what my light switch looks like)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-29 20_43_01-1999 Chevrolet P30 Headlight Switch - Airtex 1S1013 — Mozilla Firefox.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	176600  
AndersG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

OH MY!
That looks like a nightmare type to sort out! If you have it out of the dash, does it have a name and model like Carling XX_YYYY_?
Carling does post the details of their switches online and that might be one place to look for how it operates and which contacts make to which???? But that is not a happy place to start for me.

So I also cam across this drawing which is for the DRL and shows a module:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...999/121694.pdf

I might guess this is a small relay in some box hidden away and no telling where but I might try finding it?

Maybe somebody who has been closer can give you better info but that is the best I've got!

Maybe if we can hang on, 2021 will be a better year, so wishing you luck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

That's not a Carling switch. Just a GM (style?) switch.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That's the thing though... When I hit the "light" ... I don't get headlights... They ONLY come on when switch is in OFF position.
AndersG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
That's not a Carling switch. Just a GM (style?) switch.
I certainly did not mean it had to be a Carling switch, so the question might be who does make the switch since GM does make switches?

If there is a name and model number on the switch, it may be possible to chase the info to get the pinout and connection info to check the switch.

The other options are to buy a new switch and just swap parts until they find the cause but that gets really expensive on a new vehicle with lots of potential relays and connections involved.

It may not have the info or it may simply say GM but I'm betting they buy it from somebody who does make switches.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light