Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

99 Adventure 34c questions.

Hello first post and a few questions sorry i messed up the title the rig is a 34v diesel pusher

I'm looking at purchasing an adventure it has 72,000 miles it looks like a good rig for what i wana do family wise and everything it is the Diesel pusher model. The misses and I autocross and do open track days. we also have alittle boy thats about 2 years old. So the plan is we can all go have a good time and be in comfort while the misses is on track i will be in the motor home or near by watching our son and vise versa kinda the reason we are looking at the diesel pusher is we will be pulling our race car a 99 corvette on a open texas rollback trailer with a few tools and tire rack. I figure this rig should be up to the task.

Couple question i have. has anyone ever taken out the LP generator and put in a diesel Gen? Reason i am looking into this is with our racing we will be basically boondocked for up to 3 days and well the LP generator dosen't have enough capacity to possible run that long. I have found some diesal Onan Gens for a resaonable price. Or would i be better off just buying a seperate gen to run? Main reason i'm thinking this is cause the AC will probly be running alot which means the gen will be running alot. or am i over thinking this already?

Also should there be anything i should know about with this kinda rig? it's all in good running order otherwise tires look really well and are michilans. i wish they was 22.5 though so that if i ran into a bind i could use the spares from my straight trucks around the farm.

Thanks for any insite it's greatly appricated
NOTAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the same Motorhome and the same generator. I have never had a problem with it running both A/C Units. If you turn on the microwave the rear unit willshut off the compressor. I have never run it for 72 hours straight, but have for 10-12 hours and never had a problem. The diesel generator is heavier so your carry capacity will suffer. If you think you need more power for working the the race car, by a Honda just for that.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Mickey i'm not worried about power for working on the car. My biggest concern is having enough propane for my 3 or 4 day stint without having to pack up the RV and find a Place near by with propane to refill me. Granted i have yet to use the unit yet and such so i may be surprised i plan to try it first and go from there. I was just seeing if and who around may have changed cause of that reason. I'm not sure how much a day i will have to run the Gen obviously in the mid summer events it may run all day running a ac unit for us and well i may be able to shut it down at night i don't know.

Main reason i asked about the diesal was the run capacity is greater then the Gas thats in it. The Local RV dealer told me to just buy a stand alone generator to plug in the motor home if i was that concerned with it. and i guess if i couldn't find a used Diesel unit to install then it would be cheaper but the convinece is no longer there. I'll be trying it for sure first and go from there.

Thanks again Mickey

you do much towing with your rig?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On the Generator - you carry about 36 gallons of propane. Think that the burn rate of the Generator at full load is something like 0.8 gals an hour (if I recall correctly).

I tow a 4,500 Lb Jeep Liberty without problems. Is not a rocket going up hills, not a rocket off the stop light, but it gets the job done at an average of 8MPG.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks Micheal I see Onan makes this autostart thing so i definatly plan to look at that so this may make things alot easier for me.

Thanks again I really hope the banker says yes. lol
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just traded a 34V 1999. I know the lp gas gen will not run that long. Also, you only have 31 gallons to work from. I had an awful lot of maintance on mine. It seems like when I would get it worked on and go to use it, it would not do something. I was very unhappy with an LP generator. I always carried a small Honda one. It would run 1 air, but not much more. I just always turned on a bunch of fans, and the roof vent.

We have a diesel one on our new MH.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jeep how big of a honda gen did you carry with you?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It was only a 2000ie. At idle I could get 10-12 hours.

The last year or so to run the microwave, we had to shut the tv off. It was that close on max output.

We dry camped with it months at a time in AZ and Upper Pen. Michigan.

Like I said we always just ran fans and kept air moving. We could usually keep the temps within a few degrees of outside. We used both ceiling vents, and one Tornado type fan for air movement.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

additional thought

There is a "coupling" that you can install on the supply line from your LP line to the coach called "Extended-Stay" ... that does two things for you

1) allows you to attach a portable propane tank to supply LP for your furnace, frig, and genset

2) supply LP for your grills or other auxiliary appliances from your main LP tank.

I believe they are available at Camping World and RVUpgrades ...

I have an acquaintence that uses one of these when he stays in cold places for extended periods of time.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I got one of those for the new motorhome. Have not used it yet, but got the hose and a 30lb tank.

I am not sure, but the generator has to run off liquid to the generator. I have 2 shut off valves, so I don't think that would help with the generator.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well i now am offically a RV owner we said yes to the Adventure we go to pick it up wensday and then off for our first big racing weekend thursday. talk about cutting it close huh.

just need to see if i can use the new Onan EC auto start system or not.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on the motorhome! I also almost bought that exact same model MH. I ended up with a 39' instead! (it was a little more money, but a lot bigger coach)

If you want the diesel gen, it will be nice, but I'd imagine more expensive...

Post some photos of your new rig!
TDInewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I also have the same Motorhome and it was used by a famliy that did the dirt bike stuff with lots of boondocking. They had the LP tank replaced with an 80Gal tank.

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote