Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

95' Winnebage Vectra Generator stopped now no power at all.

Well, I purchased a 95 Vectra a couple of days ago. It's a 34' 454 with amny options, I do say I love the MH even though its giving me quite a headache. This is my first Class A big toy. The problem comes when I turned the AC on yesterday while i suppose one too many things were already on. The generator suddenly stopped and shut down. I fgured no big deal, I'll reset the breaker and learn my lesson... Well no... I reset the breakers and nothing. Not only will the generator not even crank but nothing will work in the RV at all... Nothing has power... I have read the book and checked all the breakers I know of. Is there a secret breaker somewhere? The generator is a onan 7000. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I did search and found not much on the subject.
Richdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check your fuses on your generator. You may also have a problem with the automatic transfer switch. If you keep popping breakers when starting you have a wire that is grounded or touching somewhere it isn't. If some simple looks don't fix then you may have to have it serviced.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you have not already tried, I would try plugging into city power to see if the transfer switch will switch it and give you power. I am no expert by any means and not sure if everyone would agree with this. It is just what I would try.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
If you have not already tried, I would try plugging into city power to see if the transfer switch will switch it and give you power. I am no expert by any means and not sure if everyone would agree with this. It is just what I would try.
What he said!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses, The dog bone cables that came with the RV look kind of fried a bit so I did plug in for a second and the wire made a noise at the fried cable point so i un plugged and will get a new dog bone before trying again. They look super corroded and melted together so I think its time for new ones. I even found the inverter to see if it had a breaker on it. I could not find one on the unit that was behind some plastic shrouding. the batteries are at 11.82v The power wire at the Gen has zero power to it at all... 0.00v.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Worked, thank you guys. Looks like I need to replace the batteries
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so today i replaced the batteries with new ones from Costco. I find that my issue gets a little more in depth. I now have power when connected to 30a at my house.... However... I have no power as soon as i disconnect the shore power cable. Also I tried to start my generator and all i hear is a motor running. I first thought it was the starter and that i broke some teeth or something however after reading a bit I suppose that it's the Fuel pump... it sounds like spinning and fast clicking nothing else. Does anyone have an suggestions?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I would check the negative cable from the batteries to the chassis. Connection could be corroded where hooked to chassis.
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno39 View Post
I would check the negative cable from the batteries to the chassis. Connection could be corroded where hooked to chassis.
checked and cleaned as well as batteries and gen pos and neg cables.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It seems as if there is a connection between the batteries and the rest of teh rig like a breaker or fuse of some sort that is out?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Went outside, tried once again for the afternoon before i gave up and boom it fired... lol now i have a jack stuck up! looks like i have quite a few projects thanks for all the help everyone

Tags
generator, power