Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

By any chance those of you that are having the LED failures, Do you have the lights on when you start your motor? IF the LED's are a voltage sensitive as said, then you could be getting 1st a big voltage drop when the starter is engaged and then a voltage spike when the alternator kicks in.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quality LED's should be able to handle a wide variation in voltage. The Samsung Elite series we purchased from M4 Products will work within a range of 10 - 30 VDC. There is a circuit within the bulb that allows them to handle the voltage surges previously mentioned. They also have circuitry within the bulb that allows them to function properly regardless of the polarity. In addition they are housed in an aluminum shell which acts as a heat sink to prolong the life of the bulbs.

M4 - Information about RV LED Lights and Rated Lumens

If you are having continuing problems I would ask the Winnebago Customer Support representatives if the lights used in the OEM application have these features. If not it might be cheaper in the long run to switch to a higher quality bulb and only have to buy them once.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Saw the CW dealer but he only had 2 lights so he ordered 3 more. That means another trip to Panama City. Two of the lights that were replaced last time went about within a month. I have
now drawn a template to mark the lights that are replaced and dating when they go out. There is a lemon law in Florida that states if you have the same issue more than three times...you have a case. We still have 10 months of warranty so we will see. Bought two lamps to hold us over in the darkness but when the bathroom light went out...that was a problem. I printed out all of the comments on this thread and gave them to the dealer. We do have the lights on when we start the engine but we should not have to baby our lights.
Thanks for all the comments from others have helped me to know that it is not just our RV.
Bacoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacoats View Post
Saw the CW dealer but he only had 2 lights so he ordered 3 more. That means another trip to Panama City. Two of the lights that were replaced last time went about within a month. I have
now drawn a template to mark the lights that are replaced and dating when they go out. There is a lemon law in Florida that states if you have the same issue more than three times...you have a case. We still have 10 months of warranty so we will see. Bought two lamps to hold us over in the darkness but when the bathroom light went out...that was a problem. I printed out all of the comments on this thread and gave them to the dealer. We do have the lights on when we start the engine but we should not have to baby our lights.
Thanks for all the comments from others have helped me to know that it is not just our RV.
If the "Lemon Law" in Florida is the same as in most states you will find it doesn't apply to things like interior lighting.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Lights that are rated for 12V nominal rather than 10 to 30V will fail early if they are subjected to voltage levels found when equalising batteries so that is another possibility
Old 06-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Just to be clear, it is not possible to replace just the LED the entire fixture must be replaced.
arneinfloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by arneinfloria View Post
Just to be clear, it is not possible to replace just the LED the entire fixture must be replaced.
I agree, however the ceiling light fixtures in the 2015 Adventurer are identical in appearance to the ones used in the 2013 Adventurer EXCEPT that the 2013 has a socket and bulb configuration rather than an all in one configuration. I don't know if this is unique to the Adventurer series, or whether other models carried the same lighting style forward from 2013 as well.

The older fixtures can accept LED bulbs that can be replaced individually if they burn out rather than having to install an entirely new fixture each time. We converted all the interior lights in our 2013 Adventurer to Samsung Elite series LED's. They have a wide voltage operating range and a built in heat sink. In addition there is internal circuitry that properly routes the current through the bulb, so even if the fixture is wired backward the lights still work.

If this is a continuing problem I would look into replacing the all in one fixtures with those that have a socket and bulb configuration. The individual bulbs are far less expensive and less time consuming to install than replacing and rewiring the entire fixture. In addition the Samsung Elite series bulbs now have a 2 year warranty, and are rated for 50,000 hours of use.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs
The fixtures he has/that Winn has used for over 3 years on some models - use 21 surface mount diodes (SMD) and incorporate a power supply and heat sink in the fixture. They are made by ITC - the very same people who made your ceiling fixtures and are an identical replacement. ITC likely manufacture most of Winnebagos fixtures as well as for other RV manufacturers and are also a large supplier to the Marine industry and not " new kids on the block".
Don't assume they are more expensive than the bulbs you purchased. At the GNR last year, ITC was selling them for about $15 each - the Winn list as a replacement part is three times that.
I originally replaced my halogen bulbs with LED bulbs designed to operate from 8-30 volts. I found the disc ones had the power supply on the rear and the interior surface of the halogen fixtures is reflective chrome to direct the light from the halogen bulbs. The surface also reflected the heat from the power supply on the disc back and the bulbs got very hot and several failed. I would suggest the new fixtures are a superior solution to bulbs and more cost effective in the log term if you purchased at last years GNR.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Hikerdogs
The fixtures he has/that Winn has used for over 3 years on some models - use 21 surface mount diodes (SMD) and incorporate a power supply and heat sink in the fixture. They are made by ITC - the very same people who made your ceiling fixtures and are an identical replacement. ITC likely manufacture most of Winnebagos fixtures as well as for other RV manufacturers and are also a large supplier to the Marine industry and not " new kids on the block".
Don't assume they are more expensive than the bulbs you purchased. At the GNR last year, ITC was selling them for about $15 each - the Winn list as a replacement part is three times that.
I originally replaced my halogen bulbs with LED bulbs designed to operate from 8-30 volts. I found the disc ones had the power supply on the rear and the interior surface of the halogen fixtures is reflective chrome to direct the light from the halogen bulbs. The surface also reflected the heat from the power supply on the disc back and the bulbs got very hot and several failed. I would suggest the new fixtures are a superior solution to bulbs and more cost effective in the log term if you purchased at last years GNR.
If ITC is selling the exact replacements I would agree that there's not much difference in price between a fixture and just the bulb. There is still a bit of difference in installation time.

I didn't check the GNR prices, but rather went to the factory parts department when we were looking to move to LED lights. As you mentioned they were about 3 times the cost of a replacement bulb. It would have cost us over $1000.00 to replace all the interior light fixtures at the Winnebago price. It cost about $300.00 to replace just the bulbs with high quality LED's.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is getting difficult to use our kitchen as we no longer have working overhead lights. In fact, more than half of our LED overhead lights no longer work. I could understand that one light would fail early, but it is hard to believe that 9 failures in two months is due to chance.

Did Winnebago buy a bad batch of lights? Anybody else have this problem? I assume that they will be replaced under warranty when we get to Forest City in August, in the mean time we will use temporary lights bought at Loves.
This is interesting. I replaced my halogens with M4products Elite series LED's. I have had 6 fail in less than a year. We keep our lights on most of the time. M4 thinks I have a inverter (battery charge section) leaking AC into the DC circuit. I am going to do some extensive oscilloscope troubleshooting later today. I'll post my results here.

Rick Y
Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Try the GFI outlet on the backside of the Galley sink counter by the sofa. Make sure it is not tripped. Hard to believe 9 of 16 all failed so quick. I assume you checked the 12 breakers in the breaker panel in the bedroom breaker panel at the foot of the bed. Also, there is a ground bar in the same vicinity.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. The part number is 69240NS-21-3K and the manufacturer's website is Welcome - ITC-USA

I just ordered a replacement from Amazon for $20. Less than half of what Winnebago wants. Hopefully WGO will replace the rest of them when I get there in August.
Camping World also sells the ITS fixtures (just in case you happen to be near one). Although we placed the order through Camping World online, they get shipped directly from ITC.

We replaced the halogen puck fixtures with the LED fixtures and they've been great
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Talked to Winnebago today. The rep says there have been no complaints on the 2015 LED lights. Ours go out one at a time and it is not the breaker. I told the rep to check out the two others at IRV2. There are only 12 large LED lights in the whole rig and we have replaced 15. Glad it is under warranty but driving to camping world is a pain. Either there is something wrong with the wiring or the lights.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
Try the GFI outlet on the backside of the Galley sink counter by the sofa. Make sure it is not tripped. Hard to believe 9 of 16 all failed so quick. I assume you checked the 12 breakers in the breaker panel in the bedroom breaker panel at the foot of the bed. Also, there is a ground bar in the same vicinity.
Please forgive me but I am lost here. I thought we were talking about 12VDC lighting. What does the GFCI have to do with this?

Checking the 12V breakers is a good idea if all of the outage lamps are on the same circuit.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Talked to Winnebago today. The rep says there have been no complaints on the 2015 LED lights. Ours go out one at a time and it is not the breaker. I told the rep to check out the two others at IRV2. There are only 12 large LED lights in the whole rig and we have replaced 15. Glad it is under warranty but driving to camping world is a pain. Either there is something wrong with the wiring or the lights.
Here is a picture of what I found when I o-scoped my lights. I don't know if this could be causing the lights to fail in my situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150615_001.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	97515  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I'm thinking the rep you spoke to is kin to some salesmen.

I've talked to service writers at two different dealerships, and they both confirm that there is an abnormally high failure rate on these lights.

I did get three replacements in today from WI under warranty. The WI part number is 183243-01-01A, ITC part number is 69240NS-21-3K. The only voltage marking on them is 12V, which makes me wonder if the other poster suggesting using bulbs rated up to 30V (from my faulty memory) may have the right idea.

It does seem strange that the entire fixture must be replaced, the bulb itself is held in the fixture with two screws and the wiring is secured with another screw. Why should we have to replace the fixture along with the glass lens when just the bulb is bad?

These seem readily available on Amazon for approximately $20.00, much better than the $45.00 WI wants for them.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Some bulbs\fixtures are rated to 30v so they can be used on 24v systems in some buses. The ITC fixtures in question that I bought in 2013 had a 10-14v rating in the ITC 213 catalog. The current 2015 catalog shows they are rated for 12 volts. Given they are designed to be used in Marine/ RV applications, the nominal voltage is almost always over 12v. Likewise, when operated on shore power, they are getting their power from either the inverter/charger or a converter. Either of these will likely have a small amount of AC ripple present so it would not be an unreasonable expectation that these fixtures - and any other DC fixtures/electronics would be capable of operating in that environment. Sounds to me that the power supplies in the fixture are failing for some reason and shouldn't be.
I would also suggest Winnebago's response that they have never heard of it before is either strategic or they simply haven't invested in systems technology that would consolidate customer issues to give them early indication of potential problems. Either way, the end result is poor service to the end user and not reflective of the service you would expect from a publically traded company.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

It seems we have one or two fail every week. The dealership I am working with has ten on order for me. That was the number that were not working two weeks ago. I have an appointment for work next week and they will replace them. They will need to order more at that point. I am usually tolerant, but maybe Winnebago should put candles in the bag with all the operators manuals so we can read them at night. The majority of the ones that are not working are the larger light. Only two of the smaller have failed. Leads me to believe a manufacturing issue.
Lon
RETE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Clockmeister : did you replace the fixtures yourself and how easy is it?

Bobmac: thanks for your comments.

Back at camping world replacing 3 of our five lights....all they have in stock. They are going to spend more time today researching the problem.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Clockmeister : did you replace the fixtures yourself and how easy is it?

Bobmac: thanks for your comments.

Back at camping world replacing 3 of our five lights....all they have in stock. They are going to spend more time today researching the problem.
Yes, I did them myself. Twist the glass lens off, three screws into ceiling then pull out, cut off wires at connector, strip wire ends, reinstall with wire nuts. Took about 5 minutes each, most of that time spent looking for where I put the screws down!

Let us know what CW says about their research. There has got to be an answer for so many of these failing.

I did observe that on some of the ones out that there was some debris on the glass lens which looked like part of the LED light. Makes me wonder if there is some problem with adhesive used in assembling that heat causes to fail - my unit does sit in the heat while stored, and likely is over 100 degrees often.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light