Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to johnnny_reb
70 Renegade-Bro battery locations

1970 Winnebago Renegade-Bro. What are the factory battery locations? The aux. battery is under the dinette seat on the right side. But as PO has moved the start battery to behind the drivers seat on the floor and the floor by the doorway has been replaced.
johnnny_reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know where the stock location of the house battery was?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

1970 Winnebago Renegade-Bro

Looking for any help with my winnie she is a 1970 Winnebago Renegade-Bro. She is in very sound shape. The electrical systems as well as the plumping systems are in great shape. The first problem she has is one of the PO's (pervious owners) removed the Cranking battery from the stock location and placed on the floor behind the driver. As I feel that this is VERY unsafe so I will finely got off my duff tomorrow and look for the factory location of the crank battery. I have been told that it should be close to the door for easy access when jump starting but the floor has been replace in this area.

PS: I have all of the paperwork that Winnebago Industry has on file for the old girl which ain't much. Looks like pencil drawings from my high school drafting class. Thank "GOD" for a strong background in auto repair.

Winne is kinda small compared to the motorhomes of today. But I like her and feel that driving an antique motorhome would be rather fun once I get her running again.

One more question, Is this crazy looking plug on the AC hookup still the standard? It looks like a smallish 220 plug.
I know that it is 120volt AC but is it the same as what is used today at the RV parks. And if so would a hardware shop carry such a receptacle for one to plug into? Or will I need to change it out?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnny_reb View Post
Looking for any help with my winnie she is a 1970 Winnebago Renegade-Bro. The first problem she has is one of the PO's (pervious owners) removed the Cranking battery from the stock location and placed on the floor behind the driver. As I feel that this is VERY unsafe so I will finely got off my duff

PS: I have all of the paperwork that Winnebago Industry has on file for the old girl which ain't much. Looks like pencil drawings from my high school drafting class. Thank "GOD" for a strong background in auto repair.

Winne is kinda small compared to the motorhomes of today. But I like her and feel that driving an antique motorhome would be rather fun once I get her running again.

One more question, Is this crazy looking plug on the AC hookup still the standard? It looks like a smallish 220 plug.
I know that it is 120volt AC but is it the same as what is used today at the RV parks. And if so would a hardware shop carry such a receptacle for one to plug into? Or will I need to change it out?
I know someone who might have all the answers for you and I will email them. My '66 had a battery just inside the door and my '73 has a pull out tray outside.
Please post some pictures for us on the power plug. Maybe a 30A 120v.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Johnnny_reb,
So here it what info I found for you.

"I believe his 17’ may be a 1971. Remember, that just like cars, 71 models were actually built, identified and sold starting about August 70. Of course, they did build the 17 footer starting around 1967. 71 started the Renegade name for a very short time. They had a legal issue with the Renegade name from AMC Jeep. Winnebago pulled the name.

Not sure where the battery went. This smallest Winnie built didn’t have the outer battery tray/door behind the driver wheel. He should look for support brackets somewhere under the front 1/3 of the motor home. May have been just under the front, behind grill low, as a second battery wasn’t even an option (hence no battery tray in its usual location. It may have been under the step, but I don’t think they ever did that, or they would have left it there. Many other manufacturers did that.
The 110 plug is correct and can probably be replaced with a new one. I believe it is a 30 amp like ours and all others. He needs to buy a transition plug (30 to std house 20 plug). Any RV shop has it."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 71_Renegade.pdf (675.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here's the picture of the plug.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...b/DSCF1264.jpg

Looked but did not find the crank battery locaton nor any brackets. Did find a great location just behind the doorway step under the floor that can be accessed once a access hole with hatch is cut into it. Will have to build a brace and box to hold the battery.

PS: the stock gas fill neck is not hooked up to anything but a new filler had been added just behind the access door for ther lp gas bottle compartment. But I need to move the motorhome as I can't get myself under that end to check it out.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=johnnny_reb;572579]Here's the picture of the plug.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...b/DSCF1264.jpg

Looked but did not find the crank battery locaton nor any brackets. Did find a great location just behind the doorway step under the floor that can be accessed once a access hole with hatch is cut into it. Will have to build a brace and box to hold the battery.
[QUOTE]

That's a 30 amp plug on your power cord. A very common plug on RV's but if you want to plug into a regular house 15 amp receptacle just get a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter like this Adapter at any place that sells RV stuff.

And for the starting battery, just make the door to the inside of the coach somewhat air tight so the gassing of the battery stays ouside. Les
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thamks 73Indian thats just what I need. As for the battery I don't know why the PO moved it, but there is planty of space just inside the doorway under the floor between the reccess step and the frame. Right where it is suppost to be. I just have to make a support box and battery (box) tray out of some angel_iron and 1/8 inch steel plate