Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I am in the same predicament. My tow six volt batteries just died. I decided to replace them with two optima agm batteries. I had some on myold coach and they were still going strong five years when i traded it. Should have kept them
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I wanted 6 6 volt batteries in my new coach and it was supplied with 2 12 volt batteries. The first thing I did was to go buy a good converter ( I like Iotas and Progressive Dynamics) and I threw away the piece of junk converter that was in there. Then, I looked at batteries. I too settled on Johnson controls batteries from Costco at 75$ each. Costco sells a whole lot of batteries and their return policy is great. Then, on to welding up the additional battery boxes and bolting them to the frame rails and making up the battery cables. I use 4/0 welding wire for all my battery wires and connections and use color coded split loom over them for easy identification. White for negative, red for positive, yellow for battery interconnections.

The debate over whether 12 or 6 volt batteries are better is directly related to storage care. Most trailers, MHs, 5ers, are used infrequently and as such the determining factor in battery life, is storage care. Buy a good quality 3 stage converter and your storage care will be very good. Stick with a cheap converter and your battery life will really suffer. Before I realized how important battery care is, I could never get more then 2-3 years out of batteries. Now, with proper care, my batteries are about 5 years old and going strong. In most instances, battery care is the deciding factor in longevity. Typical lead acid wet batteries, no matter their ratings or build quality, suffer from drawing to many amps out of them when under load and then, over charging for long periods of non use. This use is very hard on batteries and they die from misuse. Never draw more then 25% of their capacity, charge with a good multi stage charger to prevent overcharging during storage, and never let them over charge, and/or lose water. Keep connections clean, make all battery connections over sized so no voltage loss occurs during use, and check electrolyte levels frequently. If you are careful and worry about storage charging, your batteries will last much longer in real world use no matter whether they are 6 or 12 volts.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
with proper care, my batteries are about 5 years old and going strong. In most instances, battery care is the deciding factor in longevity. Typical lead acid wet batteries, no matter their ratings or build quality, suffer from drawing to many amps out of them when under load and then, over charging for long periods of non use.
right on!

If you want to get the most from your batteries, put your concerns where they will have the greatest impact. That isn't brand nor voltage but rather use and maintenance care.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mav View Post
thanks for the advice on buying quality, but again does anyone out there have a specific retailer/brand they use at a reasonable price. thanks
i got my lifeline agm batteries from bd batteries online. the price included shipping. i got good service from bd batteries.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote