Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

6 Volt battery extra weight ?

I am considering replacing my 2 group 24 12v batteries with 2 6 volt batteries in our 2014 Navion IQ. The 6volt batteries I am looking at weigh 65.5 lbs so the new total weight would be 131 lbs (which is 40 lbs more than the 12v). Is the Navion battery rack designed for the extra weight ? I have see a few post about using 6v in a Navion but none talking about the extra weight.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It is more of a problem when one of the cells in one of the two batteries starts to fail. Then you will no longer have the 12 volts output needed to operate the digital equipment in the RV. I would only go with 6V batteries if I had space for 4 or more batteries.

Better to put your money into a couple of lithium-phosphate batteries. When you can take them to 10% SOC in effect you get twice as many amp hours of current.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
It is more of a problem when one of the cells in one of the two batteries starts to fail. Then you will no longer have the 12 volts output needed to operate the digital equipment in the RV. I would only go with 6V batteries if I had space for 4 or more batteries.

Better to put your money into a couple of lithium-phosphate batteries. When you can take them to 10% SOC in effect you get twice as many amp hours of current.
I think there's a lot more to the LiFePO4 decision than you imply. I have no argument about the advantages, both short term and long term but the up front cost is very high compared to the other options, even though the life-cycle cost is less. There's a pretty substantial knowledge base that should be assimilated if only to make sure one buys the right batteries. It's also a matter of how much one is using their RV and, how dependent that use is on battery power vs. shore power.

Two golf cart batteries can be purchased from Costco or Sam's Club for under $200, two LiFePO4 batteries will cost somewhere around $1,600 - $2,000 +/- depending on the brand. This can be a budget consideration even though the anticipated life cycle cost of the LiFePO4 batteries is less.

I've had golf cart battery systems (two batteries) in two sailboats, two TTs and now a motorhome over the course of maybe 35 years and never had the type of failure you mention. They are very robust batteries. If I had a major concern, two 12V, true deep cycle batteries are an option but they should be installed as two separate banks connected by a battery switch. If they were simply connected in parallel, a failure of one could damage the other.

Alternatively, a small (50AH or smaller) AGM 12V battery could be installed as a backup to the golf cart batteries via a battery switch. Charging could be accomplished via a Trik-L-Start or similar device.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It depends on how your RV is equipped. My last one had a propane powered fridge and furnace and cooktop and oven and the battery only powered the controller for the fridge and some fans. My current RV has a DC fridge and induction cooktop and microwave/convection oven and heat pump and the result is 10 times as much electrical power is needed on a daily basis.

With the lithium-phosphate batteries I can go for 3-4 days without needing to run the generator. With the original lead acid batteries I needed to run the generator at least every other day and I need to run it 3 times as long to get the batteries up to a good SOC. The lead acid had a maximum charge level of 30 amps but with the lithium-phosphate I can charge at 100 amps with no worries.

The two Group 31 lead acid batteries in the Navion weighed over 120 lbs in total and the way the cradle is constructed I doubt that there would be a problem with twice that amount of weight being supported.

Choosing a lithium-phosphate battery is little different than deciding on the best lead acid battery with flooded lead acid, AGM, marine, true deep cycle, etc. to consider.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

To answer the OP's question, yes the battery tray can handle the incremental weight of substituting two 6 volt lead acid deep cycle batteries for the Winnebago OEM batteries. You can re-use one of the two existing battery jumper straps tying the two OEM batteries together to connect the 6 volt batteries in series.

I don't agree that having two 6 volt batteries in series vs two 12 volt batteries in parallel is a reliability problem.

If you check to see if your battery compartment has height for two Costco 6 volt Interstate 200 AH Golf Cart Batteries (they are the same length and width as Group 24 but taller), if so that's the most power you can store in that space for under $ 200. I have had the Costco Interstate Golf Cart Batteries since 2016 and they are still going strong.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
My current RV has a DC fridge and induction cooktop and microwave/convection oven and heat pump and the result is 10 times as much electrical power is needed on a daily basis.
I can see why LiFePO4 batteries are the perfect solution for you. My MH is set up like your previous RV. We do have a wheelchair lift but it's only operated for short periods of time. I'm considering adding a dedicated 100Ah battery just for it but so far it hasn't been an issue.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone, good comments. My current batteries are still holding up so I have time to think of options. Some 6v's I have looked at don't have a carry strap so I am sure I would have to make one. Bending over the steps with 60+ pounds is a back killer !
Old 07-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
I am considering replacing my 2 group 24 12v batteries with 2 6 volt batteries in our 2014 Navion IQ. The 6volt batteries I am looking at weigh 65.5 lbs so the new total weight would be 131 lbs (which is 40 lbs more than the 12v). Is the Navion battery rack designed for the extra weight ? I have see a few post about using 6v in a Navion but none talking about the extra weight.
I did this to my 2019 View 24V last year. I went with the SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra BCI Group GC2 from Batteries Plus. No regrets. I had an "uplugged" trip in the plans last fall and did not have a good feeling about the pair of NAPA Group 24 keeping up with my 12 volt DC Norcold refrigerator.

The Duracell SLIGC115 GC2 is taller than the original Group 24 but still fit in the battery well of the View/Navion. I could not use the original Winnebago top securing bracket so I made my own and it has done well.
I also installed a Victron BMV 712 with the new Duracell's therefore, I needed to order another 10" battery cable to wire to the Victron Shunt. Otherwise, all the original cables fit the new Duracell's.

Bobby
Old 07-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Switched to 2 6 Volt Costco (Interstste) in 2012 Navion with Timbren overload springs 5 years ago to enable heater fan to run all night.. Navion used exclusively boondocking in cool/cold climates. Had to custom fabricate new hold down clamp to accommodate taller batteries. Existing battery tray adequate for added battery weight. Can run entertainment inc dish satellite TV, and heater all night.

Later Navion models switched from 300W to 1000W inverter, the added capacity from 2 6V batteries is useful for the added inverter capability.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, weight