Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The transfer switch actually defaults to shore power. When the generator starts, 120 vac is applied to the transfer switch coil, which pulls in the contacts and passes the generator power to the breaker panel.
JOHN:
Perhaps I'm confused, but I thought that is what "default to genset " meant.

IOW, the TS defaults (goes to) genset power, and "away from" shore. I think we are agreeing on how it works........just a different interpretation of the definition of "defaulting". Ed
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Default is the mode with no voltage applied to the coil. Shore power passes through until the contacts are pulled in by 120 vac is applied to the coil from the generator.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I am a little confused about some of the comments about the xfer sw.

On a autostart system the controls for starting the genset are monitoring the line (shore) power. If it fails the generator starts and the xfer sw grabs it as the new power source.

If the genset is started the relays default to it 'if' the ATS is designed to do this. As I recall in my '05 I had to disconnect the shore power for the transfer to occur to the genset.

But what difference does it make if power is at the shore input and the genset input simultaneously? If the xfer sw is doing its job correctly they are totally isolated from one another and will NEVER bump.

The only problem remains true. Is the genset being correctly loaded in a timely manner for proper exercising. How ever this happens is up to the operators understanding of his ATS or TS.

Rick

Tags
onan