Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Where do I find the inverter CB panel. The only ones I have found are at the foot of the bed and the ones under the refrigerator.
Diver2diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I should mention i do not have the original inverter in my RV. It was replaced i 2015 with magnum inverter
Old 08-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #23
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver2diver View Post
Where do I find the inverter CB panel. The only ones I have found are at the foot of the bed and the ones under the refrigerator.
Hmm... The drawings are unhelpful with this. It looks as if the inverter breaker panel should be to the immediate left of the load center (main 120V breakers), at the foot of the bed. Anything there?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Ok I think I have figured out my issue and of course I dont have a 50 amp hookup to verify what I learned today. The one thing I failed to do when I reset the CB for the 2nd leg in which in My case was the washer and dryer CB. Was to reset the EMS panel. I failed to completely remove the battery power from it. Thus it was not reset itself I could have done this by removing thr 5 amp fuse but I was unsure if I could get away with it. So once I get back to 50 amp hookup it should be working. Of course I needed a computer and good wifi to learn about the EMS board and the transfer switch. So thanks for all your help. And I will update this when I confirm the fix.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #25
HFA
Winnebago Camper

What You Are Seeing

An ammeter will only tell you what you are using, not the total amps available to you. Your main breakers would be tripping if you were using 50+ amps. The voltage on both legs looks good.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Your control panel really has no way of directly knowing the amp rating of the service, it has to make an assumption from what it can detect. My guess is it is looking for nominal 240 v across the two hot legs. But that voltage you have read as 207 v so it defaults to thinking you are on a single phase 120 v circuit, and therefor 30 Amp. You are showing two 120 volt values on your control panel so you indeed are on a 50 amp service.

If you are reading 207 v across your hot legs the service is being provided by two legs of a 3 phase 208 volt service. That will still give you 2 circuits of 120 volts single phase (hot to neutral) out of your RV's breaker panel which is what a normal 50 amp service will provide, but the deference being the hot to hot will show as 208 v instead of 240 v (as would normally see in a split phase 240/120 service). As long as you have no circuits expecting 240 volts (i.e., no double pole breakers in RV) you are just fine, it is just that the RV control panel is getting fooled.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Well, you are hitting the edge of my electrical knowledge, sorry. I know that shore power has 2 legs of 50 amp that are 180 out of phase, giving the 220 read.
This statement from Ed has 2 false claims. Just like most residential service, the two legs will be the same phase. When there is 3 phase power, each phase is 120 degrees apart.

I would make sure the circuit breaker on the side of your inverter is not tripped, that might drop out one leg????
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #28
Tom in GG

50 amp is 2 120 V circuits, just like 240 volt circuits in a house for electric range, hot water heater, dryer etc. Things (loads) that operate on 120v get power from one of the circuits. The MH is wired so that an approx equal amount of loads are on each circuit. If there are any loads that need 240V then these loads are wired so that they draw from both circuits, the 2 slots, one on each side of the plug. Insert a voltmeter into these 2 slots at the same time you should read 240V. One slot and one ground or neutral will read 120V. The top and bottom slots, or more like holes, are ground and neutral. If you have volt readings a lot lower it’s probably overloaded RV park electrical system, or could be uncalibrated and in- accurate volt meter.
tomingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Well, you are hitting the edge of my electrical knowledge, sorry. I know that shore power has 2 legs of 50 amp that are 180 out of phase, giving the 220 read.
This statement from Ed has 2 false claims. Just like most residential service, the two legs will be the same phase. When there is 3 phase power, each phase is 120 degrees apart.

I would make sure the circuit breaker on the side of your inverter is not tripped, that might drop out one leg????
At least in the US most residential service WILL in fact have two legs 180 degrees out of phase, giving us 220V at the service entrance. A typical '50A' RV hookup will in fact be 220V in two legs each 180 degrees out of phase. MOST RVs (there are some high-end exceptions) will make use of this as two separate legs of 120V, yielding a total of 100A available between them. The fact that they are out of phase with each other is how the RV determines that it in fact has '50A' service.

(I seems possible that there are some '50A' RV hookups that supply two 120V legs from a 208V three-leg supply which are 120deg out of phase. This looks like it may be what the OP experienced, and may have caused to EMS to fail to detect '50A'. This would also be a potential problem for any high-end coaches which actually make use of 220V, since that would NOT be provided by this arrangement.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver2diver View Post
I should mention i do not have the original inverter in my RV. It was replaced i 2015 with magnum inverter
I have this PDF from PCS that addresses you problem. I hope it helps.
I called PCS and verified 208/240VAC will satisfy the 50A service requirement.
Follow the troubleshooting procedure for this problem. You should have an answer to your question in short order.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCS-Trouble-Shooting-05-19-12.pdf (600.0 KB, 59 views)

Tags
panel, service