Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

50 amp question and air

we just brought our new to us 2007 Winnie Voyage home and started to clean it up. My question is, Will the basement air run properly if I plug the 50 amp cord into a 30 amp plug. Second question When we got home we leveled it up put out the slides and started the generator because our old MH was parked on the 30 amp plug. The Generator ran well as did the basement air for about 1 hour. Then the Air shut down but the generator still appeared to be running smoothly. From running wel and cooling to shut off any Ideas of what caused the problem?
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

BillB100, Yes the basement air will run with the 30 amp plug. The Power Management system will detect that you are connected to 30 amps and shed loads to prevent drawing more that 30 amps.
Did you have 110vac at the recepts if not check the breakers on the generator.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

1. If you plug 50A into a 30A outlet, make sure your power control center is set for 30A. If you draw more than 30A, while the power control center is set for 50A, you'll blow the supply circuit breaker. I don't know the specifics, but there are ways to feed 50A from two 30A outlets.

2.It should run OK on 30A, but 30A is marginal and your power control center may shut down compressor #2 if the amps peak too high. This will definitely happen if you have anything else on that is of significant wattage (especially the water heater or microwave).

3. I'm not sure what's up with your generator-A/C situation. Given your 50A/30A question, it's not clear if you've tried running it on shore power (preferably 50A). If it acts the same on shore power of adequate amperage, it's not your generator. If your generator operates fine with other high wattage appliances like the microwave or water heater, it's probably not your generator.

I Googled "coleman basement air shutting down" and got a lot of hits. You might want to do the same and see which ones sound like your issue. One thing mentioned was coil icing. You should also download the service manual for your model and check the troubleshooting pages. Step by step troubleshooting is time consuming but more effective than the shotgun approach.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok everyone I got my answer and have determined what my problem was All I had to do was replace my converter. Every NEW TO YOU RIG will have its problems. In this case Everything that the past owner owned and carried in the rig went home with me that included 2 Chargers. I should have realized what the problem was right away. When I disconnected the ground off the House batteries and then plugged the rig in I no longer had lights. Converter was out.. No problem an hour standing on my head and $250 dollars later we have good lights and the air works great (wont work well if not getting 12 volt to the thermostat) I think I may Love this unit after all!
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote