Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have an appointment in two months for work but have the problem that after 4 or 5 days without running the coach the batteries drain down less that 11 volts and can't start without boost. I've checked to make sure everything is off, any ideas would help befor the 2 month appoinment. Thanks Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an appointment in two months for work but have the problem that after 4 or 5 days without running the coach the batteries drain down less that 11 volts and can't start without boost. I've checked to make sure everything is off, any ideas would help befor the 2 month appoinment. Thanks Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have the same problem on a 2004. I have noticed that there are numerous fused wires coming directly off the battery. They are probably the source of chassis battery drain. I have been adding a wire from the coach to the chassis batteries while parked for over a couple of days. You must take it off before starting the engine or put a fuse in the line otherwise you will gets lots of current upon start up.

Bottom line, would like to have it fixed. I beleive the only full time power required off the chassis battery is the electronic controls for the engine and transmssion. These lines probably can be connected to the coach circuit and turned off when the coach is not used.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Draining coach batteries in 4-5 days without any real use is not normal. The way to check the parasitic loads is to measure current through each wire to determine what is at fault. This requires an ammeter (either in-line of clamp-on). However, I doubt that the problem is coach releated and would check the batteries themselves. One bad cell will drain the system quickly. The way to isolate problem is to disconnect the batteries and measure the voltage of each one separately both charged and when the discharge problem exists. You can learn a lot with a good voltmeter and a small (10 amp or so) charger which everyone should have. (They are not expensive) Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I was talking about the chassis batteries. I beleive Lucc was also since he talked about starting!

What kind of meter do you have that can measure DC current with a clamp on? I want one!
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: DC clamp-on ammeters are not uncommon. Here is one that measures both ac and dc: http://www.altex.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=3804

I have not used this particular one and don't know if it is any good. It's kind of like asking what brand of bread is good--it depends.

My comments are still applicable; I still think that the battery should be checked.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Whoops! Sorry, that is the wrong URL. Try this for DC clamp-on ammeter: http://www.hotektech.com/GMCMetraclip70.htm
Old 02-25-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you turned off the electric steps. I read some where that the power steps solinoid remain active and draws power from the chassis batteries.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote