Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

37" LCD install

I finally got around to removing my 150lb gorilla (27" Sony) and installing a 37" Dynex LCD tv. Not only is it much lighter, I can now receive lots of OTA channels with my Jack antenna. I made the articulating arm mount from 3/4" plywood, and u-bolted it to the frame work under the cabinet floor above the fireplace. Not only did I save weight there, I also replaced the outside 25" tv with a much more functional Weber Baby Q. The 37" tv fit great inside the existing cabinet space with no modifications. The articulating arm is a Simplex unit from Costco, so I have a travel restraint in front, with a felt pad to cushion the bottom from "road quakes".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42 Buick 006.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	5675   Click image for larger version

Name:	42 Buick 008.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	5676  

Click image for larger version

Name:	42 Buick 010.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	5677   Click image for larger version

Name:	42 Buick 009.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	5678  

Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Nice job. Looks great...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Nice job Pushrod.
Something to consider do you have a vent on side wall of your cabinet, when I installed my 40" was said to allow 1' above LCD for heat to escape out the top of LCD. Heat is a killer to LCD's it says in my installation book.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Nice job! It could just be the picture, but that arm looks a bit weak for a TV that big for a coach application. I know putting one on my boat I had to find a stronger mount.

Enjoy!
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is a 1" slot opening above the tv, however, we will pull it out slightly to have the best viewing angle. The arm was rated to 60lbs. capacity, and the tv weighs 37lbs., so we shall see. It is captured front to back, and also supported from the bottom in the travel mode. It is very accessable if a beefier arm is needed later.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Question Pushrod - how was your old 27 inch held in place? I just noticed retainer nuts on what appears to be a metal strap leading up from the bottom of both sides of the TV in my installation. I need to check some wiring in the back and hesitate to get it loose and not be able to resecure the TV. My installation appears very simular to yours with fireplace on the bottom. Did you have to remove the fireplace to remove the old TV?
Thanks a bunch,
Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Pushrod, when the gals descend to watch Susan Boyle you are always welcome to come over and watch tv on my iddy biddy screen.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This unit was held in by brace that rested on the top front to prevent it from sliding forward, and by two brackets midway on each bottom side to prevent backward motion. The top brace was held in by four bolts through the upper trim board, which can be accessed by removing the 1/2' by 30" beveled trim piece which runs the center of the top trim board. Once the bolts are out, unscrew four wood screws to remove trim board and brace. The tv can them come straight forward, with help. The fireplace must be removed to access the bolts holding the side braces in. The outside tv had a strap bolted to the floor which ran up the side, over the top, and down the other side. I have also seen another tv that had "hook" type braces that captured the bottom of the tv.
And if you have anymore of that San Antonio "sauce" left MAVERICKBBD, I'll put Susan on FOR the girls and be right on over!