Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

30 to 50 Modification

I modified my 2015 Vista 27N Shore Power Connection to use either the default 30 Amp mode or to use a 50 Amp Shore Power mode. Note a 50 Amp RV Pedestal actually is two 50 Amp Breakered Feeds, it can deliver 3.3 times more power to an RV vs. what the single 30 amp Breakered Feed can.

To do the 50 Amp mode, I use my 30 Amp RV extension cord and a 15 Amp 12 gauge extension cord, both items I already carry in my RV. And a special 50 Amp Male to 2 x 30 Amp Female + in-line fused 15 Amp Female adapter I made.

Here's two pictures of the first part, the pedestal side adapter: the OEM shore cable plugs into 30 Amp Outlet #1. The 30 Amp Extension Cord plugs into 30 Amp Outlet #2. The 15 amp extension cord plugs into the in-line fused 15 Amp Outlet.

Now here is a picture of the RV end:

- No change to the OEM Breaker box, the 30 amp shore cable, the 30 Amp shore / generator transfer switch, or the 4 KW generator.

- The 30 Amp extension cord outlet plugs into the new compact 2 circuit breaker box via a 30 Amp Male plug. The box is mounted in some spare space in the upper corner of the basement power / water compartment. Box is fed by a 30 Amp male plug and the breaker box outputs a 20 Amp circuit with 20 Amp outlet for AC and a 15 Amp outlet for the converter/charger.

I ran the 3 OEM breaker box circuits that I wanted to feed from Phase 2 of 50 Amp shore power to 3 grounded outlets in the basement. These have red cable ties around them for identification. The load romex that was tied to these 3 circuits now go to matching plugs. The 3 circuits are identified with blue, green, yellow cable ties and by printed labels. In OEM mode the plugs and sockets connect the 3 loads to the 3 OEM breakers as before. In 50A mode I unplug the 3 loads and move them to the 2 sockets tied to the new breaker box and the 3rd one to the 15 Amp Extension cord socket.

End result is that I can safely draw 30 Amps from Phase 1 of the 50 Amp Outlet to my convenience outlets and refrigerator outlet. I can safely draw up to 30 Amps to feed the AC and converter, and up to another 15 Amps for the Microwave / Hot Water Heater.

Parts cost of this project was $ 70, not counting the 50 Amp to 30 Amp adapter that I modified, the 30 Amp RV extension cord, the 30 Amp Plug, and the 15 Amp extension cord that I already had on hand.

Why did I do it this way?

- Did not have to replace the OEM breaker box.

- Did not have to replace the 30 Amp Main Cable between the breaker box and the transfer switch.

- Did not have to replace the OEM 30 Amp Transfer Switch.

- Did not have to replace the 30 Amp Shore Cable with a 50 Amp Shore Cable.
Attached Images

powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat