Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

30 to 50 amps?

has anyone changed from a 30 to 50 amp system. looking for pros and cons,if possible. can it be done and do you have a list of things to do. I have a 32 v,2000
Could use advice
THANKS
ALAN TEK
alan tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I explored this recently and the long and short of it is that you are probably better off buying a different coach.

You will have any or all of the following: a new switching unit, an additional 110 line strung through the coach, additional breaker(s) to accommodate the additional line(s), possibly a new control panel, inverter/converter, and certainly the hours it will take to make this change. This will be assuming you can find someone you can trust to do it for you.

I really like our unit so we will just learn to live with it here.

Good luck!
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

On my 2000 Journey 36' , 50 amp was an option but mine was 30 amp. The only things I had to replace was the power cord and the main breaker in the panel. Also had to replace the wiring from the transfer switch to the main breaker panel.

Would need a lot more information to determine if yours could be changed and what it would take to do it.

The first place to start is to go to the Winnebago web site, they have all the wiring diagrams. would need to know if your transfer switch is compatable, could existing breaker panel be reused. The converter and monitor panels are the same, so no problem there. If the answer to both is yes then go for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wizard
I have the same unit a 36L and I was considering upgrading to 50 Amp. How has it worked out for you?

Rick
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Great, now we can run the AC on both compressors, the hot water heater and washer dryer at the same time. And warm a sandwich in the microwave without waiting for something else to turn off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just converted our 30 amp Avion to 50 amps so that we can power both A/C units. On a motorhome you will have to deal with replacing the transfer switch as well as the power panel and cord. I replaced my old 30 amp panel with a new Progressive Dynamics 50 amp panel with the integral 12 volt panel and converter. Total material cost for me was right at $600.00.

Since it was an option on your coach, you might contact the dealer about converting it.

Ken
Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my 36G the cost was under $100.00. It was an option on mine.

Rick, do you still have the original front TV. If so I really need some information from the user manual.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wizard

They have installed a new tv.
The power switch appears to accept either 30 or 50.
The energy management system says it will accept both.
I think I just need to replace cord, breaker and the wire between breaker panel and transfer switch, like you said.

Rick
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just finished converting my 96 Suncruiser 34RQ over to 50amp. It was not an option until 97 on mine. It also did not come with a automatic transfer switch, my 30a shore cord plugs back into an outlet which is what the 30a side of my 5k generator feeds. The 20a side went directly to the rear air. Mine also had at one time the front/rear a/c switch but someone removed it before I bought it and just wired both a/c's up together. The only reason that I did this conversion was to be able to run both a/c's while on shore power.

I started by getting a WFCO T-57 50amp ATC off eBay along with a 36' 50amp power cord. I also got a outside 70amp breaker box, a 30a and a 20a breaker and a weatherproof outlet box, 50amp outlet and a weatherproof outlet cover from Home Depot.

I drilled a 1 1/4" hole through the outlet box and then through the wall between my generator compartment and the rear storage compartment that runs the whole width of my Itasca. I then mounted the 50a ATC and 70a breaker box on the front wall of the rear compartment. The nuts I used for the bolts I had to have my wife hold the bolts while I tightened the nuts up from the underneath storage of the bed.

I then used new 6/3-8/1 wire and ran it from the new 50a outlet in the generator compartment throught the wall to the shore power input on the ATC, then ran another 6/3-8/1 wire from the output on the ATC to the 70amp breaker box. I then disconnected the generator outputs that went to the factory 30a breaker box and to the rear a/c. I hooked these up to the 30a and 20a breakers in the new box so that the 50amp coming from shore power, one leg is feeds the new 30a breaker then goes to the factory 30a breaker and the other 50a leg goes through the new 20a breaker and directly to the rear a/c.

The only part that I need to finish this weekend is to run new 10-2 w/ground wires from the generator output wires to the generator input on the ATC box.

This way the only wires that I had to change/disconnect from the factory wiring is the output from the generator. I know that I could have just spliced into the rear a/c wire and added a plug liek others have done, but I didn't want to have to run 2 power cords for shore power. This way I don't have to worry if the 30a and the 20a outlets at a campground are on the same circuit.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Converting the Rig to 50 amp service
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I do have the users manual for the TV info.

Rick
Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

No manual, thats the problem, previous owner swapped tv and the new tv won't play through the surround sound. Trying to figure it out. Maybe someday, I will find someone with a manual for the original tv to figure out what type of audio output the original tv had. The speaker wires and amplifier is nothing like the Winnie drawings.

Good luck on your 50 amp change over, any questions, just ask.

Where is Safety Harbor, I will be in Beverly Beach in 2 weeks for a week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]