Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

27N Windshield Shade

Planning to install MCD windshield power shade. Looking for suggestions on wiring. I was thinking about taping into the two windshield defrost fans since the wiring is already in the overhead storage area, that leaves me with switch location issues? Again, this is a 2017 Winnebago Vista 27N
rereaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Interested in doing the same. Questions: Do you have the LX model? Do you have overhead bunk above captains chairs? Do you have a dummy switch on dash next to the fan switch or radio batt switch that could be used for your blinds? Are you planning on installing side blinds as well or just windshield? When you install I would love to see pictures and read description of install Thanks
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
Interested in doing the same. Questions: Do you have the LX model? Do you have overhead bunk above captains chairs? Do you have a dummy switch on dash next to the fan switch or radio batt switch that could be used for your blinds? Are you planning on installing side blinds as well or just windshield? When you install I would love to see pictures and read description of install Thanks
Hi Park Super, I'm not up to speed with this forum reply however I replyed to your questions yesterday, did you get my reply? I thought I could see my reply to your questions however I do not see it. So let me answer your questions once again to make sure:

1. I do not know what specific model 27N I have I do not recall LX on any of my documentation, so I assume the answer is NO
2. Yes, I have overhead bunk
3. I'm not sure but hope so, I will check once I go over to my motorhome. What is "radio batt"?
4. Yes I hope to install side blind in the future once I have the windshield shade installed.
5. I will post pictures once I have the shade insalled. Trying to determine if I want a valance to cover the shade housing.

I have a question for you. I noticed you have installed Sumo springs, rear sway bar and safe-T-steer. I have safe-T-steer, not all that impressed but some improvement. I plan to install roadmaster rear sway bar and maybe sumo springs. Have you noticed a major improvement? Which item gave you the biggest bang for the buck?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rereaves View Post
Hi Park Super, I'm not up to speed with this forum reply however I replyed to your questions yesterday, did you get my reply? I thought I could see my reply to your questions however I do not see it. So let me answer your questions once again to make sure:

1. I do not know what specific model 27N I have I do not recall LX on any of my documentation, so I assume the answer is NO
2. Yes, I have overhead bunk
3. I'm not sure but hope so, I will check once I go over to my motorhome. What is "radio batt"? You may not have this switch but on my coach the switch changes the radio electric source from the coach battery to the chassis battery.
4. Yes I hope to install side blind in the future once I have the windshield shade installed.
5. I will post pictures once I have the shade insalled. Trying to determine if I want a valance to cover the shade housing.

I have a question for you. I noticed you have installed Sumo springs, rear sway bar and safe-T-steer. I have safe-T-steer, not all that impressed but some improvement. I plan to install roadmaster rear sway bar and maybe sumo springs. Have you noticed a major improvement? Which item gave you the biggest bang for the buck?
Yes I installed Sumo springs on front and back. This was the first suspension change I made and the difference was night and day. Really took the rock and roll and sway out of the coach, made cornering on turns feel much safer. I did not install a rear sway bar but a rear track bar. This was the next change and this resolved the buffeting and pushing from large trucks. The last change I made was the the safe t steer and this helped to reduce the seesaw of the steering wheel when trying to keep the coach in a straight line. Although most of the improvement came from the sumo springs. The track bar and safe t steer made more refined improvements in handling and drivability. Together these improvements really made the coach much easier and in my mind safer to drive
Old 02-14-2021, 05:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi and once again thanks for the reply:

I have a switch on the right side of the steering column and next to the overhead fan switch which might be the one you are refering. I will check it out. Hope I can avoid installing a new switch however I did order one along with my shade. Looks like the electrical will be the fun part of this project.

Thanks also for the suspension info. I have installed the safe-T-plus and it made some improvement but has not solved the problem. I was planning on Sumo Springs in the front and Roadmaster Anti Sway Bar in the rear. However with the improvement you have had with Sumo front and rear maybe that is a better choice. Prior purchasing my 27N, we had diesel pushers and of course the air suspension, weight etc. are like night and day but when considering everything I like my 27N just what better control and handling.

Thanks Again,
Ron
Old 02-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes the 27n is a big rv in a little package. Big bed, big kitchen, big tv, lots of storage. We added 270 watts of solar and dish traveler and love to go off the grid with all the comforts of home. enjoy
Old 02-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When planning a new item, I like to look at where current things might be that I might want to tap into and one way to get a good quick look at those parts is the "parts catalog" as it is not just a sale item but give a total "x-ray" type view of the parts and that lets me locate them! Things like the radio switch can show up!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

And I note that you do have an LX as there are two different builds of that 27N in the LX column! Check serial number to spot exactly which you have. The info should be on a label near the driver left side, perhaps?

Look for the "front end wiring" for that portion? But one way that is often handy to get from top to bottom is to run it down the column between the windshield and side. some only take a couple screws to remove and then you can access the whole dash area where the breaker panel may be a good place to add a circuit.

Keep in mind motors do draw a bit more current than lights, etc. so avoid overloading some small breaker like a 6 amp, etc.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi, i just ordered a set of Sumo Springs for the front. Hope to get installed before a 300 mile trip middle of March. Maybe I can get both the shade and the Sumo installed before we leave.

Thanks again
Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Morich, I hope my reply to your feedback back went through. I really appreciate your feedback and the parts link, maybe I will learn how to use this forum but for now it's a learning experience LOL
Old 06-13-2021, 04:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good Morning, well finally installed the windshield shade on my 2014, Vista 27N. I purchased the shades from MCD along with the switch. Installation was not that difficult however I have a couple of modifications I want to make. I attached the shade as instructed with the clamps provided however I feel that the shade could use a couple more clamps which MCD provided. The overhead upholstery covered material does note provide as secure attachment as I would like, so some minor modifications are required to firm up attachment, may just being picky. I'm also considering a Cornice Board, if that is what it is called to cover the shade however it does not look that bad without, in my opinion that is. The wiring was a bit interesting. I decided to tie into the 12 volt accessary outlet, cigar lighter, located on the left side of the steering column. I ran the wires down the inside of the A post trim and spliced into the accessary wiring. I did not want to cut a hole for attaching the switch into my dash so I ran the wires under the dash over to the cup holder. I then cut a hole to accommodate the switch in the side of the cup holder. This area is easy to reach even when the drivers seat is turned around and the switch wiring can be reached for service if necessary. Please note that I did not order the remote my shade is manual switch only and seems to work just fine. The 12 volt accessary power supply is hot all the time so the shade can be raised or lowed without turning on the key. I have pictures to share however I have a difficult time attaching pictures but I will try. One last comment, we are still using the side widow curtain so it was necessary to remove the windshield curtain bar. I remove the attachments and cut the bar between the right and left a-post leaving the sides attached so curtains could be used. I may replace the sides later. I will try to post pictures in a separate post. Forgot, I was concerned about the travel of the shade and was looking for some way to guide the shade along the angle of the a-post. This would be similar to what I have seen on newer coaches with the windshield shade installed by Winnebago however I think my travel is fine for now may change in the future once I figure out how to install a-post guide that looks good.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

looking forward to the pictures
Old 06-14-2021, 04:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

27N Windshield Shade Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210601_155026.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	179593

Name:	20210601_155034.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	179594

Name:	20210601_155045.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	179595

Help, can not understand how to add pictures. The attachments above are rotated and large maybe that is the problem.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rereaves View Post
Attachment 179593

Attachment 179594

Attachment 179595

Help, can not understand how to add pictures. The attachments above are rotated and large maybe that is the problem.
Maybe you can see what I was trying to communicate. The switch is mounted to the cup holder, see small dark brown or black switch on side of tray.

Sorry for poor pictures