Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
J_L
Winnebago Watcher

2108ds trailer solar "ready"

Hi,

I recently purchased a lightly used 2019 Minni Winni trailer that has a solar connector but I don't have any info on it. The towables manual doesn't even mention it. (Not that it mentions much at all)

Anyone know if it's just a connection to the battery or is the onboard charger also solar capable?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
J_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check it with a volt meter. If it is for a ground solar unit it should be terminated on the battery after a circuit breaker. If you have 12vdc at the fitting you are good to go with a ground unit as they have a built in controller.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
Check it with a volt meter. If it is for a ground solar unit it should be terminated on the battery after a circuit breaker. If you have 12vdc at the fitting you are good to go with a ground unit as they have a built in controller.
Mike is probably right but I'd double check the specs on whatever "ground unit" is being considered to be sure it has a built-in controller. Some low wattage units won't have a controller and, presumably don't need one (I've read 15w or less). I have a 15w panel that I'm going to use as a trickle charger on my van that probably doesn't need a controller but I purchased an inexpensive controller, "just in case".
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2020 2108ds. I got a renorgy 200Watt solar suitcase panel works great. The controller is on the suitcase not in the trailer.
thebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2018ds trailer solar ready

If the solar connector was factory installed go to the winnebagoind.com website and find the wiring diagram. It should indicate where the wire from the connector is terminated.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

this web site will probably help alot, I have a 2020 2106 fbs and my solar plug is on the roof, but since i already had a suitcase with furrion plugs i have mine in the shop getting a furrion plug. I have no plans to stick a bunch of solar panels on the roof.

https://www.specialized.net/solar/za...-ready-rv.html
sinergee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Jim, Sadly there is little information on the Solar wiring on their website.

or if there is wiring already to the battery. : ( I have a 2021 2108DS.
Chuckb1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The “solar ready” wiring on the 2021 2108ds is not connected to the battery. There is a badge inside the pass thru on the curb side right next to the 12v light fixture. Behind the label, you will find 10awg wires that lead up to the roof gland which already has mc4 connectors. There is no solar charge controller provided. To install rooftop panels, take the wires from behind the pass thru badge and connect them to a solar charge controller suitable to support the type of panels you’re putting on the roof. Then wire the charge controller to the battery. Once you have tested and connected the charge controller, you can then install the panels and connect the panel mc4 connectors to the mc4 connectors on the gland. You will now have solar charging the battery.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Marine359 ! That is very helpful!
Chuckb1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckb1175 View Post
Thank you Marine359 ! That is very helpful!
Forgot to mention that, with panels in the sun, you should check the Voc with a multimeter across the mc4 panels, to ensure output matches mfg spec before affixing them to the roof.
Good luck with your install.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_L View Post
I recently purchased a lightly used 2019 Minni Winni trailer!
Hi, I just wanted to offer a suggestion that will help you in future posts and anytime you seek advice or repair of your TT.

You have a MICRO MINNIE travel trailer. It is not however a "Minni Winni" because that would make it a Class C Motorhome.

Winnebago Product Names
Travel Trailers:
Micro Minnie
Minnie

Class C Motorhome
Minnie Winnie
The names are awful close and yet the distinction is very large. So, do try to keep this naming distinction in mind. If you start looking for advice, parts or repairs for a Minnie Winnie you will not have a lot of success when you are really looking for Micro Minnie info and parts.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hi, I just wanted to offer a suggestion that will help you in future posts and anytime you seek advice or repair of your TT.

You have a MICRO MINNIE travel trailer. It is not however a "Minni Winni" because that would make it a Class C Motorhome.

Winnebago Product Names
Travel Trailers:
Micro Minnie
Minnie

Class C Motorhome
Minnie Winnie
The names are awful close and yet the distinction is very large. So, do try to keep this naming distinction in mind. If you start looking for advice, parts or repairs for a Minnie Winnie you will not have a lot of success when you are really looking for Micro Minnie info and parts.
There is also the Winnie Drop travel trailer. Often referred as a Minnie Drop. Yes, very confusing nomenclature.
pbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Once you get the correct model name you might want to set up a signature block similar to mine and some of the other posters. That way it'll be there every time you post. You can do it via the User CP in the toolbar.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
Site Team

BobC, I thought the Drop was just “Drop,” kind of like the “Hike.” So I went to the WBGO website to check and found it missing from the lineup. Guess it’s gone.

I also found the details of the Micro Minnie FLX. Wow, there’s some neat stuff there.

Tags
solar