Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2021 Voyage Solar and DC Distribution

I have found basically no information in the provided owners manuals and on the Winnebago website for the 2021 2831RB Voyage DC power & distribution. The extent of the dealer provided information is simply a user manual for the PWM Charge Controller.

It seems the two batteries are charged only from the 100 watt Solar Panel so the obvious question is how is the DC system maintained in enclosed storage? Am I missing something?

The Winnebago website has many electrical wiring diagrams for various models except the Voyage is not even mentioned. Thanks in advance.
haycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can only guess at some of your questions:

The PWM controller is usually wired directly to the batteries so they will charge whether the battery disconnect switch is on or off.

In covered storage, but not enclosed you will probably get enough indirect light to keep your coach batteries charged. If enclosed, probably not and you will need to either connect up a shore power source and keep the disconnect switch on to charge up the batteries or remove the batteries, take them home and put them on a trickle charger.

FWIW modern coaches have enough parasitic loads from CO detectors, etc that can't be shut off with the disconnect switch to completely run down the batteries in a few months.

I suspect being in enclosed storage you can't run the generator every month or so to keep the batteries up.

David
Old 11-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Voyage is a towable and, for some unknown reason, Winnebago only publishes wiring and plumbing diagrams and other guides for their motorhomes. Your best bet is to charge up your batteries and then disconnect them completely at the batteries for storage. To make this more convenient you can install a battery disconnect switch at the batteries. I mounted one of these on my battery box with one key tied to the switch and the other in a safe place onboard:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...7982037&sr=8-2

Although either will work, most sites recommend using such a switch to disconnect the negative cable between the chassis and the battery bank. You'll need an additional cable of appropriate size and length to make sure you can remove the battery box cover.

Note that it's recommended that flooded, lead acid batteries be recharged every 6 - 9 months when disconnected. I couldn't find a clear reference for AGM batteries, but they can go longer. In any case, you'll probably be using your trailer more often that that so it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's 100% disconnected from all "parasitic" loads while in storage.

When my switch was "off", the only thing that was still connected was the tongue jack that was connected directly to the positive and negative battery terminals in case the storage yard had to move my trailer.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ahhhh, a T/T, ok most of my comments above are still valid but you are unlikely to have a generator (or the ability to run it indoors).

On our last T/T it neither had a disconnect switch or a fuse/breaker protecting the leads from the batteries. I installed a surface mount 30A breaker to provide both.

AGMs typically self-discharge 1-2% per month so you can usually go a full winter season and not worry about them as long as they are totally disconnected.

FLA batteries self-discharge at 5-10% per month and definitely need some charging to get through a long winter season. Your only real solution is to take them home and put them on a trickle charger.

David
Old 11-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

David and Bob - thanks for your comments. I'm pretty disappointed that Winnebago does not provide at least an elementary wiring diagram and a functional description for the electrical system. My guess is they obviously want owners to take them back to a dealer for maintenance. It will take a little time but I will make my own wring diagram. I will explore the options you mentioned for storage. Thanks again.
haycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The Voyage is a towable and, for some unknown reason, Winnebago only publishes wiring and plumbing diagrams and other guides for their motorhomes. Your best bet is to charge up your batteries and then disconnect them completely at the batteries for storage. To make this more convenient you can install a battery disconnect switch at the batteries. I mounted one of these on my battery box with one key tied to the switch and the other in a safe place onboard:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...7982037&sr=8-2

Although either will work, most sites recommend using such a switch to disconnect the negative cable between the chassis and the battery bank. You'll need an additional cable of appropriate size and length to make sure you can remove the battery box cover.

Note that it's recommended that flooded, lead acid batteries be recharged every 6 - 9 months when disconnected. I couldn't find a clear reference for AGM batteries, but they can go longer. In any case, you'll probably be using your trailer more often that that so it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's 100% disconnected from all "parasitic" loads while in storage.

When my switch was "off", the only thing that was still connected was the tongue jack that was connected directly to the positive and negative battery terminals in case the storage yard had to move my trailer.

Yes, I own a Voyage myself. I've often suspected that Winnebago considers it (and their other towables) their red-headed stepchild, to be kept a deep, dark secret!
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
Yes, I own a Voyage myself. I've often suspected that Winnebago considers it (and their other towables) their red-headed stepchild, to be kept a deep, dark secret!
I'm a few months (years?) late to the thread, but echo the feeling of stepchild status as a 2023 2831RB towable owner (Fall 22 delivery). I share the frustration on lack of documentation that is otherwise abundant (CAD drawing level) for motor homes.

I covered my trailer last winter, so the solar panel was out of commission to keep my battery charged. I turned off the disconnect next to the solar controller, disconnected the deep cycle marine battery, and used a "Battery Tender" at home to maintain an appropriate charge over the winter months.Worked out well for me.
gahendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, voyage