Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2020 View D Trik L Start

Greetings,
Newbie View owner with minimal electrical experience wanting to be certain to correctly install a Trik L Start. Can anyone offer pictures of the wire connections?

I reviewed an install performed in 2016 and I'm not sure if the connections are similar. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What part is giving you heartburn? I don't have that model RV but do have the trik-l and found it very easy to install, so might throw some light as I did not like the directions for how/where to install mine. Is it the part about tying it in at the relays which is a bother?
I did not like that as my relays are buried and I went simple and just put it in the battery compartment on my Vista as much easier to get to and very simple as all the needed connections are there and easy to ID.
I keep in mind that it only needs to connect wires to the coach battery, the start battery, and ground and where that is done is really not too important, just as long as there is nothing else between the trik-l and the batteries positive side.
Would that idea clear the problem?
This is what I did and kept it all in the battery box:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trikl.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	175708  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2020 View D Trik L Start

Morich,

Thanks for your advise. I was planning on attaching and placing the device on the front passenger seat frame and did not think about the battery housing. I thought that having a visual on the status my be helpful.

My real concern is related to incorrect wiring and potential damage to the electronics and software.

Skip
Old 11-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is a link to a thread on Sprinter Source forums that should help you out:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/55490/
Old 11-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, understand wanting to be correct but that is where I decided the directions included did not take about how difficult it might be to reach on different RV, so went with a different plan as much easier for me to access. Perhaps you seat is easy, but hti si an easy option that I might look at if there is an easier place to get to it.
There is a theory that we want to keep connections off the battery as it may tend to corrode on the terminals but if we move the connections to the fuses nearby, those rarely have a corrosion problem, so I might want to look at both plans and do what looks best. Here is my thought without seeing the space.
You have both coach and start batteries in the compartment with two big fuses alongside them and batteries always have a ground very close like the frame or metal box they are in. So that is the three points you need to run one wire each to get it right! There should be rings of tape on battery cables to help find each and in your case you need to look for the purple and yellow markers whether doing it at the solenoid or the battery/fuse compartment.
A snip of the drawing for your RV:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trik.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	175719   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable code.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	175720  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Important to get the AGM type for AGM batteries or the lithium type if the RV has lithium phosate batteries. Precision Circuits makes both types and has 160 amp and 225 amp versions. The lithium BIM may work with AGM but the AGM type will not work with the lithium house batteries.

Improtant also to do an X pattern connection with the batteries. It shows in the first diagram but is not necessarily obvious.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
'21 View 24J

Hi - I just installed an Amp - L - Start in my 2021 View a couple of weeks ago. Same product as a Trik - L - Start, but it can be optimized for Lithium coach batteries. Installing either product in a 2020 view and newer is very straightforward, regardless of battery type.

Starting in 2020 Winnebago installed an electronic charge relay in place of the old battery boost solenoid, still located under the passenger seat. You can't miss it, when you look under the seat. It is teal coloured and in the outboard back corner of the seat pedestal box. It is called a Chargemate Pro 40 by MasterVolt. If you have not looked yet, you can lift up the styrofoam cover sheet under the seat and see the Chargemate very easily.

Four torx bolts, and the whole seat assembly lifted off without having to disconnect the lone electrical cable. The cable has enough slack that you can support the seat gently on the driver’s seat, and you have full access to the gear under the seat pedestal.

The MasterVolt Charge Mate Pro 40 charge relay is mounted on the aft wall of the pedestal box, and right above it is a shelf that is perfect for the Trik – L – Start to sit. I mounted my Amp – L – Start as close to the outboard wall of the pedestal as comfortable, so when the seat is back installed you can lift the Styrofoam cover sheet on top of the box and have a look at what the unit is doing by reading the LED readouts very easily.

The wiring is simple. The "starting battery" wire goes to the top pole of the Chargemate hooked up to the Sprinter alternator, and the "coach battery" wire goes to the bottom pole of the Chargemate which is hooked up to your coach batteries. I just put a ground screw beside the Amp - L - Start on the shelf (remove a bit of paint when you drill the hole, and the ground will be solid) as there were lots of grounds in there, but none too handy.

I believe this installation is identical to the method used by View owners prior to 2020, but instead of hooking up to the old battery boost solenoid you will be hooking up to the new current limited charge relay / battery isolater.

I've got some pictures that might help. Let me know if you need them, and I will try to figure out how to upload them to this thread.

By the way, the Amp - L - Start is working very well; glad I bought it.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
'21 View 24J

I found some pictures of my Amp - L - Start install in our 2021 View.

Let's see if this worked...

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010742.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	175725   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010743.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	175726  

Name:	P1010746.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	175727  
Old 11-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 2020 View D Trik L Start

Many thanks to all and the enclosed pictures. The Trik L device should arrive this week and I will install.

Skip
Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hint. Rotate the seat at a slight angle for easy access to the Torx head bolts. I mounted mine on the left side of the seat pedestal (toward the driver). As I recall there is already a hole there that can be used for the wires. It sits under the skirt around the seat pedestal. I used a photo I found somewhere on the internet showing the connections. It took me a while to realize that the photo was taken from the front of the seat.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

2020 View D Trik - L -Start

Ontario Bob,
I decided to return the Trik -L -Start and ordered the Amp-L-Start for possible future upgrade to lithium batteries. May I ask a few additional questions?

1. Do the instructions advise what cable gauge to use?
2. Any concerns with drilling the groung hole related to hitting any objects?
3. Not certain but I figured I'd ask: Are your coach batteries set up the same way as mine in the enclosed picture? If so, can you advise on what cable to disconnect
prior to installation?

I appreciate the pictures (visual guy) and the input.
Thanks, Skip
Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

2020 View D Trik-l-Start

Ontario Bob,
Please note enclosed coach battery picture.

Skip
Old 11-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
'21 View 24J

Amp - L - Start installation on View

Skip -

1. Yes, the instructions recommend 12 gauge, or 10 gauge for long runs. Since I installed mine just a few inches away from the Charge Mate relay, I used # 12. Compared to the Trik-l-Start wires, the larger gauge allows up to 15 amps of current... but I'm pretty sure that is overkill as I can't see the chassis battery ever needing that much of a charge in this application.

But, I used 12 gauge...

2. The shelf I installed mine on is hollow underneath. Even so, the small hole I drilled, with minimal penetration, was no risk. I removed a bit of paint with the drill bit to make sure of a good contact.

3. I can't find the photo Skip - Sorry, I might not be looking in the right place... I recommend you remove the ground cables from both the chassis and coach batteries. There is a quick disconnect for the chassis battery just inboard of the gas pedal on the Sprinter, and I'll wait to see what your coach configuration looks like.

The wiring is the same as the Trik - l - Start you returned, all labeled on the face of the box.

There is a pin selection on the back of the unit; the Trik - L - Start did not have that. That is key to getting the Amp - L - Start to recognize the requirement for Lithium batteries. Out of the package it will be configured for your lead acid coach batteries. If you upgrade, you'll have to access the Amp - L - Start and re-pin the back to get the Lithium settings. That might be a consideration as to where you locate yours.

Mine continues to work great.

I'll look again for the photo,

Cheers,
Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
'21 View 24J

2021 View Battery Bay

Skip - Removing 1, 6, and 8 should isolate the coach batteries from the Charge Mate Pro, and the Sprinter battery quick disconnect by the gas pedal will take care of isolating the chassis battery.

Cheers,

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010729.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	175991  
Old 11-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up 2021 View Battery Bay

Don,

Thanks so much for your assistance. I hope our paths cross in the future and I can share a few brews. Need several more shake down trips to obtain a higher comfort level. Blessings and be safe.

Skip
Old 01-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Guys,
Great job on breaking down the installation. Don your pictures made the install in my 2020 View quick and painless.

The question is regarding long term storage. My storage site is covered, but not enclosed so the solar panels get some sun throughout the day. The rig has two battery disconnects at the step area.
I typically turn both these off for longer storage intervals. Does this shut off the Trik-L-Starts ability to power the chassis battery?
Should I keep one or both of these disconnect on?

Regards
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #17
'21 View 24J

Hi - Glad to hear the install went well.

Short answer - No, the Trik-L-Start will function with both disconnects off. Neither disconnect will disable the solar charging to the coach battery, nor affect the Trik-L-Start's ability to keep the chassis battery topped up. When in storage, if the solar panels are able to provide some charging to the coach batteries - the Trik-L-Start is good to go.

As an aside, the only way I know of to stop the panels from feeding the coach batteries is to go up and pull the solar plugs on the roof connector. Or, of course, to disconnect the leads on the batteries. I don't know of an "in coach" method to disable the solar. If anyone knows of another way, let me know. Thanks!

Also, an aside to my aside - The large rotary battery disconnect is actually an Xantrex Inverter / Converter disconnect. With this selected off, the Xantex is disabled and will not allow shore power to charge the coach batteries. I'm not sure why they don't label it as such...

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Don,
Thanks again for the details.
Stay safe,
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #19
Gpa
Winnebago Watcher

Ford size