Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2020 Navion 24V Entrance Step

Well folks, here we go again.

The Entrance Step on our 2020 24V Navion will not extend. Magnetic switch appears to work, and the Step light comes on when door is opened so power is available. Inside switch is in correct position. Engine is "OFF".

This is complicated by the fact the Kwikee website has little to no information on the "Revolution" step which this appears to be. Unable to find the Owners Manual for this step on Kwikee Website. And the Navion Owners Manual sez practically nothing and does not even reveal the Step model number.

ALSO: Is it possible to swap out this Revolution Series step for one of the others?? I.E., Are the Step Mount hole patterns the same for all the Kwikee models?? The wiring appears to be fairly consistent across the model lineup.

Any ideas out there in Winnebago land??

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi. I have gone through the same issues with my 2020 Navion.
I have found if you call kwickley directly and ask for technical support they are extremely helpful with literature and verbal assistance.
RickoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Be aware that the indicator light may not use the same electrical path as the power to the step! There are times when the indicator light comes on but the item doesn't get the power it needs to work.
Just a point to check toavoid being tricked!
I will admit that the step operation is far more complex than I first thought and I still do not feel I understand it as well as I would like!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

step not operating

I have a 2003 siteseer and my step would not come out. I thought I would have to replace motor but since step would not come out it is almost impossable to remove the motor. I took a hammer and hit the motor a couple of times and the step now works! Kind of like in the old days when a starter would not work because the brushes would get carbon on them and prevent a good connection. I have since oiled all moving parts,sprayed wd-40 on bolts that hold motor in place, written down part number for replacement knowing full well that it may happen again since it is 20 years old. Hope this will get your step out so you can then change the motor.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

2020 Navion Entrance Step

Thanks Morich and Rickjo,

I've been active on this issue and have received the correct Operator's Manual for this unit from Kwikee. I have also determined the problem appears to be in the motor assembly because (using a multimeter) I am getting the correct voltages and correct polarity at the motor connector from the controller as door is opened and closed. I.e., the polarity changes depending on "OPENING" and "CLOSING" the door. Curiously, none of the Kwikee literature includes a procedure for this test. Kwikee also emailed the motor replacement instructions. I just received a new motor and have yet to install it.

Howsomever,, I am frustrated Winnebago rarely includes ANY part information on this and other systems in our Navion Manuals such as the Inverter. Owners have to go to extraordinary lengths to dig out meaningful information or in some cases, disassemble the motorhome.
cthiggy
Old 11-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Part of the information problem is just in the way RV are built. Winnebago gets a stripped chassis from those folks and then over the year, they add the coach/RV parts to that chassis. And some of those parts change as they buy and use the stock they have.
So if the step folks change their design in July and you get an RV built in September, there is no way to predict whether you will have a step built old style or new!
Winnebago does one of the better jobs of getting lots of info together and giving us the big folder of info but not all things will be covered by those extra manuals, so we do have to search out exactly what WE have because it may be quite different than the guy next to us.

Think of all the options available on the last car you bought and look at the vast number of things an Rv adds to that? Kind of like buying a truck with a house built on top. If we buy a house and the water heater fails five years later, we look for info from the water heater folks, not the builder.

The old days of things like cars being the same are gone, so part of finding a good repair place for our RV is finding one that knows how to find the right info!

First step of DIY is knowing how to locate the answers for things we have never done before!

Are you aware of the info Winnebago posts online to help sort things like the parts? This parts catalog will often give the correct part of many of the things we need:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Note: It looks like the 2020 year group is down for changes , so you may need to check later?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi. Try calling Lippert/Kwikee support at 432-547-7378 & they will do a MUCH better job than searching which is what I did the first time also.
The Tech (July 2022) was very helpful and explained how easily it is to break the steps if you touch them AT ALL while they are moving. He told me that his dog (Lab) actually broke them when running out in the morning. Hence always LOCK them OFF or be VERY careful. Support can also can provide info. via email.

When replacing the motor and controller the motor is a little tricky putting in the plastic spacers and bolts. I tape the spacers to the motor so they don't fall out while aligning the gear and bolts. Also, make sure you are NOT under the steps when you plug the power connector back in and have the RV door closed so the steps don't come down/out on you! check out youtube.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

2020 Navion Entrance Step

Rickoj:

Good ideas, one and all.

I contacted Kwikee to get the Revolution Owners Manual and they also sent me the Step Motor Replacement Manual. Purchased a replacement motor and waiting for Tropical Storm Nicole to pass our location.

I might add a tiny drop of super glue to the spacers in order to prevent them from falling off. Unable to think of a disadvantage of this approach as I will have three extra/used spacers.

If you have done this before, did you have any problems aligning the motor gear with the step drive teeth?? Kinda worried about that.

cthiggy
Old 11-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Good morning,
Glad they helped!
I like the idea of the superglue! Just make sure the surfaces are clean of oil and grease for good bonding.

I bungee the steps in and then you can wiggle them a little bit to align the gear. Not bad. This is where keeping the spacers in place gets tricky.

Also you may want to pick up Kwik Lube or similar to lube all the moving joints. You can use it on steps, levelers, slide outs, garage door tracks and such. DO NOT use WD40 (sorry) as it attracts dirt and can create gooey problems. It will be easier to do while you are under there. Also do it often.

PS. We live in The Villages, Florida and Nicole is passing through right now. I can’t get our dog to stay out long enough to go poop. Even tried holding an umbrella, HA.