Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2019 Winnebago Revel 44E - New Owner Question

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2019 Revel 44E of which still has its original AGM house batteries. I am confused and trying to become better educated and aware of the state of my OEM AGM batteries in terms of the read-out from the One Place Coach management panel.

As show in the attached photo, the One Place panel reports that my house batteries have a state of charge (SOC) of 12.9 v BUT the bar chart indicator (to the right) shows me that the batteries are only about 50%. Is that correct, if so, what are the bars indicating? I would assume that when the house batteries are fully charged, the bars would read 100% vs. what has thus far never been greater than 50%, i.e. 5 to 5-1/2 bars.

When operating properly and with good batteries, will the Bars typically report 100%?

I have been hooked up to 30amp shore power for days and would by now have expected my batteries to be at a full SOC, i.e. 100%.

What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210611_164501.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	179523
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome,

Those voltage meters in the One Place can be totally misinterpreted.

If you see that 12.9 when you are plugged in to shore power you are not seeing your battery's voltage. You are seeing your charger's voltage. If you unplug your RV, and leave it for a few hours (some say one hour others say 6 hours... you decide) then hit that voltage button you'll see the true voltage of your batteries.

Here's a big clue. A fully charged battery will read 12.6-12.7 volts. So, that tells you that a voltage of 12.9 sure can't be the battery's voltage.

I'm going to guess that your battery might have been run down to almost nothing. By you or the previous owner. And the battery is either having a hard time recharging or might even be damaged.

If there is any chance the RV sat with the battery in a depleted state for a length of time then it could be ruined. Emphasis on the "could be."

You can either remove the battery and take it to O'Riley's or AutoZone, etc and have it load tested - or just drive the RV there and have it tested. They'll do it for free.

But if it's shot, don't buy your replacement there. You need a TRUE deep cycle storage battery and they will not have any available. They'll have "Marine/RV" Starting/Deep Cycle batteries but you do not want that.

Even with a good battery, the One Place meters is not an accurate way to test your battery - because of having to turn off all usage and charging and waiting for hours to get a true reading.

Many of us install a new Battery Monitor Kit (BMK) that is shunt based. It reads all power in and out of the battery and give you an instantaneous state of charge reading, usually in percentage.

There is a LOT to learn about storage batteries in RVs. LOTS!! So, you are just at the beginning.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Let me add a couple of points.

1. Your RVs converter will charge the battery when you are plugged in or running a generator. (some RVs have inverter/chargers, I could be wrong but I don't think the Revel does). When the batteries are low it usually charges at a rate between 13v and 14v. Then as the battery gets closer to full it drops that voltage down. The last phase of charging can take a number of hours.

2. When you unplug the RV you'd think you could check the voltage right then, but what happens is that extra charging voltage leaves a "surface charge" that takes time... hours, to totally dissipate. That's why the voltage battery meter is so problematic to use.

3. To keep your batteries healthy they should not be taken to more than a 50% state of discharge. Then quickly recharged. The more times you take them below 50% the more overall life you are taking from the battery.

Here's a Voltage/Percent Charged chart to help you get some info on all of this. You'll want to keep your battery voltage in the GREEN shown on the chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryCharge.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	179524  

Tags
winnebago