Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Vista Chassis front end electrical issue

I am having an intermittent issue with the front end accessories in my Vista 29VE. Sometimes the 12v outlets and overhead dome lights do not work or flicker on and off when driving down the road. I found the fuse for this and the fuse is good. The voltage going to the fuse is also good. The ground side of this seems ok but the 12v from the fuse to the devices seems to be where the issue is. I tried taking some of the dash apart and wiggled some of the wire to see if its a loose connection but no luck. I took it to the dealer and since it is an intermittent issue it worked fine for them and so they could not find it. As it is sitting in my driveway right now it not working so I was able to do a bit of testing my self. I can't very well chase the wiring without taking the dash all apart. I looked for the wiring diagram online but not finding it. Not sure of the next step. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or if anyone can point me in a direction to head next.
Thank You,
Jim
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Wiring diagrams may not be available for 12v wiring behind the dash. But general diagrams are available here:

https://winnebago.com/ > Owners > Owner Tools > Motorhome Knowledge Base > wiring diagrams

Here's a direct link, but I wanted you to know how to find your coach's info:

Wiring Diagrams
Old 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We do have a problem getting wiring diagrams for the part which come from the chassis builder. They keep their info much tighter than Winnebago, making it tough.
So my next step would be to find one single item, like one of the 12V outlets that is more easily seen and chase that wiring by hand as far as possible. While doing this, I might want something plugged into that outlet to let me know if it suddenly jumps back to life. Any chance a 12VDC light is on hand as something you would notice when you rattle the right wire?
I have an electrical gremlin in a 2014 Focus and it is playing hide and seek, so that two trips to Ford with them changing out parts under warranty and they still have not solved it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can run a wire jumper from the outer shell of a 12 volt accessory outlet to chassis metal and see if the overhead lights or other flaky items start to work. If so it's a ground issue. It looks like there is only one ground connection behind the dash here's the drawing . The ground is shown on page 1. It looks like a pain to get to. I think I'd try to get it fixed under warranty if that's the issue.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Already ran the jumper wire to test the ground and that was fine, so its on the + side. All of these devices work when the key is in the on or off position so I would not think that it would go through the key switch, but you never know. It would sure be nice to see a drawing. I am wondering if there is a service manual that might have detailed wiring drawings.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The last wiring diagram that Winnebago published for the Vista line can be found under year 2013 Vista. Pick a model that is similar to your current one. The drawing indicates power is fed from the 15 amp MISC-COACH breaker on the front breaker panel on a 14 gauge yellow wire marked EEE. It likely makes it's first stop on the back of the 12 volt outlet in the center console. The center console can be removed to get access to the back of that outlet.

Even though the drawing you can download is from 2013, most of it is still good, as most of the features of the Vista have not changed over the past 7 years.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
Already ran the jumper wire to test the ground and that was fine, so its on the + side. All of these devices work when the key is in the on or off position so I would not think that it would go through the key switch, but you never know. It would sure be nice to see a drawing. I am wondering if there is a service manual that might have detailed wiring drawings.
I have not found one for the 2015 Vista that I have of differences between the 2013 and the 2015. some of the difference is in the different lengths of each year but I can mostly work around those differences by sorting through but then as the model 2015 year went through two different changes on the electrical wiring, I begin to find it harder to sort and trace wiring with much confidence. Some of the changes are small things like putting an outlet where a switch used to be but when it comes down to tracing and finding a fault, those small changes can throw a real hicky in my planning!
On powering your outlets, I might question if the 2019 now has an inverter or a battery cutoff, neither of which my 2015 have. Does make your search tougher when we don't know if we need to look for a piece, let alone not knowing where to look! I suspect you will have USB charge ports and several things that my five year old one does not.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The models of Vista that had the "premium" features like Coach and Chassis Battery cutoff switches became Vista LX in 2016, and now have become Adventurer. Prior to 2016 there were some Vistas that had less features that sold at a lower price to meet dealer requests to have some lower price point Winnebago Class A motor homes that could be priced in the same range as the cheap Thor ACE motor homes.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Winnebago posts wiring diagrams for every motorhome they have made.

Here’s the link. Wiring Diagrams

If you have trouble finding yours, customer service will help.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post

Have you actually tried to use this info on the RV which are not posted?
If you can post up a reference to the wiring diagram for a 2015 Vista 31ke I will certainly be glad to retract my statement that they DO NOT post diagrams for many models. I am unable to find the 12Volt wiring diagram, only the installation diagram.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #11
Site Team

Richard, while there are tons of diagrams for the 2015 Vista 31KE (3-sets, in fact) I don't believe they post the actual 12v wiring diagram for any models. Just the 12v installation diagrams. I think Al thought they were the same thing. I know I did for quite a while and it was shown to me recently that the installation wiring diagram and the ACTUAL 12v wiring throughout the coach, especially behind the dash are two different things. I doubt such a diagram exists even at WBGO. You've seen the way wires are randomly placed throughout the coach. I doubt any two motorhomes are wired the same exact way.

In my tour of the factory, I saw that wiring looms were produced for similar groups of motorhomes and used in multiple models. The wires are strung during initial construction throughout the coach and picked up by workers as they go through their individual installation steps. Surely, no two workers pick up the wires and route them exactly the same as others.

Most RV manufacturers provide none of the wiring, plumbing, installation diagrams. So, it's definitely a plus the WBGO provides such valuable info. Many of the installation diagrams do indicate wire color coding so that it's easier to locate wires as you try to trace things in the coach.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Part of my effort to get familiar with my RV, has been to look at the problems other have with their RV. In doing that I do find a lot of the RV do have online actual wiring drawings of the sort I've always called schematics, and they do show the actual point to point path for the current flow. Having that drawing and combined with the install drawing one can do almost any repair by first looking at the install drawing for physical layout and then when something like a connector is found, the schematic will show the pin layout, color codes and such that one can trace. Great deal of the needed info to fix most any problem!
Quote:
Surely, no two workers pick up the wires and route them exactly the same as others.
Actually on the older drawings, there are specific lengths and clamping points spelled out for each wire as it is installed. Even the type of clamp to be used is on the drawing! Whether that is now true, I have not found as we don't get the same drawings.
But the hangup is that they do not post that for all model years and no longer plan to do it. Reports online that I've read about contacting Winnebago state that the company estimates a savings of $150,000 and they do not plan to do it any longer.
We are fortunate that Winnebago does a far better job of building the coach as well as giving some info to help on repairs but part of that benefit will not be true in the future and on newer units.
It's a common problem I've found on car repairs. Now that I have lots of time, I would like to "fiddle" with small repairs but they no longer give the detailed info that we need to fix even small items. So we just took the car back to Ford for the third time as they seem to be a bit confused as well! Nothing big, just that it won't crack now and then!
This is a wiring schematic:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1998/127140.pdf
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The actual complete low voltage wiring diagrams for all Winnebago Motorized models were discontinued online after the 2013 model year, the stated reason was cost reduction due to the 2012-2013 economic downturn.

You can still find the 120 volt diagrams online for models even after 2013.

As a retired electrical engineer, there must continue to be internal Winnebago wiring diagram documents for each make and model Winnebago motorized and TT. I don't really understand why they don't output them from their cad-cam system as .pdf files and post them online anymore. It's too bad.

I called Winnebago customer service and requested the 2015 Vista 27N Wiring Diagram like what was last published for the 2013 Vista 27N a while back. They said they would check and get back to me. A day or two later they let me know the low voltage wiring diagram is no longer a document that was available to customers.

I "assume" that dealer service and Winnebago factory service technicians can get ahold of it some how as it would really complicate complex troubleshooting not to have any wiring diagrams.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks Randy, I wasn't aware that they did have those available pre-2014. Seems I learn a lot of things... eventually.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Yes, it is a constant learning thing, isn't it?
I come from a long line of Ford service folks, both management and tech side and what I see in the Winnebago move seems to fit what Ford and other car model dealers do. They do lots of stuff to make it appear that they want to help us but when we get down to the real story it does make sense to them to protect their service folks as that is such a big money maker. Good service is great but money making service is far prefered from their point of view.
The end result is that we will be far less able to fix it ourselves and the service folks will get more and that is good from their view.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Funny but not so funny wrinkle to add to the story of taking things to the dealers versus DIY repair?
I mentioned my intermittent car starting problem and now have another chapter for that .
The problem is that I can't get drawings or even simple info on how my Focus starts and it doesn't crank at times, so I have to take it to the dealer.
First two trips, they changed TCM and other parts, kept it and went out to start it every thirty minutes (they said) to make sure the intermit problem was solved. I took it back yesterday and they deiced the battery was bad as the voltage was only 10.X .
Voltage test only, no specific gravity load test, etc. even though the battery is two months old as it was the first thing changed when this problem started!
Since it was not a warranty problem, but a battery, the diagnostics charge was $140 and the car would not start this morning!
Yes, we are heading into a real pickle when only the dealer can repair things.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post

Awesome, thank you. I have saved all of mine locally and will likely print them out and include them with my owner's manual kit.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Awesome, thank you. I have saved all of mine locally and will likely print them out and include them with my owner's manual kit.
I have also printed out the info that is available for my RV but it is also not what most techs would call wiring diagrams as they often only show installation info which gives where the wires are laid in but not which wire connects to which point.
The difference may seem mino until we try to do some repairs. When we know where the wire group goes, we can find that part and that connector, but we need the info on which wire is which pin on that connector to avoid a lot of guesswork. If you only know that the wire you are tracing is in a 16 pin connectors "somewhere" it gets down to pretty useless.
I guess the bottom line gets down to the definition of diagram and there is much more info on the older Winnebago than after 2013 or so.
Take a look at this one for older versus what you find on newer:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1998/127140.pdf
Much more of the needed details.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I've downloaded and saved every drawing Winnebago has posted for my 2015 Vista in electrical and plumbing "just in case" they ever remove them from their web site.

Be sure to download the Plumbing Callouts, Wire ID Guide, and Wiring Diagram Help documents for reference as well.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. No luck on fixing this yet but luckily this is not a showstopper just irritating that the outlets and dome light aren't working. I have found that somehow the wire path runs through the keyswitch and if I turn on and off the keyswitch or jiggle it I can hear a relay sometimes click on and sometimes the issue is gone. If you remember the issue was Sometimes the 12v outlets and overhead dome lights do not work or flicker on and off when driving down the road. So it seems to be related to the keyswitch or the relay that I hear clicking on and off. It seems strange that it is affected by the keyswitch since these lights and accessories always have power. My next plan is to remove the fuse box so that I can attempt to chase down the wire and see where it goes and find the relay that is clicking. But for now, I am putting this on hold, we have a couple of camping trips coming up so I hope that it does not get worse. I should be able to get back to it in August and will post if I find any solution.

Tags
chassis, electrical