Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2019 Minnie Winnie 31g and GoPower ic2000

Hi Folks!

I'm new to the rv community and just purchased my first RV. As mentioned in the title I'm looking to install the ic2000 where the converter sits. My question is if I purchase it and replace the converter with the ic2000 do I need a switch for when I want to use the generator?

My long term plan is to eventually upgrade the battery and then step up to adding solar. I'm also planing on getting the remote panel for the ic2000 and plan to purchase battleborn's in the future. I'm thinking that since the battery compartment is kinda small I'll have to relocate the batteries and that means i have some drilling in my future.

Now as a newbie I may be getting this whole thing wrong and if I am please correct me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dave

p.s. forgot to mention its a 2019 Minnie with none of the add-on's (like the 1k inverter)
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You might want to consider other options like placing just a smaller inverter in the same location that Winnebago's OEM solution uses.

Some comments as to why:

If you intend to run your microwave off the IC2000 you may have to upgrade your OEM batteries right away to be able to have batteries that can deliver the 150 amps DC that inverter will try to draw from the batteries while the microwave is running. That's one reason the smaller Winnebagos with only 2 coach batteries only have 1000 watt inverters, because for it to work right on a 2000 watt inverter, you really need 4 flooded lead acid or AGM coach batteries.

The IC2000 is designed for use with flooded Lead-acid or AGM batteries, it does not seem to have any way to configure it for use with LiFE04 batteries, this will prevent it from quickly and fully charging your future LiFE04 batteries.

The IC2000 could overheat in the OEM converter-charger location as it needs more ventilation than the OEM converter did, unless you modify the location to improve ventilation.

The IC2000 has more fans than the OEM converter did, and it may produce more noise, which may be a concern if the OEM location is inside the living area.

The IC2000 will need 2/0 gauge wires if run to batteries is less than 5 feet, 4/0 if between 5-10 feet. The OEM wires will only be 6 gauge and won't be usable. Normally a large inverter/converter like the IC2000 is located as close to the batteries as possible due to the large DC power draw.

If you just wire the IC2000 in-line with the shore cable to breaker box 120 volt feed, then you will have to manually manage AC power, making sure not to try to operate the AC when not on shore power. If you have an AC / Propane refrigerator you will have to manually switch the frige to propane mode or it will quickly deplete your 12 volt batteries.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you powercat! I appreciate the time and the write up. Can I bounce some more ideas off?

I wasn't planning to run most appliances when boondocking. The purpose was to run a few items in the bedroom area like a sound maker and a fan (we love white noise). I'm not looking to run the microwave or A/C as that would be an almost instant killer of the battery. As for the fridge I figure I'd have to leave it on propane mode.

If I change out the existing batteries to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Trojan-SCS150.../dp/B00NY0RGPK

Would that be sufficient (for now) based on limited amp usage? I know I could run an extension cord for a normal inverter but again figuring on doing this in stages I was looking to at least get one item started.

As for the vent, I'd have to move it (thanks for calling that out). Not looking to blow out the thing. I'd also have to upgrade to the better gauge like you pointed out. I gather that since I have most of that basement space available I could setup a spot closest to the batteries to keep the distance down.

I did find out according to gopower that there is a switch needed if there's no breaker for the generator.

Here's the manual (for anyone else looking into this device)

https://gpelectric.com/files/gpelect..._GP-IC2000.pdf

There's an installation diagram on page 15/52 which is what I was looking at.
So the question then is the switch placement for the ease of use. I guess I could run it over to the panel where most of the other panels are located.

Thanks so much for looking at this and the guidance!

P.S. I did find out that the lithium batteries can be used since there's a "custom" option where you can input the settings Battleborn recommends.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power