Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
Living The Dream

2018 View 24D rear camera issue.

Our 2018 View 24D rear camera quit displaying on the dash screen. System is a Riverpark Xite system (with the Rand McNally GPS). Has a proprietary rear camera. Anyway, simply stopped getting any display. Screen says “No Video Signal.”

Wondering if anyone else has this experience. Guess it could be the camera, the dash head unit, or even the wiring. Looking for any advice, thanks
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
Living The Dream

More rear camera problem details …

Seems the camera, which is a Riverpark Xite proprietary device, is the culprit. I’ve had the dash apart to ensure all connections at the rear of the Xite box are good.

Getting a replacement Riverpark camera is easy, but I’m finding actually changing it might be a major task. The camera is mounted on the upper middle vertical part of the back wall. It’s mounted just below the rooftop/rear wall cap (the piece with the three little clearance lights dead center up top). The camera comes with a three foot long wiring harness, not removable from the camera, that runs from behind the camera and into the rear wall. Winnebago drawings show it runs INTO the wall, then up internally perhaps six inches, then out of the back of the wall, which would be under the rooftop/rear wall cap and over to the passenger side. The harness then runs inside of that roof rail forward to the A-pillar of the cab and down to the Xite box in the dash.

The camera three foot long harness connects to the much longer piece that runs forward … not sure where! Has to be on the back of the rig somewhere, either stuffed into the back wall or somewhere under the rooftop/rear wall cap. Not sure if that top cap needs to be removed (hope not, it’s sealed with a large band of self-leveling caulk to the very back of the roof). Maybe that three foot camera lead is just rolled up and stuffed into the approximately one inch hole in the back of the exterior wall (which looks to have had gobs of black silicone caulk pumped in to seal things up.

Has anyone replaced such a camera on a View or Navion, circa 2018? Looking for advice and tips, please. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Just experienced the exact same problem on our 2019 Navion 24D. Don't have any advice, but I'd be really interested in hearing about how you resolve it.
Googmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googmeister View Post
Just experienced the exact same problem on our 2019 Navion 24D. Don't have any advice, but I'd be really interested in hearing about how you resolve it.
I’m still working on resolving my problem, will definitely provide an update when that makes sense.

Is your 2019 24D equipped with the Riverpark Xite Infotainment system, too? If so, I’ve discovered it needs its own brand of rear camera, which supplies the 12v power to the camera through the coax cable for the video feed back to the Xite box in the dash. That’s different! Has what’s called “Fakra” connectors. As a result, a so-called “regular” rear camera won’t work (sure would be a less expensive replacement!).
Old 06-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I have the same Riverpark Xite entertainment system. Not too thrilled with it. Best part about it was the rear camera. Is there a good way to tell if the problem is really with the camera as opposed to a loose or bad connection? Assuming the camera is no longer operational and can't be replaced with another brand of rear camera, might be a good time to just replace the whole system. Haven't found a suitable replacement, though.
Googmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #6
Living The Dream

Finally got the rear camera replaced, work was done by an RV dealership shop and was covered by an extended warranty, except for a small deductible.

Because of the camera wiring, the motorhome top rear cap (kind of a molding piece that has three small red clearance lights) had to removed, then reapplied and resealed. Odd place for a simple camera cable connection, but that’s how Winnebago did the build. Kind of more drama than I like for what is something I’d typically swap out myself. Oh well, back in business now

The five-year extended warranty expires in October, this summer was the first time we’ve used it. First the rooftop air conditioner/heat pump, then the control board that operates it … and then the rear camera. Bottom line, these repair costs were about 40% above what the extended warranty cost us. Hoping that is the end of any issues!

Tags
camera, view