Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 View V, Receptacle Outlets quit working.

Hello:

There are 4 Receptacles in the rear that run the TVs and two for anything. They were working fine and just quit. The inverter GCFI plug works as does the outlet in the cargo bay right next to it. TVs do not work nor do the two other outlets. The breaker is not tripped and the fuse is still good. I am plugged into shore power 30 AMP. When I test the outletsd for power it shows power on both the large and small plug holes. I know the power is supposed to show on the small side. The outlets powered by the sink GFCI works as does the bathroom. I had a small heater running from one of the outlets for at least a month with no problem not they don't work but have power on both sides without tripping the breaker.
gipper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What you are saying is that the outlets suddenly became wired wrong and now there is power on the neutral, so some questions about how the test is being done, may be needed.
How are you placing the meter to find power on both hot and neutral? Seems there may be confusion there somewhere unless there has been wiring work done. Ground should be found on both the round hole as well as the neutral side as they should both lead straight back to the grounding system.

More info?
This is the drawing list for your unit, however there are two groups for that model and year. Does your unit serial number end in "1" or "2"?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Actually I unplugged the TVs and now it shows power on both sides of the upper two holes where the tv was, all the other receptacles show hot on the small hole. I am just useing a non-contact voltage tester. The outlet has only a large electricle wire going into the back. The outlet is covered with a gray plastic cover, it doesn't look like a wire is coming out. The cover says to depress the tabs to remove the cover but it doesn't come off. That is the same outlet the heater was plugged into. The outlet does not look like a normal household outlet.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Serial Number ends in W2
Old 03-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, Not sure how the non-contact tool may be misleading us but no big thing to work around. Got something like a table lamp or even some charger that is handy to carry around and see if an outlet is working?
Let me do a little drawing on the diagram to cut down the clutter and get back to you .
Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help. I did test each outlet with a small lamp and nothing works on any of them. The outlet GFCI ion the inverter works just fine and the outlet in the storage bin next to it works.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It's a Fluke Non-Contact Voltage tester and there is current at each outlet. I really didn't test it with my multimeter which I will do right now.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Better prepped now!
This is the drawing which I've done some notes on and it can be easier to see as original but has lots of clutter and I thought to make it easier to follow.
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000030876.pdf
Looking a tpage 8 of this drawing shows you have power coming into the RV yellow to the load center 30 amp main breaker where it splits off to the smaller 15 amp for different uses and goes on to the outlets (blue line)
Is it the line without the inverter or the larger one below with the inverter which is not working?
First one is simple as it needs looking at only the 15 amp breaker and the GFCI buttons on the outlet. often worth a try to flip the breaker off and back on as they can be tripped and not look like it and same with the test button on the GFCI. Push the test button which should cut off power to it and the downstream outlets as a test of safety action. Then push the reset in to restore the power.
But if it is the line with the inverter, down below, we need to look at and discuss the inverter and any possible problems there. Maybe some breaker on it or other problem but which do we need to look at more?

On my computer, I need to click the picture to get it to come up larger to read!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017with notes.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	172981  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It is on Recp 2 the ones in the rear, not bank 1 which are in the kitchen. I tested the GFCI switch on the inverter and it works, plus my lamp worked when plugged into it. There is no GFCO plug that I can find with the non-working Recp. I think they are linked together somehow.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

By the way the AC and Microwave still work also.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Okay, this is where it seems we are. It is the set of outlets with the inverter and we can ignore the rest as they are working. So the best way is to go with a multimeter and see that we get power going into the inverter and then power coming out to go to the outlets. If there is a problem at the inverter, it will leave the outlets to the left on the drawing dead. TV, one each side of bed and one looks like for sat,. tv preparations for future, perhaps? Yes, you are correct that those outlets are all strung together. Perhaps easier to think of them as a garden hose with connections which tie them together, the power has to flow from the inverter to each one as the drawing shows the path. So we look for where the path is not working? Until we know otherwise, we can assume that the connections in the floor and under the blank faceplates are good, but the main point seems to be whether power is getting to and through the inverter. But that is where things get difficult for me, as different inverter companies do different things. See the triangle with note 5? That refers us to the drawings, so do you have those in a folder in the RV? Possibly in a section in the owners manual? Can you see the inverter well enough to see any breaker, fuse or switch on it, that might need to be reset?
Possible that the inverter has gone bad but they tend to be pretty good and first I would want to make sure it's not something simple like a switch, etc.
I know theory on inverters but have never actually worked on one of the type used in RV, so I'm pretty iffy on the details. Comes inna, goes outa and never needed to look at it!
Old 03-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Found the manual for your unit and see it mentions an inverter control panel as possible. Do you have one and is it turned on? That would be a place to look, perhaps.
Also this looks like it might be your inverter and has a fuse on the front right side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	172987  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The inverter remote faceplate is inside and it is always off because I have never used it. The outlet I hade the heater pugged into and the TV by the bed I think that is the last plug in the stream and that is where I think the problem is. It has a self contained plug that is slightly different than a standard household plug "it does not have a boxe" it just fits inside the wall with sme plastice hooks connected to the screws.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The RV outlets are often different as they are lighter and often need to be mounted in thinner walls but work the same and often have near the same wire attachments.
Looking over the inverter last night led me to more info on what you may have and it really looks like a quick way to see what the inverter is doing--if your model has the option.
In the owners manual, in the section on the inverter, it mentions a controls/monitor panel that appears to show the input and output power of the inverter. That would be a good place to read up on the inverter and monitor and see what they tell us.
Hard for me to read and relate that to what you have without being able to look at the hardware and see it match but that seems like a very good place to go for right now.
Equipment is often very good but it is not like what we are used to in the house and it does often make us miss something important.
Important things we have not talked about?
Are the batteries charged to give the 12VDC to the inverter to make the 110AC power for the outlets?
Is there a disconnect/breaker for the coach batteries that is off that would prevent the inverter from getting power?
If you have a monitor, I think it will give quick answers for these questions. Maybe a good hard read of the manual is all you need and it may just be simple confusion, rather than something failed!
Not uncommon and RV folks do it all the time! Not saying it is but it sure would be quick and cheap to fix!
Is the inverter turned on, both at the inverter itself but also at any other place like the monitor?
EDIT:
Link to manual if not on hand. Check page 6-3 for inverter info?
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...017/17View.pdf
Old 03-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I looked at the inverter monitor inside, when turned on the source light is green and there is 14 Volts coming in when connected to shore power.

When off-line no shore power or generator when turned on the light looks amber and shows 12.7 volts in. The Amps and Watts both show o on the panel wether on shore power or off-line. The inverter seems to be hardwired and there are two connectors "maybe a fuse inside each one" I will check and see later. one hooking to the outlet in the storage bay and the other going somewhere else maybe to the outlets that are not working. The inverter has a GFCI outlet on it that is working, so it powers up without tripping the outlet or the breaker. There are not error codes displayed on the panel. The TVs work just fine if I plug them into one of the working outlets with an extension cord and the small space heater has been working for going on a week since the plugs quit working.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Okay, getting some progress, even if slow. If the monitor shows okay except no reading on amps and watts, it sounds like the inverter is working okay. The watts is what we might think of as how many gallons if we were speaking of water. So you are not using any power going through the inverter but if you plugged the heater directly into the GFCI outlet on the inverter, I would expect the monitor to show 750 or maybe 1500 watts, depending on the size and type of heater. Little portable heater with two speeds for heating? Guessing at the light colors but I might say that the green when using shore power would mean all okay but the amber means that your inverter is getting power from your batteries and warning you that is going to go dry if used for too long.
The GFCI acts maybe a little like a fuse or breaker but it cuts off power when there is something wrong that lets power go to the ground. Fuses and breakers cut it off if too much power is going through. But the idea is that they both act as safety items. GFCI are used around places like water or outside where we might contact a hot wire and power flows through us to the ground. It cuts off power so quick that we are often not killed! Good things to have.
But if you can plug something into the GFCI on the inverter and it works, that tells us the inverter is good as the GFCI is the last point before it goes to wires going on to the other outlets.
One item to check really close if not used to looking at them is the GFCI right on the inverter. There should be a test button and when it is pressed, it cuts off power to all the downstream outlets but then there is a rest button and they can be a little funky to get pushed in far enough and stay. I am used to hearing a click when I push the test button --if I did get the rest button pushed right the last time I tested it.
Some things that "might " be a problem:
1. the reset is not "latching quite right and needs pushed more firm so it stays reset.
2. There might be a problem in the wiring or outlets downstream and they are keeping the GFCI from resetting
3. The GFCI might be defective and just won't stay reset. Too weak? Kind of new and I would not expect it to be worn out but we never know.
4. But if it is not a problem right at the GFCI, the next best guess is that there is a loose wire between that point and the next outlet. Kind of like knowing you are putting water in one end of the hose but not coming out at the next end? Got to be a break in the line.
But I really would want to know the GFCI is all okay before plowing into locating and looking at wires and connections as those are often pretty solid.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The GFCI outlet does work, I will actually test it with the heater and make sure. The outlet in the storage compartment also works. I talked to the dealer who sold me the unit because I was going to buy a receptacle. They think it is one of the 4 receptacles on that circuit and not the inverter, I am going to have them look at it. I had the heater that can draw 12.5 Amps and a trickle charger for my chassis battery that usually draws 1 Amp, there was a wind storm so maybe there was a spike somewhere that burnt out one of the outlets without tripping the breaker. I had a surge protector with a readout that shows voltage, amps and erroe code nothing strange there.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

If the outlet with the GFCI on the inverter face is working, the problem is close by on that string but whether it is a wire that has come loose or something else will still take some looking. On the Winnebagos I've looked at, they use a better style of connector that crimps on so that it doesn't rattle loose and come off but things do still go wrong. Just life!
Good luck to you and happy travels.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem in my 2018 view j. After a year and a half my outlets stopped working. I thought it was the inverter but it tested good. I replaced the gfi, but would get odd readings when I tested the outlets. I took it to my dealership. They spent several hours trying to figure it out. Finally they went to the junction boxes (2 or 3 of them) and found out that winnebago put too small of a box and the power was jumping across the wires and short circuiting everything. They added another junction box along side the existing and rewired. My tec. guy said that the electrical engineers screwed up and that it is a wonder other owners have not experienced the same problem. You maybe experiencing that problem. We have a problem with the jell coat on the cab over. One day it just spider cracked all over. The winnebago manager for the northwest came over to view it and I told him about the junction boxes. Doubt that anything will happen. We are still going on about the jell coat and whether they will fix it.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I looked at my Itasca outlet once. What I saw inside scared me. Not normal!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JZPu3WPoFivL4Avo9