Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2017 Navion Solar Install

Ok here I go again. I had to copy the pictures from our server over to my phone for posting. (We are camping) There has been much talk about flexable and rigid panels. We install solar for select clients and employees and I chose rigid for my needs. 320 watts using two panels. The 2017 was prewired and that helped immensely. Winnebago support would not tell me where to drill the roof penetration. I get it everyone's capabilities are different. There are a bunch of wires in that area!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	169721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6718.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	169722  

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	169723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6698.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	169724  

Name:	IMG_6692.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	169725  
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well done.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos outside of your password protected gallery. It's very helpful.

Looks good, my only comment, and you really had little choice, is how much of the day the AC / TV Ant / Sat Dish will be casting shadows on your panels. I have 300 watts on my 2017 Adventurer and it does well keeping the batteries charged. When I pick it up from storage they are always fully charged.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Clean looking installation, Mike. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to solar stuff... but can you tilt those panels at all or are they fixed in place?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

Looks good but it appears from picture number three that the controller doesn't have adequate ventilation. You being a pro I'll bet it does! Best addition to my RV I ever made was solar.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos outside of your password protected gallery. It's very helpful.

Looks good, my only comment, and you really had little choice, is how much of the day the AC / TV Ant / Sat Dish will be casting shadows on your panels. I have 300 watts on my 2017 Adventurer and it does well keeping the batteries charged. When I pick it up from storage they are always fully charged.
Thank you for the kind words. First trip curently and the batts are fully charged is just a couple of hours. I did shut off the converter to test it a bit. Not a real world test as the only thing drawing is the lights and sat dome. That was my goal as far as battery rediness along with boondogging it. I could invest in a proper multi-stage charger and leave it plugged in or invest in solar that would provide dual purpose. At least that's how I sold it to the commadore.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Clean looking installation, Mike. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to solar stuff... but can you tilt those panels at all or are they fixed in place?
They are fixed currently as I really don't want to be climbing on the roof to adjust them. The current inverter really doesn't pick up a ton. So if I got serious about off grid I would need to upsize the inverter etc...

Testing on our first trip and pleased so far but the sun angle curently here is easy to charge.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
Ok here I go again. I had to copy the pictures from our server over to my phone for posting. (We are camping) There has been much talk about flexable and rigid panels. We install solar for select clients and employees and I chose rigid for my needs. 320 watts using two panels. The 2017 was prewired and that helped immensely. Winnebago support would not tell me where to drill the roof penetration. I get it everyone's capabilities are different. There are a bunch of wires in that area!
How did you locate the prewire under the roof?
Old 06-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

They were in the overhead cabinet and not actually in the roof. The prewire also ran down to the water and electric shore connection area for a ground panel. I left the wires and made sure they were insulated against shortting out for future possibilities.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
They are fixed currently as I really don't want to be climbing on the roof to adjust them. The current inverter really doesn't pick up a ton. So if I got serious about off grid I would need to upsize the inverter etc...

Testing on our first trip and pleased so far but the sun angle curently here is easy to charge.
Good point about not wanting to climb. I hadn't considered that.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

I’m in the add an extra panel group, not climb up and tilt the panels group.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Winnie Minnie TT Solar Install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Looks good but it appears from picture number three that the controller doesn't have adequate ventilation. You being a pro I'll bet it does! Best addition to my RV I ever made was solar.

Hi Larry...
I see you too have a Winnie Minnie TT... with solar installed...

Would you be kind enough to share a posting linkage of your installation?
OR
could you please share what equipment & how you installed on your Winnie Minnie TT?

Prepping our 2014 180FB for 3 year trip west with boondocking ... X backpacker that enjoys the outside with solitude too...
bobbyd1655 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar