Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Era 70A - Electrical Outlets not working

Hello. I'm a new owner and purchased a used unit from a camping store that has never had an Era on the lot before so they did not have much working knowledge of it.

It has a LP Generator, no solar.

The 120v outlets in the kitchen area do not work when the Generator is running. I have read the manual and it seems like it should be powering them.
I have checked the GFCI switch.

My questions are:

1: Is the Generator supposed to power these outlets or are they powered from shore power only?

2: If they are powered by the LP Generator, why aren't they working?

Thanks!
Holly7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Maybe start to work the problems a bit at a time to keep from overloading the brain?
Lots of new things to learn, so is the owners manual available?
If not, look here for tons of info including the manual which is always a good place to start---even if it does leave out some details:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools/service

But for general, I would expect anything that operates on shore power to also operate on the generator. GFCI will operate the same on both, so if there is power on shore power, skip looking at the GFCI.
Next question sounds like a loose connection----possibly. Not sure I buy that idea without further checking as it seems a bit of odd wiring if it is working on shore but not generator that only certain items are bothered.
Looking at drawings, I find different wiring for different serial numbers. Does your number end in "W1 " or "W2" to cut the chase and guessing?
Need to verify that all the other AC items (roof air, microwave, and frig are working but not eh outlet and only on generator? Sounds hard to do but easy to understand if it is only the outlets not working due to tripped breaker in the power center, etc.
Link to drawing for the W2 model, which may /may not be exactly as yours has.
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000027481.pdf
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi. I'm confused, you asked me if the manual is available, but I stated in the OP that I've already read it and it seems it should be powering the outlets.
Were you pointing me to elsewhere on the website?

Info from Manual:

The 120-volt system operates from the shoreline cord connected to an outside 120-volt utility service, such as those at campgrounds or from the 120-volt generator. When the shoreline cord is connected to an outside power source, or when the auxiliary electric generator is running,*the power converter automatically changes a portion of the 120-volt current to 12-volt DC current. All equipment in the motorhome that is normally powered by the house batteries is then powered through the converter. In addition, the following equipment is entirely dependent on 120-volt current: air conditioner, refrigerator, microwave oven, and any 120-volt electrical equipment used at convenience outlets.*
Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Mine is W2. The one you linked looks correct.

The Fridge, AC, all else works fine, except the 4 electrical outlets.

When the LP Generator is running, none of the 4 outlets work.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

No, sorry! Just my poor reading and thinking!
Still some confusion on what is happening, that we need to discuss.
Looking at this drawing:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000027481.pdf
Go down to page three and I see at the left, the genset and AC input from the cord. They go through some type of system to pick which is doing the feed to the rest of the RV. Am I understanding right that the outlets are the only thing not working while on generator? Or do they not work while on shore or gen? If not working at all times, the power should be going from either genset pr shore, to the right to a 30 amp breaker which then feeds the rest of the breakers to the right. Third one further right is a 15 amp marked blu on the drawing and it feeds all the outlets. If this is tripped all power to outlets is gone but everything else works.
But if everything works on genset BUT the outlets, I'm not sure how to look at that since all power leaving the transfer switch is the same path, whether on shore or genset.
Little checking maybe or tell me I'm still confused! Looks like page two shows load center/ ATS ( auto transfer switch) is down near floor to right of sink?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Right. The only thing that doesn't function properly while the generator is running is the outlets.

The load is on the floor to the right of the sink, yes. I have checked that and all is well, nothing is tripped.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

WOW! Now I'm boggled!
Looks like if power is getting to the other like AC, microwave, etc. and outlets on shore power, it would also have to get to them all on generator.
At this point, I would have to go back and double check my findings, even clicking the breaker for the outlets off and on again as they can sometimes appear to be good when not fully thrown.
I know that sounds hard headed but I'm missing something somewhere.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Try sending an email to
[email protected]
and describe your problem.
Include your vehicle VIN and WGO Serial # if you know it.
Might take a day or two to respond, but they can tell you if it's normal or a problem, and what to do in either case.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I might throw in another thought to check on the testing method. Is it possible you have a lamp or other item testing the outlets and it has failed at the right time to make you think it is the supply?
I have gone through some real weird, time consuming deals where the light bulb burned out while testing a string of outlets and it really gave me a chase to find what was wrong with the rest of the outlets!
Hoping it could be so simple?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

IF only it could be that simple and bizarre! I was using an Iphone and I tested the charger inside my house several times as I have been doing this process of elimination and discovery for about 37 days now.
I have reset the breaker on the generator itself.
Tmrw I am taking it into a repair center and perhaps I'll learn something about the situation.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

According to page 6-4 in OM, the auto-transfer switch between shore and generator takes 30 seconds to engage. Are you waiting 30 seconds before trying the outlets? Sorry, know it seems unlikely, but had to ask.
Again, suggest you try asking Owners Relations (previous response) email before spending money on repair shops that may get you no further ahead. After 37, what's another day or two?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #12
CO Sunova Owner

Do you have an inverter? See if there is a GFCI reset button on the inverter GFCI. It’s located right on the inverter. My inverter has one and it will stop 120 volts to the outlets.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Same issue

Do you have an update on this? My Minnie Drop is doing the same thing. I though it may have something to do with the Generator not being grounded, but I am only a shade tree electrician at best.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Solved

Issue resolved.

Like most electrical outlets in your home, there is a reset button on the outlets in the RV.

These are special and instead of an instant push, you have to hold the reset button for 3-5 seconds before it actually resets.

Everything works now!
Old 11-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Smile Worth following

I read the notes hoping to learn - and by golly - I did. Thanks the final answer.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical