Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Sunova with Winegard Roadtrip Mission only finds dish 119

First time set up factory installed roof satellite dome. Have dish network so I set the dip switches for dish and hooked up vip 211k receiver following set up instructions-it goes through it all but doesn't install the switch needed for 110 and 129, I get 119 only which is okay but not all I should get. To test the receiver I hooked to a Winegaurd Carryout antenna and got all three satellites. I put the carryout on roof next to mounted dome to be sure of the same location for signals. Reconfigured back to roof mount and called dish and all afternoon went thru resets and tests with same result- 119 only and no switch installed. Help appreciated! BMcD
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Site Team

When I had a Vip 211 I had similar issues occasionally depending on where I was parked.

The Carryout has a bigger dish I believe so that might be why it works.

Have you moved the RV and tried it in different locations?

Also are you near another state? Some times when in far Southern Colorado I had to use New Mexico for the state on set up. Same near state lines in other states.

I purchased an iPhone app the used the phone's camera to show you where the SATs were and you could see obstructions.

One last thing, is your RV level? That can make a difference, too.

PS. I'm not positive but I don't remember setup showing any switch. But it's been about a year since we gave up Dish Network and went solely to Streaming.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yeah unfortunately I spent the weekend chasing this and missed a bunch of football games. Moved motorhome, leveled it, reset dip switches, emailed winegard and tested it over and over with dish network. Have a call in with winegard this morning but today it's raining so may have to wait for clear skies. Streaming sounds promising - thanks for response - We love your coach! This is our first class a, we had a 2004 minnie winnie before that we loved but we wore it out. Do you tow? If so, how big of a drop receiver do you use-we tow a jeep tj and I measure about 8" to level which I feel is too much.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, we tow the Lincoln MKX in my signature. I use a 6" drop and my tow bars are still far too high. Every time I hook up I think this can't be right. But I don't want to use a bigger drop. In my case 8" wouldn't be enough for level towing. It would take 12" to get close to level.

We had Dish network at home for 20 years. We had a Winegard Carryout for years with out Travel Trailer. Then when we got a Class C I installed a small Playmaker style dish on the front roof. We used the 211 VIP for a long time, then got a Wally receiver.

In early 2017 we decided to "cut the cord" get rid of Dish and stream at home. So, in July when we bought our new Adventurer we decided against installing a SAT Dish on the coach. We've been on 5 or 6 short trips and one month long trip and had no problems streaming. We have two Mifi broadband devices with "unlimited" data and both Weboost Cell boosters and Wifi Ranger boosters as well (not that they help all that much).

Using streaming with Roku devices and DirecTV Now, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, PBS, and CBS NOW apps we're pretty covered for the shows and channels that we watch. There are some adjustments - not watch a new show the day it airs, but watching it the day after, etc. And DirecTV Now doesn't have a DVR yet - but one is in Beta testing now.

We paid Dish $204 a month. Year after year after year. Plus we had Netflix, Amazon and Hulu even when we had dish. Now we pay $40 a month (DirecTV Now has a $25 permanent discount for ATT Unlimited customers.) and really have more TV choices.

When on the Road we do watch less TV than we do at home. We travel with some of our favorite TV series on Blu-Ray disc for the few times we're somewhere without service. And, really we watch less TV - both at home and on the road.

Streaming's not perfect, or for everyone, but it works for us now and really is only getting better every year.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Good to know about hitch, Iv'e heard that ya can be off a few inches. I wonder why they mount them so high-I'm sure they could fab the bracket mounts lower, still be strong and not drag on driveways. I found the problem today with the help of winegard tech support. The factory reversed the wires from the bedroom tv and the living room tv. The main port on the antenna dish is the one that supports the switch that toggles between the satellites while the second one only can see what the main port is watching. I hooked up to bedroom port and ran test and got the switch installed and all three satellites-yay! Just have to go on roof when the wind stops and reverse the coax cables-don't know if winnebago installs these or if they farm them out to someone else but this is the second misswire on the system. I guess it helps me in a way to get to know my coach. Thanks again-BMcD
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone having Trouble with these new Winegard Antennas where the power is provided through the Coax? I purchased a new Winegard Caryout 2+ and it would not carry the power - wouldn't even power up. Had to send it back. I then hooked up a friend's Carryout Classic and it worked fine with the Power Cord. Any ideas? Thanx.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Run a cable directly from the receiver to the dish. If you are trying to use the built-in cable/sat connections there are splitters and connectors that interfere with the power.
I’ve not had one of these but have read others commenting on this issue.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate your response - I really do - but do you know what my wife will say - 'tacky tacky tacky' - and I agree - we all spend a lot of money for our coaches and the last thing I want to see is a cable hanging out the window because either the Coach manufacturer or the Satellite Manufacturer did not foresee this problem and fix it - kinda like a refrigerator being parked in t he front yard.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Site Team

It’s the sat Dish manufacturer that’s at fault here. In their attempt to do away with a power cord they came up with a solution that has built in limitations for use in the real world.

You probably have a rooftop location that will work. WBGO puts a sticker on the roof where you’ll find the connections you need. But you’ll need to mount the Dish and live with those limitations, too.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yessir, that's exactly what I'm thinking. There is a label and now, it's just which one - looking hard at the Traveler - and they do make a cover should I change my mind.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

What type of receiver? Did you have power inserter hooked up between receiver and carryout and set dip switches to either dish or direct tv?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardroad View Post
Has anyone having Trouble with these new Winegard Antennas where the power is provided through the Coax? I purchased a new Winegard Caryout 2+ and it would not carry the power - wouldn't even power up. Had to send it back. I then hooked up a friend's Carryout Classic and it worked fine with the Power Cord. Any ideas? Thanx.
I tried to PM you but don't know if it worked. The G2+ requires an 12vdc inserter that is connected between the receiver and the G2+ with coax cable. This is how the g2+ gets its power thru the coax eliminating the power cord used with the Carryout Classic your friend has.

Tags
dish