Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2015 Itasca Viva 23L Generator

I purchased a 2015 Itasca Viva last month, and really do not plan to use it until spring. I went out to run the Gen. for a time, and the generator started up no problem, but I could not run the AC or microwave. Is their an inline breaker or switch that needs to be reset? I could not find much about that in the factory books, they mentioned a breaker but did not give the location. And I am a first time RV owner, so it could definitely be something that I'm missing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Lucysdad
lucysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There may not be an auto-transfer switch on your unit. There isn't on my Navion. It's manual switching between shore and generator.
You'll have to look inside the electrical bay (where your shore power cable is, plus any other connections, maybe?) and see. If there's a female 30A outlet located in there, you'll have to plug the 30A male shore cable into it to use the generator.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Also, you have a house battery disconnect that you set to off for storing the RV. Did you remember to turn it on when you exercised the generator?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank You. I did remember to use the disconnect switch.
lucysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Some good suggestions made so far. There is a breaker on most gensets and it is located right on the gen itself. Possible it is turned off if somebody changed oil and might have left it off. But then with used RV that a number of folks may have looked at, can also have a number of things flipped to the wrong place for normal use. One that I do is flip off all the breakers that are right next to my batteries as I don't want the onboard converter boiling the batteries dry. I prefer to keep them charged in other ways. So a look at the breakers feeding things like the microwave may be turned off. It can be planned or just folks flipping switches while shopping!
The power cord not plugged in might be the first place to look! This might also be a good time to invest a few bucks in one of the handy tools you are likely to need at some other point. A meter to read both DC and AC voltage is one way to really cut the chase a whole bunch and they are often needed when dealing with RV. Under $20 can save hours of confusion and avoid lots of guessing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, itasca