Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Winnebago electrical issue

I have a Winnebago 2013 tour. Just got back from dealer drove 1000miles electric was work great for 2 nights then went to dry clothes worked fine for a hour or 2. then breakers poped and noticed that L2 was at 5 volts? Need help ? I tried shut down everything on coach then restarted 5 volts. also tried unplugging from shore power 50amp service to 30 amp same problem. ANY IDEAS ?
snoking2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

2013 winnebago eletrical issue

If you get correct power with the generator running it could be a loose wire in the transfer switch. If you don't it could be a loose wire at a breaker. May be a bad transfer switch.

I had to replace my transfer switch for lack of power to the larger 110 items. Not that pricey and not too difficult.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree with Jesse. Before you go into the transfer switch box shut the breakers of at the generator and make certain you are not in Auto Start. Then make certain tat all of the wires are inserted correctly in the terminals and that they are tight. Also, note if one of the generator breakers is tripped. In any case check the tightness of ALL of your power terminals. Be careful in the service panel. Always check things out with a volt meter first. Using insulated tools is ok if done safely.

About the 5v reading? I think it is just EMF radiation is is not a true 5 volts.

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well i got my eletric line 2 working again! I started generator it must have reset the transfer switch or something! Do you still think i need to check anything else ?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It may have been a glitch, I would try it for a while and see if it works okay. Be sure to turn off the AC's before unplugging from the shore power. Jesse
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks jesse this site is awesome !
Old 10-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
It may have been a glitch, I would try it for a while and see if it works okay. Be sure to turn off the AC's before unplugging from the shore power. Jesse
Sorry, Jesse, I'm not with you on this one. I have lots of experience with transfer switches. A loose wire is the most common failure which leads to more expensive problems if not addressed in a timely fashion. My advise is to check every connection for tightness. It is only a bit of time used. I think it is one of those routines that we should all do ever few years. It is amazing how often I find the neutral loose. RV or stick & brick, this is a common (no pun intended) source of trouble. Be it the service panel or a outlet, it is very common to find a loosy. And an intermittent connection can cause a fire.

Rick Y
Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Can't hurt to check. Good thinking Rick.
Jesse
Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yes as everyone else has said, a loose connection can cause lots of damage and a possible fire.
Make sure you shut everything down and open circuit the batteries before you start working in the Transfer Switch Box. Also while you are in there make sure that your shore power cord has at least 2 anchors on it prior to entering the Transfer Switch Box. This is very important because you are always coining and un-coiling it which means that it is pulling on the ends leading into the Transfer Switch which cause loose wire to possibly short out and cause a fire.
Just talking from experience here.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 2013 Journey had loose wires on the transfer switch. Did I understand breakers started going bad after you ran the dryer? Our dryer failed after 10 min of use. It popped the breaker and I had to unplug the dryer until I got it fixed. They said it was a short in the dryer cord.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

While running all 3 air conditioners, I got a smell of burning wires coming from the basement. I trace the smell to the transfer switch and felt near the box and I could feel a lot of heat. I shut everything down, opened the transfer cover and found a loose wire that had started melting. I cut the burnt end off, and put back in and tightened. 2 other wires were loose also. No problem since.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

QC again. This should NEVER happen on units so new. Glad you folks found your problem before it became a real problem. My advise is that we all check our connections in the xfer sw. I know I am going to before I hit the road in a couple of weeks. I have a few more years on my unit so I think it is just a good idea. Shaking can lead to baking.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Learn From My Mistake

Take it from someone who has to pay for the repairs, stop what you are doing!

Disconnect from shore power, and make sure the generator is not running, then check the terminals where your shore power plug comes into your transfer switch. Make doubly sure these are tight. Do the same for the wires going out of your transfer switch.

Failure to do so could be catastrophic for you and your Coach.

What I once thought was a power surge, turned out to be my stupidity. As can be seen here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/elec...ms-197210.html
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
Take it from someone who has to pay for the repairs, stop what you are doing!

Disconnect from shore power, and make sure the generator is not running, then check the terminals where your shore power plug comes into your transfer switch. Make doubly sure these are tight. Do the same for the wires going out of your transfer switch.

Failure to do so could be catastrophic for you and your Coach.

What I once thought was a power surge, turned out to be my stupidity. As can be seen here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/elec...ms-197210.html
Your pictures are great. Good example. But, in this case, how would a surge protector help? They are designed to protect the coach from the pillar inward. It seems your failure was after the line input.

I discovered a problem on my last coach just doing maintenance. The neutral was loosening and had become brown and brittle at the xfer sw connection on the shore cord.

Loose connections in house and bad pillar outlets are a major source of electrical problems. I think this thread should be a "MUST" read for all RVers. Too bad it won't be. KoolBell, your experience is a 'poster child' for what could happen. Thanks for sharing.

Rick Y
Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

OK, guys. Great advice. Now - tell me where this transfer switch is on my 2012 Ellipse? Should be same as Tour. I hear it click when I plug in, but have never seen it!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

It's at the end of your Powe cord in the coach.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
OK, guys. Great advice. Now - tell me where this transfer switch is on my 2012 Ellipse? Should be same as Tour. I hear it click when I plug in, but have never seen it!
Do you have the power real option? If so, look for the big black cord coming out of the storage tub and follow it to a silver box. There are three cables coming out of it. This is the transfer switch.

CATION WILL ROBERTSON! The generator circuit breaker should be off and the shore cord disconnected (or breaker off) before opening the transfer switch box and working on it. This is the safest way.

I have found that in some cases the Allen head screws holding the wires in place will feel tight but not be securing the wire. Backing the screw out a little to get it loose and then 'feeling' it as you turn it tight works most of the time. You can also get some electrical anti-seize or no-ox grease from the electrical dept of your favorite home improvement store. Use very sparingly on the wire and screw.

Any wires that are blackened or the insulation is brittle must be corrected by cutting the bad area off and reconnecting the fresh wire. This sounds simple but is not always that easy. These wires are big, stiff and well secured to the transfer switch and side wall. The outer jacket is tough and caution must be used not to damage the insulation of the wires when freeing them from the outer covering.

I am just waking up. I hope I am making sense to you. Keep on asking. You will keep on getting answers. I hope we are all helpful.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Lost shore power during night. Getting generator power. Any remedies? Who makes TS? Going to Winnebago rally 21 - 25 July. Perhaps supplier will be there.

Dave Teal
daveteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveteal View Post
Lost shore power during night. Getting generator power. Any remedies? Who makes TS? Going to Winnebago rally 21 - 25 July. Perhaps supplier will be there.

Dave Teal
Hi Dave. If no one said welcome to the forum, may I now do so. WELCOME!

Please give us a little more info. Is the pedestal dead or is the failure in the coach? What year and model is your rig?

FYI: If you look under the irv2 title box at the top of the page you will see a white box below it. At the bottom left of this box is User CP. Click on it and go to your users page. Post a signature, as I have, that lets us know a bit more about your equipment, and you if you choose.

Rick Y

Tags
winnebago, electrical