Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2010 Adventurer Converter / Battery Charger?

I can officially post to this forum now as a new-to-me 2010 Adventurer 35Z owner. We sold our 5th wheel and purchased the Adventurer with bunk beds for the kids. We are planning a one-year + family road trip.

I have a lot to read and learn about, but one area I need to find more info on is the battery charger. The previous owner replaced the two 12V coach batteries each year. I looked at the electrical diagram and it looks like the 600 watt inverter only does inverting and not battery charging. It looks like a separate 55A converter is used for charging.

Is this correct? Further, is this a single-stage charger? If so, any suggestions on changing it out for a 3-stage charger? Or, changing the inverter to a 2000W unit that does charging also?

Thanks all!
RMChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What brand/model is your converter?

As far as the inverter size, according to your wiring diagram, which outlet(s) do/does the inverter power? At 600 watts I suspect it's only physically wired to no more than 1 or 2 outlets - thus upgrading to a 2000 watt unit would be somewhat frivolous if you couldnt use the increased capability unless you re-wired things and added more outlets to it for appliances to utilize.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

converter Model

According to the Winnebago user manual, the converter is a Parallax/MagneTck 74555 -- http://www.parallaxpower.com/7400/51...%20rev%20H.pdf. The converter owner manual has no mention of being a multi-stage charger.

I would think I could replace this converter with a multi-stage converter/charger, such as the PowerMax.

Please let me know if you have done something like this. And
Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMChad View Post
According to the Winnebago user manual, the converter is a Parallax/MagneTck 74555 -- http://www.parallaxpower.com/7400/51...%20rev%20H.pdf. The converter owner manual has no mention of being a multi-stage charger.

I would think I could replace this converter with a multi-stage converter/charger, such as the PowerMax.

Please let me know if you have done something like this. And
Google "Parallax/MagneTek 74555"

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I have googled for info on the converter. What I want to know is if there are any issues I should be aware of with changing the converter for a multi-stage charger.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my Parallax converter that was always cooking the batteries, with an IOTA multi-stage converter/charger. Bought from pplmotorhomes parts dept.

Just be sure to get the appropriate output amperage model. A simple swap out to do. Mine was mounted under the drawers below the range.

While I was at it I also added some mineral oil to each of the battery cells.

Several years later now and I've had very good results and battery life. Little or no water needed since.

Safe travels
Jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I replaced my Parallax converter that was always cooking the batteries, with an IOTA multi-stage converter/charger. Bought from pplmotorhomes parts dept.

Just be sure to get the appropriate output amperage model. A simple swap out to do. Mine was mounted under the drawers below the range.

Several years later now and I've had very good results and battery life. Little or no water needed since.

Safe travels
Jack
Thanks Jack -- very helpful. I will also look into adding mineral oil. I have seen this discussed on some of the forums.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you are going to be full time in the motor home, the 2000 watt inverter would be a good thing to install. You wouldn't have to get the inverter and charger in the same unit, but they are nice units. It would be easiest to add a 2000 watt inverter and swap out the converter charger. The inverter will need 2/0 battery cables and they should be kept to a maximum of four feet from inverter to battery. You could leave the existing inverter as is and use the new inverter for the rest of the circuits.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
If you are going to be full time in the motor home, the 2000 watt inverter would be a good thing to install. You wouldn't have to get the inverter and charger in the same unit, but they are nice units. It would be easiest to add a 2000 watt inverter and swap out the converter charger. The inverter will need 2/0 battery cables and they should be kept to a maximum of four feet from inverter to battery. You could leave the existing inverter as is and use the new inverter for the rest of the circuits.
Hi John - I have been thinking about that option also. I did exactly the upgrade you described to our 5th wheel trailer, but I'm not sure I will need it in the motorhome. Our primary power draw is the microwave oven (can run the generator for that) and laptop computers, which can plug directly into 12V outlets.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Converter/Charger

Quote:

The rated current output is not critical. I would recommend 45A at a minimum. That will provide good charging times and allow for other 12V uses concurrently at a reasonable price.

Safe travels
Jack
Good travels.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Good travels.
I suppose it is somewhat important, since the coach mfg sized it that way.

Just suggesting that I would not replace a 50 amp rated converter with a 30 amp unit.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I suppose it is somewhat important, since the coach mfg sized it that way.

Just suggesting that I would not replace a 50 amp rated converter with a 30 amp unit.
Yes, absolutely agree – the current unit is a 55 amp converter and I will likely replace it with PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).

Tags
battery, converter