Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2008 Tour 40TD Slide Lock?

Hello, I own a 2008 Winnebago Tour Model 40 TD. I have 2 large slides and they each have a slide lock. One controlled from the Auto Leveling compartment in the front of the coach and one in the Bedroom. They used to make a clicking noise when they locked and unlocked, now I don't hear that clicking from either lock and I am wondering if they are working or not? I have checked the 12 V fuses and they are fine. I think these locks maybe in the upper cabinets behind a plastic cover which is about 12 in x 14 in x 2 inch. Any suggestions? Nothing in my service manual. Many thanks in advance.
Jim Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Jim, if you search this forum or others such as IRV2, you'll see this is a common issue.

Ours stopped working several years ago. We spent many hours manually tracing wiring, fuses, etc. Ultimately, we changed the rocker switch (in our case on the dash). It stopped working about a year ago. Tested the switch. Something else this time. Not as worried as we were the 1st time.

We are byway as opposed to highway folks. We have close to 20K miles during slide lock out of commission periods, Slide stayed put. Have read a number of like experiences.

Having said that, you are correct, the mechanism is enclosed in a plastic cover in your upper cabs. Cover easily removed. Dry paintbrush will remove all the dust. Solenoid operated plunger. Lay a multi-meter across the contacts for voltage check while cycling the rocker switch. Perhaps a little dry lube on the plunger? Also, check to see if the drain tube is clogged. That will be a small orifice on the outside wall opposite the lock.

Good Luck!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide