Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2007 F53 Chassis: Alternator Charge Question

My coach is a 2008 Siteseer 30b. The chassis is 2007 F53. Can someone point me in the right direction to understand how the charging system works from the alternator and onboard charger perspective.

More specifically, I'd like to understand how the charge flows to the house battery and the current range expected.

I am looking to replace the onboard house batteries with lithium batteries and want to educate myself on what charges flow from alternator and the onboard charger to the house battery bank.

I believe from specs the alternator current is 130amp but I can't imagine this is the current that flows to the battery. Something tells me what is too high a current for charging so there must be a reduction that happens somewhere between the alternator and the house battery.
pinchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

pinchio-

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for your coach:

Table of Contents

See sheet 1 of the

Body, 12V Wiring Diagram

for the BATTERY MODE solenoid that connects the chassis batteries and the house batteries. It's pretty simple; the battery banks are connected when:

1) you push the BATT BOOST switch, or
2) when the engine is running (if the BATT BOOST switch is in that position)

Nothing else... no special timing circuits, voltage threshold circuits, or the like. If the alternator voltage exceeds the voltage of the combined battery banks, then a charging current flows from the alternator, to the chassis batteries, through the BATTERY MODE solenoid to the house batteries.

You might want to look at this active thread, too:

Converting to Lithium house batteries

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you possibly overlooking a small point and thinking the total 130 amp will go to the battery immediately? The difference in potential of the alternator putting out a max around 14 volts, while the battery has a lower potential of maybe 10 volts, holds the current flow down to reasonable level and avoids blowing up the battery. Same as when dealing with a dead car battery and then you jump start it. At first the flow is pretty high to the dead battery but it reduces as that voltage begins to approach the output voltage of the alternator.
So, while you have a possible output of 130 amp it usually is not going near that level.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53