Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 sprinter 3500 won't crank

I have a 2005 View that only makes a single click when the ignition is turned.The engine will not turn over. The battery is good. the starter and solenoid are good.Anyone run into this problem? Appreciate any help or direction. Many thanks
roadkingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This fits exactly what happens when the cables along the route are corroded/dirty at some connection!

One of the places to miss is at the "mega fuses" along the route as they can be in places where we might not look. On my 2015 Vista, that was out of the battery compartment, on the outside of the frame, just behind the front wheel.

A terribly wet place where it got all the wheel splash as well as road oil, etc. making it look like a simple blob as it was a rubber cover that my eye simply did not admit was a cable connection!

I could reach in behind/over the wheeel toget to the right spot. Removing , sanding clean, retighten and some Noxide-A fixed me up.

Picky point that prevents looking at the correct drawing? You seem to have three different RV listed in your info, two different on the post and a third in your profile? But none of those list a 3500 model?
Maybe do a check of the label near the drivers side and see if you can clear up the model?

This is the general plan for the tape ID markers on the cable ends to help sort which to chase. It looks like the red tape is correct for starter cables, so tracing it may help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f battery cable code.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	182618  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I think this should help. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 5.27.36 PM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	182631  
Old 04-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I believe it is a 2006 winnebago view on a 2005 sprinter chassis.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, sorry about missing that point. The RV portion is a 2016 View and mounted on a 2015 Sprinter and that is where the 3500 comes in! I failed to connect the dots and was looking at it from the RV rather than chassis.

This communications stuff is harder than it looks!

But that is where they can leaving us hanging when we get into looking for info on the chassis portion of the RV as we have to get that from the auto folks and they are kind of hard to get good info at times.

I'm more used to the click being a repeated click, first as the starter solenoid pulls up, but when the starter motor pulls current trying to move, the voltage goes too low and the solenoid drops off, only to pull up again when the motor is not rying to move and then repeats the whole thing, click, click, click, until we let loose of the key!
But the gremlins have lots of ways to try to fool us.....
Old 04-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thanks for reply! I have an older view. It is a 2006 rv on a 2005 dodge sprinter chassis. I wish it were a 2015 and 2016 model!
Old 04-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sorry, forgot to slap myself to make sure I was awake!
Looking at things, it looks like the 2006 Rv is the first year for the View. That puts it into an area of good and bad info. On the good side, the electrical drawings are more complete and lots of times give us a wire by wire schematic but then on the down side after 2010 they give us a great parts sectionwhere we can turn things all around and get a super view of what's in/under the RV!
In case you need them later?

Parts here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Wiring here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Drilling down to more detail on the electrical, I found this that shows the wire route for the start cable from battery to starter. Sheet one and two both have different views of the route.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_151356.pdf

But what I'm seeing makes me back off a bit on the mega fuse idea as that may have been a safety thing that came later. Basic idea is that they are a super size 300-500 amp which only work in things like a crash and the wires get mashed, so the fuse blows to keep it all from catching fire?!!!

But these drawing sshow none and the route seems to be pretty short and normal, so that may lean me toward something more like the starter solenoid may not be good, the starter ground not good and clean, etc.

The thing that kills us can be that we put a new starter or solenoid on but it is bad!
A couple ways I think of to go?
One might try using a jumper cable, etc. to make sure there battery power is getting through the cables to the battery. Sure the start battery is good? So maybe do a type of jump start to see if it works better?

Or one might take the cables off the battery and starter and test it end to end to see it is good and solid with no high resistance?
The starter circuit on RV is much like a car. Good battery, good clean cables to a good solenoid and starter that is well grounded. Rv have several other odd things like how to charge each battery set, but the starter is fairly plain stuff.

Turning the key tells the solenoid to operate and that is the click you hear but then it is not getting good battery to the starter motor.
Sorry, you probably knew that but I'm still talking to myself here!
Old 05-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

No Start

We have a 2007 on a 2006 Sprinter 3500. Ours does the same thing if I just turn the key trying to start it like a gas fueled car/truck. I now turn the key, but not far enough to engage the starter, I watch for the yellow coil light on the speedo to light and go out, I repeat this another 3 times, after that it will normally fire right up. I don’t know if she diesels have heat coils like the older diesels, but you may have to warm some parts up prior to starting. Just my experience. Best of luck!
usaborn_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaborn_01 View Post
We have a 2007 on a 2006 Sprinter 3500. Ours does the same thing if I just turn the key trying to start it like a gas fueled car/truck. I now turn the key, but not far enough to engage the starter, I watch for the yellow coil light on the speedo to light and go out, I repeat this another 3 times, after that it will normally fire right up. I don’t know if she diesels have heat coils like the older diesels, but you may have to warm some parts up prior to starting. Just my experience. Best of luck!
I had that happen on my 2018 Sprinter chassis, was irritating until it flat would not start or turn over. Finally after an hour the thing started, took it to Mercedes and there is a nuetral safety switch in the transmission that is the culprit, it overheats and doesnt go in right position stopping the start sequence. they had to replace the valve body in the transmission with the switch assembly. since than zero start failures. Also service advisor said never leave key in the ignition when stopped, ie gas station etc. this tells that nuetral safety solenoid to energize and heat up. He also said Mercedes has had this issue a long time but wont tell anybody.