Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboles View Post
Thank you all for comments. Lots of great info here on making the swap to 6v. As much as I would like to buy lithium, its just not in the budget at this time. Thanks again everyone!
bjboles,
Well, first off, our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, is very, very similar to your coach. About 99.9999% of the wiring etc. is the exact same. YES, YES, YES, YES, YOUR HOUSE BATTERIES DO CHARGE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!!!! Why it's so hard for some (not you) to understand that is beyond me. You have, in the very front of your coach, a hinged *hood*, so to speak. It's the one you lift to gain access to the top of your generator.

When you lift that hood, directly in front of your eye balls is a panel. The cover is held on with thumb twist fasteners. On that cover, you will see the labels: "Aux Batt Solenoid & Battery shut off solenoid* or, at least something to that effect, its been a while since I worked on one of those. Annnnnnywwwwwayy, once that cover is removed, you will see those two solenoids. One is larger than the other.

The smaller of the two, I think it's the one on the right but, again, been a while, is the house battery shut off solenoid. It is controlled by a rocker switch on your dash. The other solenoid, a larger one, is a DUAL DUTY SOLENOID. The first duty is:

When you push on the Aux Batt Boost rocker on your dash, you send a signal to that solenoid. That solenoid when triggered in this fashion, now connects the HOUSE batteries to the CHASSIS batteries, so that if your chassis batteries are too low in voltage/amperage to start the engine, your house batteries will assist.

The second duty of that solenoid is:

When you start your engine, an *ignition HOT lead* is also attached to that larger solenoid and, it also engages that solenoid. When that happens, your alternator IS NOW SENDING VOLTAGE/AMPERAGE to your house batteries! Winne and Itasca has wired it that way for quite a while, especially on the diesel coaches.

In the lower (if you want to call a Vectra, Horizon, Journey and Meridian a "Lower unit, in the lineup of their products), Winne and Itasca DID NOT USE ANY BIRD OR ANY OTHER THINKING BATTERY CONTROL/CHARGING SYSTEM. However, on the higher end Winnes, like the Ultimate Freedom, yes, they did use a BIRD system.

But, on yours, ours and a few zillion other Vectras, Horizons, Journeys and Meridians, that Trombetta solenoid IS the link for charging the house batteries during engine running/driving the coach operations. However, in some cases, that solenoid can and has failed. Some folks got shore life out of theirs while others, like myself, got 11 years out of mine before it began to fail. Can you hear the solenoid *click* when you do it manually with the Aux Bat Boost switch or, when you turn the ignition on? Yes. But, does it mean it's allowing voltage to pass through it for charging, not always.

There are contacts and a contact plate inside that unit. And, over time, with such a large amount of voltage being conducted through it and slamming open and shut, those contact become carboned up due to the arcing when it's opened and closed. Can they be repaired? Well, yeah, if you're the energetic type like myself and a few others. But, in the end, they will fail again.
So, the best thing to do when you notice if failing or, if you're the well prepared type, you can order a *Silver contact* version of that same solenoid which, should last triple the amount of time the original one lasted. The Silver Contacts are much more resistant to carbon arcing.

So, that's the system you have. Hope this has helped some. Now, as stated, I did the house battery swap from the junk, three 12V Interstates that were in ours when we purchased it, to four Costco GC 6V batteries. I did all the measuring etc. and, yep, those GC 6V units, four of them, will fit that tray without any modification. Now, again, I'm talking an '04 Itasca Horizon. Yours is a Journey. They *should* be identical but, you better get your trusty tape measure out, just to be sure.

I made my own connecting 1GA battery cables that are in between the four batteries. The original ones worked for connecting to the coach systems. While I was in there, I cleaned up much of the parasitic wiring that Winne/Itasca was too lazy to wire correctly.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	176296  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up,
Thank you very much! Very clean 6v install. So when I flip the battery boost switch when the coach is running the house batteries will charge along with the chassis batteries? Does the House Battery rocker switch have to be in the "on" position?
Old 12-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Fire Up,
Thank you very much! Very clean 6v install. So when I flip the battery boost switch when the coach is running the house batteries will charge along with the chassis batteries? Does the House Battery rocker switch have to be in the "on" position?
bjboles,
No Sir. Remember, that solenoid has two duties. The first one is when you MANUALLY push that Aux Batt Boost rocker on the dash, when you need extra juice from the coach batteries, to help the chassis batteries to crank over your engine.

But, from that point on, it's all automatic. When you start your engine, you get a HOT signal from the ignition, that goes to that same solenoid. And that hot signal energizes that solenoid to join the two battery systems together so that the alternator can charge the house batteries, as well as the chassis batteries, without any input from you. Now, you CAN push that Aux Batt Boost rocker but, it won't do any good because, it's already engaged, via the signal from the ignition 'cause your engine is already running.
Scott

P.S. Here's an easy test for you to see if that solenoid, is doing what it's supposed to.

1. Get your trusty VOM or, Volt Ohm Meter out and set it to 12VDC. With your engine off, check the voltage on your house batteries. Note the reading.

2. Now, start the engine. Give it about a minute, then, check the voltage on those house batteries again, with the engine running. Note the voltage.

3. Compare the voltage readings. IF, that solenoid is performing as designed, and the system is working as designed, you should see a higher reading at those batteries, when that engine is running. If you don't, proceed back to step one again, and reconfirm the coach battery readings, when the engine is OFF.

4. Then, perform step 2 again, and note the reading. If you still don't have an improvement in readings, Houston, we have a problem! But, we won't go there 'till you report back with your readings.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

When you do the test above, be sure you are disconnected from shore power or the voltage from the inverter/charger may be higher than the voltage from the engine so you may not see an increase in voltage.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Just info for using 4 6v GC2. I converted my 2 12v to 4 6v in 2011, got 6 years service, always lots of power for a few nights. Now on my second set, working great. I do have them mounted on a 3/4" rubber pad, and tied down. I check the water once a month, rarely do I add more than 1/2 cup to all combined. Purchased both sets at Costco, 1st time they were $75 each, 2nd time they were $85 each. Other than wiring them in (series and parallel), the RV circuitry handles them with no changes.
My experience is the same. In addition, I installed a Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit. It makes keeping your batteries topped off a cinch, no mess, no flashlight, no exposing yourself to acid:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...s%2C264&sr=8-2
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

So I got a smoking deal on these batteries. AGMs should do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210128_173432.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	177016   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210128_173453.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	177017  

bjboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G (essentially a Journey 36). Assuming your have same stuff.

The Kwikee tray is rated for 200 lbs. I put 4 6V Lifeline Agms in about 8 yrs ago. That's about 260 lbs, and 440 Ah or 220 usable. So far the tray hasn't fallen out. Agms don't need monthly maintenance and have liked that for all this time. Still a quarter to a third price of Lithium. CostCo is less.

Happy with the service I have gotten.
Alex
Did these 6v batterys fit in the tray without tray modification think of changing my 3 12v
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Another nice feature of AGM is that they have a higher cycle life of flooded batteries when the discharge is higher than 50%. 80% discharge still yields 700 cycles!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DOD.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	177022  
Old 01-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #29
Site Team

Will 4-GC2 batteries fit in a battery compartment made for 3-Group 27s?
Old 01-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
Did these 6v batterys fit in the tray without tray modification think of changing my 3 12v
It seems like I have seen posts in this forum where people have put 4 golf cart batteries in the tray.

Go online to Trojan batteries and look up the dimensions of GC2 batteries and then measure the tray to see how you will fit them.

You will need some new short cables to interconnect the new 6V batteries. Amazon is one source for the cables.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

My friend just bought a 2004 winnebego journey 32t it had 4 6v batterys in place of 3 12v previous owner had modified the tray to fit 4 6 v batterys.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
So I got a smoking deal on these batteries. AGMs should do the trick.
Hey, where did you get those batteries. I am trying to find just one to replace mine.
BrianOrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries, journey, winnebago