Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2004 Winnebago

I have a 2004 journey.When I plug my shore power up will it charge my house batteries up? THanks
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes it will, if all is working as designed.

It will have a converter/charger or an inverter/charger for that purpose.

You may need to have the use/store switch on, for charging and maintaining your batteries, while on shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

THanks twinboat
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerdog View Post
I have a 2004 journey.When I plug my shore power up will it charge my house batteries up? THanks
Sewerdog,
We have an almost sister ship to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. About 98% of the Winnes and Itascas of that era came equipped with the Dimensions 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger. Those are what's known as a "Quasi-wave" (same as a modified sign wave) Inverter. The charger side is designed with FOUR stages of battery charging for your house batteries.

Three are used on a regular basis. The fourth is used as a maintenance/desulfating/equalizing phase. The way your charger works is like this:

Lets say your house batteries are drained pretty well, from "boon docking" or, remote camping without shore power. When you plug your coach in, your Inverter/charger goes into action. It will recognise just what your batteries need. In this case, it will go into its deepest/strongest charging operation. That phase is called "Bulk" charge rate. At this rate, it's working to put max charge in, to bring them to the next level. When it's achieved that, it goes into what's called "Acceptance" charge rate. That is a mid-level charge rate that is of less amperage to start to "calm" the batteries down and get them ready for the final charge rate.
And that rate is the "Float" charge rate. That rate is primarily a maintenance charge rate that will take them down to as little as 1 amp or less, depending on if or, how many, parasitic loads may or may not be applied to the house batteries.
Sorry for the long explanation but, didn't know how much you knew your system. This is all of course, assuming you have the Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

THanks Scott for the info!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My friend has a '04 Journey. There's a pushbutton on the dash labeled AUX Battery Off On. This needs to be pressed ON for shore power to charge the batts as I recall. Best to carry a digital meter to check so you know.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
My friend has a '04 Journey. There's a pushbutton on the dash labeled AUX Battery Off On. This needs to be pressed ON for shore power to charge the batts as I recall. Best to carry a digital meter to check so you know.
Jim,
On our coach, (described above), the house battery switch, can be in either OFF or ON, and shore power (actually the Inverter/charger) will continue to charge the house batteries. I have verified that with a VOM to be sure. It will also charge the chassis batteries IF, provisions are in place for that. i.e. "Trik-L-Start" or, "Amp-L-Start".
Scott
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

With " Converter " equipped MHs, the battery switch needs to be ON, because the converter is tied into the system at the fuse panel.

With " Inverter/Charger " equipped MHs the switch can be left OFF, because most inverters are connected directly to the batteries. This is so they can keep the cable run short and with few connections, to minimize voltage drop.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With " Converter " equipped MHs, the battery switch needs to be ON, because the converter is tied into the system at the fuse panel.

With " Inverter/Charger " equipped MHs the switch can be left OFF, because most inverters are connected directly to the batteries. This is so they can keep the cable run short and with few connections, to minimize voltage drop.
You're probably right with the exception of many of our era Itascas and Winnes. They set the batteries up on the passenger side, right behind the duals and, the inverter/charger is on the drivers side, behind the duals. On Journeys and Meridians, the bone heads at the factory set the battery disconnect solenoid and the dual duty/auxiliary start solenoid, is right along side the other one, ALL THE WAY UP FRONT, in a panel, above the generator. Talk about long cable runs!!!!
Scott

Tags
winnebago