Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2004 Merition w/Cat 350 Sorry I have a Battery Question

Just bought our coach less then 2 weeks ago and I have a couple questions...
I'll get one out of the way. First my House batteries are Maxxstart Maxx-29 from Wal-Mart dates 6-10.. Yes I know they should be re=placed sooner and not later.... But they charge well and are serving us to the time being.

Now my Chassis Batteries are 2 12 volt Interstate's wired to provide 24 volts to the Cat 350..... 1 is dated 2-15 the other is dated 8-15 Yes 2015 6 months apart.... Now the story;

While at the dealer the salesmen went to start the coach and nothing batteries DEAD...... He pushed the Boost Button for about 7 to 10 minutes and it started..... Hmmmmm I am thinking Chassis batteries are shot. Before I bought the coach they did a LOAD test and they tested fine. When I picked up the coach it was running and while there I shut it off and started it several times with no problem... Now being it is home and it has been chilly here (mid 30's) the few times I have started it to have new tires installed and engine serviced it was HARD to start and by that I mean the Glow Plug took 45 to 60 seconds to turn off and when I cranked the starter it would not start until at least 20 seconds of cranking and sometimes I had to do that 3 times until it finely started up. It would crank and it would sound like it started but it was not...... When I had it serviced the Mechanic (he load tested them also and they were fine) noticed that the + battery cable was loose and wires were not in the connection very good so I had new ends installed. Hoping that was the problem (Voltage Drop) but it wasn't.......

With the starting batteries dates being 6 months apart could that be the problem......... Mechanic suggested I leave the key on for a couple days and KILL the batteries, then remove them and take them to Interstate and have them replaced being they are under and year old?????

Opinions WANTED......... Thanks LeeB
Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First off, are you sure it's 24 volt start ?

You can't boost 24 volts from a 12 volt house bank.

6 months apart on battery age shouldn't be an issue, as long as they test good.

If you can pre heat 60 seconds and then crank 3, 20 second intervals, I don't think you have a battery problem.

You may have a problem withholding your fuel prime or just need more pre heat. Do you have a block heater to plug in to 120 power ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
First off, are you sure it's 24 volt start ?

You can't boost 24 volts from a 12 volt house bank.

6 months apart on battery age shouldn't be an issue, as long as they test good.

If you can pre heat 60 seconds and then crank 3, 20 second intervals, I don't think you have a battery problem.

You may have a problem withholding your fuel prime or just need more pre heat. Do you have a block heater to plug in to 120 power ?
There is 2 12volt batteries wired + to + and - to - for the engine...... Knowing me I am wrong is my assumption......

If it is a fuel prime problem. What's the fix? Same for more Pre-Heat?

Yes I do have a block heater but me being here in California and it not reaching below 32 for any length of time I didn't think it necessary. I have had other Diesel's and never had to plug them in

Thanks for the response........
Old 12-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The + to + is parallel wiring.

Look on the engine fuel filter for a push pull pump. Sometimes the pump handle is not screwed down.

If it's in the 30s, plug it in for 3 or 4 hours and see what happens. If it starts right up, you know it's not a fuel problem.

You could also pre heat, turn the key off and cycle it again, before cranking it over.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The + to + is parallel wiring.

Look on the engine fuel filter for a push pull pump. Sometimes the pump handle is not screwed down.

If it's in the 30s, plug it in for 3 or 4 hours and see what happens. If it starts right up, you know it's not a fuel problem.

You could also pre heat, turn the key off and cycle it again, before cranking it over.

Good luck
Thanks I'll give plugging in a try tomorrow (I already started it today) and key on off is a good idea also..... Thanks......
Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Lee,
My previous coach ( a 2006 Journey with 350 Caterpillar ) was hard starting like yours when the outside temperature was in the low 30's. I found that using the block heater for 2 to 3 hrs before starting made a world of difference in how quickly it starts.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Lee,
My previous coach ( a 2006 Journey with 350 Caterpillar ) was hard starting like yours when the outside temperature was in the low 30's. I found that using the block heater for 2 to 3 hrs before starting made a world of difference in how quickly it starts.

Sammie
That's what I do with mine if I have to start in anything below 50! I load test my battery's every spring one by one. Not a sure thing but at least I know they are good or marginal when I test them.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

CAT C7 Start Procedure when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Just bought our coach less then 2 weeks ago and I have a couple questions...
I'll get one out of the way. First my House batteries are Maxxstart Maxx-29 from Wal-Mart dates 6-10.. Yes I know they should be re=placed sooner and not later.... But they charge well and are serving us to the time being.

Now my Chassis Batteries are 2 12 volt Interstate's wired to provide 24 volts to the Cat 350..... 1 is dated 2-15 the other is dated 8-15 Yes 2015 6 months apart.... Now the story;

While at the dealer the salesmen went to start the coach and nothing batteries DEAD...... He pushed the Boost Button for about 7 to 10 minutes and it started..... Hmmmmm I am thinking Chassis batteries are shot. Before I bought the coach they did a LOAD test and they tested fine. When I picked up the coach it was running and while there I shut it off and started it several times with no problem... Now being it is home and it has been chilly here (mid 30's) the few times I have started it to have new tires installed and engine serviced it was HARD to start and by that I mean the Glow Plug took 45 to 60 seconds to turn off and when I cranked the starter it would not start until at least 20 seconds of cranking and sometimes I had to do that 3 times until it finely started up. It would crank and it would sound like it started but it was not...... When I had it serviced the Mechanic (he load tested them also and they were fine) noticed that the + battery cable was loose and wires were not in the connection very good so I had new ends installed. Hoping that was the problem (Voltage Drop) but it wasn't.......

With the starting batteries dates being 6 months apart could that be the problem......... Mechanic suggested I leave the key on for a couple days and KILL the batteries, then remove them and take them to Interstate and have them replaced being they are under and year old?????

Opinions WANTED......... Thanks LeeB
I have the same coach and engine, dated 2007.

First, the CAT engine is a slow-cranker; meaning it needs to build up oil pressure before it fires. Therefore it cranks longer than the equivalent Cummins engine. Not unusual to have it crank for 10-20 seconds before it fires, maybe longer.

Second, the grid heater (no glow plugs) will take about 30 seconds to cycle before the 'wait-to-start' light goes out, especially below 40 degrees. If it's very cold out, best practice is to cycle the grid heater 2X and possibly 3X to get it to start more rapidly. Using the engine block heater is recommended below 40F as well. A couple hours is all it will take if it's around freezing outside.

From your description, I don't see any big warning signs that you have any battery issues. It sounds like everything is working as it should.

Mine behaves the same way. I have my original start batteries from when the chassis was built in 2006 (knock on wood) .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

LeeB,
You have a PM.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ok lesson learned I now know what to expect when I go to start my Cat......

Thanks again soooooooo much.......... LeeB

Tags
battery, cat