Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2003 Itasca Suncruiser no power to dash.

Hi I'm having problem getting ant power to dash and ignition after changing starter. Checked power to starter and I got power to there. Not sure where the fuseable links are to check.any help is much appreciated.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Evening to you! That's no way to end a nice weekend, with having RV trouble.

Unfortunatly, the drawing info we get from Winnebago is pretty limited when we get into the items that are part of the "stripped chassis" they buy to add the RV coach part on top.
That means we get very little info from them for wiring of the things that normally come on most cars and trucks and we have to go to the folks like Ford, Chevy, etc to get details on automotive wiring.

But there are lots of folks here who may have just the right bit of info to help.
So maybe let me ask a few questions to get it started. One big one is what model of 2003 Suncruiser you may have as big ones can be quite different than shorter or come on different chassis. Do you happen to know who built the chassis? That helps to cut the possible areas to search!

But maybe a few ideas of where things might be found would help.
When you tell us about the trouble, did you mean you don't get ANY power or antenna power? Typos sneak in on me lots of times!

If you mean not any power, does that mean no lights, no horn, wipers as well as won't start? Are we speaking the same when I think of fuses and you call them fusable links?

General idea for finding what I would call fuses would be that there will be more than one set and box of them. One or more for inside RV things and then the one you likely need to find for the automotive items.
That second group is more likely to be in a box out under the front hood. Any chance you have an owners manual for the chassis itself that might point to drawings of the fuse box or help finding it?
Some of those will have labels stamped into the plastic of the top cover, so a check there might turn up some good info.
My general idea is that most electronics will start with a power feed going into the fuse box that carries lots of power (larger fuse?) that then breaks down to feed the smaller ciruit fuses for each item.
So if you are missing lots of different power to lots of different items, like horn,lights, etc, etc. then I want to pay more attention to the really big fuses as a common fault which might kill lots of smaller circuits.

On getting power to the starter, that can tell us a bit.
There is the 12Volt power cable from the battery to the starter which I suspect is good but then there is a smaller circuit which feeds the small wire as to the ignition key.
They key is a switch that makes a solenoid close contacts which make the big cables work.
Sometimes called a slave relay setup as the little wires in the key make contacts close to make the big guys do the real work!~
So I think you are seeing the big guy voltage get to the starter but the little guy wires are not getting the power to let them close the contacts.

We might find some folks with your RV or near enought to be able to spot the fuse box for you, but that is my best guess for right now??
Good luck to you on the bug hunt!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, itasca, power, suncruiser