Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2001 Itasca Suncruiser coach fluorescent lighting problem

We have a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser that is currently experiencing a problem with the two ceiling fluorescent light fixtures in the coach area. They are two 15inch fixtures run by a switch on the wall above the switch for the hallway light. The light was working then went off and when reset 10 minutes later came back on. Then they went off again and have not been able to reset. The wiring diagram I downloaded from winnebago does not show these two fixtures. Any and all help is deeply appreciated. Thank you.
mikew60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Are the ends of the tubes darkened? They might need new tubes. If it was me, I wouldn't put any effort into them. I'd replace them with LED fixtures. You may also be able to replace just the tubes with LED tubes.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Lighting problem

The tubes are brand new and work in the third fixture in the coach. I’m thinking I have a wire problem as it is sporadic so either the switch is too old or the other connection end maybe the problem. Thanks for the update on led I wonder if they are available at walmart
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Many of the big box stores do carry LED replacement tubes, however what may fit a fixture in an RV can be a question. The 15 inch may not be easy to find for retrofit. Rather than ever deal with the tubes again, I would also recommend switching to LED., even if it meant switching both out to replace with a far more common 48 inch.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again I’ll have to check on 15inch because a 48 is definitely out of the question for a retro as they are in the ceiling with the exhaust fan in between
Old 03-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Post the tube number and we can help look it up.

Or just Google it yourself. I searched on 15 inch LED replacement tube and got several hits.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks the tube number is f15t8cw and my mistake they are 18”
Old 03-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew60 View Post
Thanks again I’ll have to check on 15inch because a 48 is definitely out of the question for a retro as they are in the ceiling with the exhaust fan in between
YUP! That would really make it hard, for sure. So maybe it gets back to what you might have asked at first before we threw in too much of what we like, not what you actually have or need.
Maybe some thoughts on how to figure what's wrong with what you have is better.
Most common might be for both lights to run out on wiring from the switch with wire from the switch to first one and then the wire extend to the next. What that gets back to is the problem is quite likely to be at the switch or "maybe" at the first light. So to keep it simple, I might first look at the switch as the bad guy.
How's the experience with electricity? Not wanting to tell you all the safety things if you feel okay with that but not wanting to talk you into blowing the end off a finger!
For most, turning the AC power off is easy at a house but on an RV, I might guess you have a fixture that works off the shore power or an inverter when not connected. Got to make sure ALL ac power is off before digging in too far.
Once power is off and get the switch out of the wall, I might try just taking the two wires and wrapping them together for a bit to see if that powers up the lights when the power is turned back on. If they work right, call the switch bad, huh? If they don't, start at the next light and see if the wires are good to it. Meters are nice but we can get by without them if we have to, so give that a bit of looking and tell us what's found? Connections should all be in places where we can access them and wires rarely give trouble other than at the connections, so it just comes down to finding those access points.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again I found a slip on lug for the switch that is loose not to mention some buildup on the switch contact seems to be the problem and thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions which I am going to look into the led for sure hopefully they are easily available
Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Very good and thanks for reporting! Wish all of life could be so simple?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
WinnieAdven38

Go to M4 Lighting and order their LED replacement fluorescent tubes. They put out better light, use less power, and come on instantly. Takes a little bit of re-wiring but it;s worth it.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, light, suncruiser