Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2 TV's on Wally Receiver

New to this forum! I bought a Wally receiver with Dish King Portable Satellite. Install easy except that my manual says Entertainment Center outside should play same thing as living room team from satellite. I have tried everything and cannot get the exterior entertainment center to play. I have some colored plugs (green, blue, yellow, red, white) in cabinet above passenger seat where we hooked up the receiver but not sure where they would go. Also unclear on how I can keep antenna hooked up with the satellite hooked up. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
cross0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Those colored cable are “component” TV connections. If you have one set plugged into the Wally running directly to your main TV that’s why you don’t have SAT signal on any other TV.

I’m pretty sure the Wally does not have a RF cable output, only HDMI and component outputs. So, to use it on the outside TV you would need to either get an HDMI splitter and run separate HDMI cables to each TV. Or get a component to RF cable converter (I suppose there are HDMI to RF converters, but I haven’t seen them). Then just plug your RF cable into your RV’s cable tv input. That should send TV signal to all TVs.

There should be a tiny cable/antenna button on your cable input. You use this to toggle between antenna and cable TV.

PS. In my experience running two TVs at once from the Wally produces a snowy picture on both TVs. Of course you know that they have to be on the same channel, right?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the great information! I will give Wally company a call and see if there are options that you mention below. And yes on same channel which we are fine with as we primarily watch a game or listen to music.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Hi again Creative Part - is this the part you reference above?

https://www.dishformyrv.com/rf-modulator/
Old 05-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Team

I see no info about any part in your post.

Dish Network (the Wally company) doesn’t sell converters at a reasonable price. Check Amazon. I think you may need to educate yourself a bit more to understand what you need and how to use it.

Do you have a friend that is savvy about electronics and video?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Because I’m a moderator here I was able to fix your post. You posted a web page as an image, which obviously can’t work. I changed it to a page link. So yes that is what you need and it’s not a bad price at all. I thought Dish was selling those at $50 in the past.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You can always get a wireless HDMI transmitter/reciever and be able to watch outside. ActionTec makes one that I used for a couple years here in the S&B. Worked well. Not cheap, but does the job. ActionTec Wireless HDMI
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Yes that’s a option I should have mentioned. I just have never used one of those. On my previous RV I had a Wally connected directly to the living Roon TV via a HDMI cable and used a RF converter to take component outputs on the Wally to feed the cable TV input in the RV to feed the bedroom and outdoor TVs.

It worked well enough, but HDMI is much better than component or RF. And having 2 TVs on at the same time produced a poor picture on both TVs.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Changing channels the Wally remotes have to be RF. Don't know how that would come into play Other than that the HDMI Wireless Transmitter worked well for me here in the S&B.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:47 AM   #10
Site Team

The Wally does come with an RF remote. Plus it can be network connected via Ethernet out of the box or you can add a WiFi dongle. There is also an OTA adapter available to connect your antenna to get locals. Lastly it has a USB port to attach a HD to make it a DVR.

It’s a pretty good unit.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

DISH for RV sells a converter for your needs, $20. Just hooked it up to my Wally using component cables and the built in distribution system. I hooked the Wally up to the main TV using HDMI cable.
Works pretty good but as stated before both TVs must view the same program.
I’m considering a second Wally for bedroom. Split the SAT in cable and send the signal to second Wally using the coaches coax cable BUT... messes up the OAT antenna option.
I need to figure out how to EASILY run additional cables to bedroom from entertainment center.
2008 Journey.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking to add a sat dish to my MW 25b. 2 tvs one person, hd or no hd, I just want tv when i'm out there boondocking.
The one tv sat dish, can it run 2 tvs one at a time? if so would it take a splitter or a different receiver.
Thanks for any additional info.
waianaegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The Wally receiver has a HDMI and composite cable output. It will allow two TVs to view the same programming (one using HDMI the other using composite).
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thought I'd throw this in. We have an older used (2003) coach that came with a crank up SD round dish, two SD TVs and no sat receiver. The LNB was DOA so we replaced it with Directv Winegard automatic dish and a inexpensive HD Directv receiver. We have Directv at home with two receivers there and the coach receiver is on the same account.

We replaced the boat anchor front tv with a HD 32 in Samsung. The receiver puts out HDMI directly to the TV. The old wiring from the factory is routed to the "box of many buttons" in the overhead. From that switch, wires go to the little boat anchor TV in the bedroom. That TV is SD and is connected to the box in the overhead using RG 59. To get it to work I bought a Phillips brand RF modulator and used the composite out set of jacks which are Red, White, Yellow. The receiver we have is the only small footprint receiver that Directv has with composite jacks which are right, left and audio. Most receivers made today have discontinued that type of jack and utilize HDMI and / or component jacks which can carry HD. These are are red, green and blue. They cannot always carry HD due to copyright issues. We have no out door TV connected because you can barely see a screen in sunlight. Plus we go camping to be outside not glued to an idiot box as my dad used to say.

One other way that the systems can connect we've done with one 65 in TV at home. Using a single Directv receiver we connected its HDMI into an AV receiver. All our components connect to that receiver (blu ray, fire stick, cd changer, audio dock). The audio comes thru a 7.1 speaker system which is overkill for network tv viewing so I connected the component output on the receiver directly to the TV and the audio comes thru the TV speakers. I've seen similar setups done by ingenious folks in motor homes and trailers.

If we were to replace the never used bedroom tv (except when I play directv music on it) we'd get a wireless HDMI setup that acts like a wireless bridge between a sat receiver and a remotely located TV. So long as it's a HD TV. I just don't need a second tv 29 feet away from the one over the dash. I can see and hear it just fine from the bedroom.

The only caveat with any single receiver set up is all TVs connected can only show what the receiver is sending out. To be able to view multiple stations each TV must have its own receiver and for Directv that means running RG6 or better to that location.
luckydog08 is offline   Reply With Quote