Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2 stage A/C compressor

Does my basement 02 Adventurer A/C have 2 compressors? How can I test for them?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ours does, should be the same unit.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When running my A/C my control panel shows approx. 14A does that mean only one compressor is functioning?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
When running my A/C my control panel shows approx. 14A does that mean only one compressor is functioning?
It should have 2 compressors and when both are running you should be using approximately 23-24 amps. It looks like only 1 compressor is working on your coach.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
Does my basement 02 Adventurer A/C have 2 compressors? How can I test for them?
Set the thermostat at least 5* above the ambient temperature in the coach. Then set the sliding switch to High Cool. After about a 5 to 10 second delay you should hear a click in the thermostat and the first compressor should start. The amperage display should read 14 - 16 amps then settle down to about 14 amps.

About 20 - 30 seconds later you should hear a second click from the thermostat. Then after a few second delay the second compressor should start. The amperage display should jump to about 26 amps then settle back to the 21 - 23 amp range.

If the thermostat doesn't click it isn't sending a signal to the compressors to start. If the thermostat does click it's sending the message. If the amperage meter doesn't rise a few seconds after you hear each click the compressor(s) are not kicking in.

Before going through the diagnosis make sure the circuit breakers for both compressors are on. We had a similar problem several years ago in our 2001 Adventurer. The number 1 compressor would start, but the #2 wouldn't come online.

Long story short I had inadvertently flipped the #2 compressor circuit breaker off when wiping some spilled water off the panel face.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On mine I can hear the second compressor turn on shortly after (probably around a minute) the first compressor starts.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If your running on the generator the second compressor is on the second breaker inside the generator cabinet so be certain to check the breakers in both locations.

The second compressor will not kick in unless the temperature get 2 degrees higher than what the thermostat is set at. You can set the thermostat 5 degrees lower than the current temperature inside the coach to get both compressors to go through their staged start sequence.

Note that while on the generator the amperage draw of the second compressor will not show on the panel.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
If your running on the generator the second compressor is on the second breaker inside the generator cabinet so be certain to check the breakers in both locations.

The second compressor will not kick in unless the temperature get 2 degrees higher than what the thermostat is set at. You can set the thermostat 5 degrees lower than the current temperature inside the coach to get both compressors to go through their staged start sequence.

Note that while on the generator the amperage draw of the second compressor will not show on the panel.
My Error. In my first post I said the thermostat should be set 5* higher than the ambient temp. It should be 5* lower as Neil mentions.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the service manual. It describes the sequence that things should happen in both cooling and heating modes. There is very detailed troubleshooting procedures and flow charts. There are LEDs on the control board that the service manual will tell you what to look for and probable cause.

The second link is a removal procedure that I wrote to get the basement unit out if you have to get inside where the motors are. The control board is easily accessed from the outside and that's where you will find the start cap & relays that commonly fail.

Good luck,
Bill
https://docs.google.com/viewer?
a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxiaWxsbWFyaW UyMDA4fGd4OjM5YWY0OGI4N2U4N2MzODE

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ
Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the information! It turns out the compressors are working just as you described.

David

Tags
compressor