Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1999 UA - Use of Gen-turi on Gen exaust

I am new to MHs with a lot still to learn. I have been reading other post about the use of Gen-turi extenders. Mostly the posts seem to relate to camping areas where a lot of MHs are close together. I am trying to keep my concerns as simple as possible for now, so is this something I should worry about for a limited use of the generator? Any documented problems with Winnebago MH if the units are not close? Is it OK to NOT worry about this for a few months?
daellishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It's OK not to worry, most people do not use them, especially for infrequent generator use.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do make sure you have a functional, RV rated, CO alarm in your rig, that you know the indicators of CO poisoning (see RV Generator Maintenance Quick Tip), and don't operate the genset when sleeping. See Generator Danger Warning at the CPSC and Publication 468 - What to Know: Generators and CO At USFA Portable Generator Hazards looks good, too.

There is no need to get paranoid but reasonable concerns and precautions are always worthwhile. Do read the owner's manuals and do pay attention to their advice and guidance regarding safety issues.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a Gen-turi that I use occasionally. My generator exhaust exits out the rear of the motorhome and if the wind is blowing toward the front of my motorhome then occasionally I can smell the exhaust. With the Gen-turi I can lift the exhaust up over the roof and eliminate the smell (or worse, the CO2). It is handy to have if you ever go to rallies where there are no electrical hookups. There are hundreds of motorhomes parked together which need to run their generators occasionally. The Gen-turi moves the noise up above the roof and also keeps you from spewing exhaust right at your neighbor.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

At ONE time. Onan wasa not in favor of the Gen-Turi. They said it caused to much back pressure. On our 5th MH. Never used one.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have one that we've used at rallies. Haven't used it on the current coach. The times we have used it we were in close quarters with other diesels..nose to nose in a chevron where our generator exaust was in the door of the next coach. Not a good situation. The genturi allow us to move that exaust plume away from the neighbor's door and made life more pleasant.

We haven't found it necessary to use it in a normal campground environment, although I can see where it could be necessary in some of the older, close quarter campgrounds.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Some Gen-turi facts

Generator exhaust has killed people... (As I recall it happened last year at the Indy-500, though this was a portable generator too close to a motor home or trailer)

On my coach (NOTE: yours will likely not do this) if I run the genrator more than a couple of hours on a calm day.. as installed (By the factory) I get a CO alarm Very annoying but frankly better than waking up dead.

WITH the Genturi,, I have an annual excuse to run the generator all night, in fact it runs for about 25 hours straight... It powers several 2-way radio stations (Amature Radio Field Day if you wish to know the excuse).. And with the Gen-Turi not a peep out of the CO detector.. Plus I wake up alive and kicking.

So, the recommendation, if you park out by yourself, is to have a GOOD CO detector properly mounted in your rig... If it never alarms. You may well not need a Gen-turi for wide open camping.

However.... On one of the first "Boondock" rallies I atteneded (no hookups) the person beside me did NOT have a Gen-Turi.. (I DID) HIS generator tripped my CO alarm.. (And since his was a diesel rig I could smell it too so I know it was a legit alarm).

Because of this several "Crowded boondocks" Like FMCA rallies and Indy. may ask (require) you to use a Genturi or equal

In the case of the neighbor... He did put on an extension hose that moved the exhaust out a ways, it helped. but I kept having alarms go off till I left the rally.

The next year at that same rally. I had not a peep out of my alarm.. However the couple camped next to me turned out to be very glad they were camped next to me... Their genrator failed.. My Motor home has a pair of 30 amp outlets so I can "Daisy Chain" to a neighbor if needed... They needed. They were parked next to the only two 30 amp outlets for at least 2 miles in all directions... (Even if they were only part time power outlets)
Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I bought a Genturi while at a rally where we were boondocking, and I always use it in that setting. When there is that much generator use, getting the exhaust above the roof of the coach is very helpful regardless of how close (or not) the rigs may be parked. We don't like our own diesel exhaust through an open window any more than we like someone else's!!

Only rarely have we used the Genturi outside of a rally setting. If boondocking on our own, and we want windows open, depending on the wind, we may want to use it.